Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

What should I do? (Buy a radio system or flight pack?)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What should I do? (Buy a radio system or flight pack?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do? (Buy a radio system or flight pack?)

I have a Tower Hobbies 6 channel radio that my brother and I use for our Kadet LT-40. I have a skytiger that needs servos, receiver and engine. Should I just buy a flight pack for my skytiger, and share that radio - meaning that we can't both fly at the same time and the battery will most likely be drained because of all the use between us? Or should I just buy an entire new radio w/ servos + receiver (Hitec Flash 5) - so we can each fly at the same time? If so what radio do you recommend? I was thinking of a Flash 5 - don't know if there is anything as good as that out there with all of those features at price.

Thanks for your help! WE appreciate it!

-Brian
Old 06-27-2002, 08:54 PM
airjeffro

I'd say, do the most you can with the money you have. I'm not real familiar with the flash 5, so I can't say anything about it. If you are serious about RC then get the best Transmitter, with the most memory you can, with the money you have.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:40 PM
kgetch

Default JR 652

Chief Aircraft still has the JR 652 entry level computer radio for $185. It is being discontinued but a great deal. I'd go for this!!!
Old 06-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Someone11-RCU

I should probably stick with either Futaba or hitec since that what most of the guys at the airfield use.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:48 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Buy another radio....Unless you have a computer radio trying to fly 2 planes is really troublesome. The trims will be different for eack plane and possibility some servos may be reversed...you would have to reset all the switches and trims each time you switched planes. Besides there really isn't a price savings on standard radios when buying a flite pack as opposed to buying the whole radio.
And do not forget as you both get better how are you going to race or mess with each other unless you have 2 radios.
Brian
Old 06-28-2002, 02:22 AM
rctrax

The flash 5x is a very good radio for the money. It has five model menory. and about all the bells and whisles you will probably need. I have one and it works fine. It don't work to try to switch radios between planes I know I tried it. It was just to much trouble getting all the servos and trims working at the same time for both planes. And take it from me you will crash one of them sooner or later because of this.
Old 06-28-2002, 04:49 AM
ec121k

Default Most

Get the most for what dollars you have. I'd recommend at least 6 channels since it will be only a matter of time when you want to use separate servos for ailerons and start using differential and maybe even flaperons. That number 6 really opens the door to flexibility.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will probably save money in the long run by buying a complete setup (the same brand and type you are presently using) as you can then use one as a trainer box; and, if you should happen to crash one or the other, you have compatable spare parts for the other.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:02 AM
Someone11-RCU

Luckily Futaba (6FM tower hobbies radio i have) is compatible with hitec. Thanks for all the input... you guys made sense of things for me!

-Brian