Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Electron6 receiver fails after six flights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Flyby-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Electron6 receiver fails after six flights.

A while back I bought a Hitec Electron6 for my new heli. The receiver was wrapped in two layers of foam and the heli produced very little vibration. On the sixth flight the receiver goes completely bananas with throttle and fore/aft cyclic pitch totally out of control. The result was a nice, expensive crash[].
I replaced the crystal thinking it was the culprit and on the first startup after rebuilding the heli, the exact same things happened. This time around I had the heli strapped down for testing.
Trying different crystals and receiveres shows that the receiver is insane. The thing is that it works just fine with the engine off, but goes nuts with the engine running.

Is this just my bad luck with this receiver or is it a known problem.

I now fly with a Sanwa six channel receiver,same setup and antenna routed the same way. This works flawlessly

Flybu
Old 04-26-2004, 12:13 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Electron6 receiver fails after six flights.

What frequency and or band are you flying on? Hitec crystals?

We've been using the Electron six for some time without issue and they have worked flawlessly... There is always the posssibility that you got a defective unit. I would suggest you submit the RX to the Hitec Service Department.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:13 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the Rx works with the engine off, it sounds like you have a bearing going out and it is causing static to interfere with the signal. The Sanwa maybe able to over come the srtatic. I lost my Nexus one time due to a bearing going out in the clutch bell.

Dru.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Flyby-RCU

I`m on the 35 band-35,190 mHz-ch 79.
I read somewhere that there had been filter problems with certain Hitec receivers, but I can`t remember if the Electron6 was among them.

Could be I just got a lemon, but I can`t help thinking that if I had put in a few $ more into a Futaba, JR or Sanwa I might not have had this expensive and totally BS crash.

Flyby
Old 04-26-2004, 02:12 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Electron Six has not had any issues to date that I am aware of. My son is factory sponsored by Hitec and we provide R&D and are exposed to data and issues for field verification.

The only RX's I am aware of that have issue with filters are Futabas. They are typically replaced when serviced as a safety concern verses an actual need basis, its simply cheap insurance.

There have been some issues with RX’s is retuned to accommodate other bands by local service centers. I'll see if can find the info.

In any event you may have got a BAD one, unfortunately it happens. Another plausible cause is helicopters are well known for generating EMI, lots of moving parts interacting... Same type of RX used to replace the Electron, i.e., PPM vs. PCM?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Flyby-RCU

Hmmm, a bearing going out[X(]. I have 49 of them.
I will test with another Hitec receiver just to be on the safe side.
However, with the Sanwa there is not as much as a mini glitch so I still think the Electron did a number on me.
I just wrote the shop I purchased it from-shall be interesting to see what kind of response get.

Flyby
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 PM
dcairns

I guess sending the receiver back to HiTec might be a bit costly, but they will fix it for you. I had receiver go bad from being crashed, and they fixed it free. They are good folks that stand behind their products.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flyby, yes you have 49 bearings in the helicopter plus 2 in the engine

When you say that it only happens when the engine is running, are the blades spinning?? If not you have just eleminated a bunch of those 49 bearings. The bearing in the clutch bell takes a beating. A bearing may be slipping in the frame or on a shaft that runs through the bearing. Do a quick search on your helicopter and see if there are known bearing problems.

I have 5 Electron 6's and they have worked well for me. I have had a problem with interferance with the one helicopter due to a bad bearing.

Dru.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Flyby-RCU

Blvdbuzzard,

The glitching is there with engine at idle speed and seem to increase as rpm picks up. The worst glitching seems to appear when the head is at full speed though.
I have also tried another Hitech receiver and like the Sanwa it is rock steady.
I will keep in mind the bearing idèa though.

Flyby
Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 AM
XJet
Banned

Have you tried tapping the receiver (with everything turned on but without the engine running) to see if there's perhaps a crack in the PCB or a dry solder joint?

If you get a twitch or two when tapping the receiver case then you could have found the problem in far less time than it takes to change all those bearings :-)