Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for setting up new plane with new radio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Advice needed for setting up new plane with new radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for setting up new plane with new radio

In order to not do things bassackwards, please let me know how you set up the control surfaces with a computer radio (I own a Fut 9c).

Do I set the endpoint adjustment at the high rate setting and then set the high rate at %100 and the low rate accordingly?

Do I set the endpoint adjustment at %100 and set both high and low rates accordingly?

Am I making sense?

Associated question: My Venture 60 (BTE) has the following recommended "fairly mild" throws
ele. 5/8 up and down
rud. 1-1/4 left and right
ail. 1/2 up and 7/16 down

Would you consider these as low rates and if so, what would be a good high rate to start with for each?

Please don't tell me it is a matter of personal taste as I am too new to setting up a new airplane and radio to have any taste (?).

Thank you for any input.

PEACE
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 AM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: Advice needed for setting up new plane with new radio

Instead of using dual rates, you might consider exponential (EXPO). With the correct EXPO setting, small movements of the stick have very small effects on the control surfaces. However, big movements of the stick have big effects. I consider it to be the best compromise between having low rates and full travel of your servos without having to throw a switch.

Another way to think of EXPO is to think low rate for small stick movements, and high rate for big stick movements. It makes the center of stick movements kind of dead, but that is exactly what you want, but you still get the benefit of having full control range.

When I talk about forgetting the rate switch, if you've ever tried to do an emergency maneuver during landing when you forgot to turn on high rate, you know what I mean.

With EXPO, you set up all of your throws with EXPO off, then adjust the amount of EXPO to suit your taste when flying at full bore.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:05 AM
harphunt

Any thoughts??
Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 AM
IronCross

I usually do pretty much what you do... I leave the endpoint set at 100 percent... This lets me adjust the high/low rates together using the endpoint adjustment.. For the first flight I set the low rates to manufacturers specs... I leave the high rates at 100 percent... I take of on first flight on low rates... If something is seriously out of whack and I need more control I can then switch to high for more control... Generally I dislike expo although I do use it on the rudder low rate for tail draggers to help with ground control... I don't like the way the controls seem to over react after you move the stick out of the expo range... Just my preferances....
Old 04-23-2004, 07:41 PM
rjmdubois

I usually try to get mechanical linkage to achieve the high rate amplitude at 130-135% endpoint (maximun is 140), and 100% dual rate. Then I set the low rate to manufacturer specs using the lower rate. This way I can use servos' entire resolution, and reduce the mechanical play- meaning more precision. The only drawback is I loose some speed.

Just my 2c.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

First thing I would say is, stick with the recommended throws. The Venture 60 flies beautifully with these throws. 1/2" up & 7/16" down is all you'll ever need on ailerons. 1-1/2" left & right is all you need on rudder. 5/8" on elevator is plenty. This is not a 3D model, this is a sport flyer, so let it do what it does best.

Second thing, I agree with wisdom-seeker, skip the dual rates. Too much confusion. Take a year or two and learn to bring out the best in your Venture 60 on these throws. Save the dual rates for when you get into aerobatic competition (and even then you'll try to avoid them as much as possible).

Third, I agree again, use plenty of expo for smooth flying. I normally figure -60% expo all surfaces on any new model, then adjust from there.

Fourth, without knowing exactly what you're using for control horns, I would recommend a general rule of setting your recommended throws with linkage connected as far out as possible on the control horns and as close in to the servo hub as possible. This will give you maximum leverage with the servo. If you connect this way, you can always move your connections a notch or two closer in on control horns for more aggressive throws.

Fifth, as to ATV: many standard servos, even coreless, do not have accurate centers. If you put them in a protractor device, give them a center signal, then rotate them to their two extremes, they will not deflect equally. Some are close, some are way off. This is not especially true of any brand, but varies considerably within each brand. So far all the digital servos I've checked are pretty good. So I agree with IronCross: it helps to reserve some ATV for correcting these inaccuracies. Thus for non-digitals, I would set everything up at 100%, then use ATV to even out the throws, with preference being to extend the short throw rather than reduce the long throw. If you know your servos check out for good center settings, then I would do like rjmdubois, and use maximum ATV for best servo resolution. You will probably not notice loss of servo speed, though there will be some.

Sixth, there is a function called TRIM RATE, which can be set as low as 1 and I don't know what the high is on the 9C, but it's a lot higher than you should need. When I maiden a new model, I set the trim rate to 10 on all surfaces. That way, when I'm in the air and want to adjust trim, it usually takes only a couple beeps to solve a rolling/pitching problem. Rudder is seldom a problem. But when an unfamiliar model is rolling and pitching with sticks at neutral, it can be a challenge to get everything under control. (Correct roll first, pitch second.) When the first flight trim settings are made, bring the plane down, adjust your linkages if necessary, then make another flight and see if you can get your trim buttons back to neutral and have the plane fly straight & level all by itself. I usually do this around 2/3 throttle. When second flight is good, bring it down again, and reset the trim rates to 1, and repeat the process. Now when you hit the trim button you'll get minimum correction with each beep, which will allow you to get "perfect" trim. Light or no wind will help, of course.

If you fly your Venture 60 at recommended throws, seal your hinge lines, set -60% expo, trim for safe altitude straight & level hands-off at trim rate = 1, cruise at 2/3 throttle, keep your needle valve a few clicks rich... you will like what happens. Fly that awhile, then you can develop the "taste" to modify anything you want.