Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fed Up With Hitec Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 02:44 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fed Up With Hitec Quality

I am completely and thoroughly feed up with the quality of Hitec servos. I will never, ever use them again. I can't believe I ever thought you could get away with buying these low price, low quality servos. Why am I upset you ask. Well I'm the guy that had 5 of 8 605BB's go bad about two months ago. I switch critical serfaces over to 4 5645 digitals. Now I have one of the digitals that hangs up and takes about 2-3 seconds to respond on about every three or four movements.
Futaba may have some servos go bad once in a while. But it never happened to me with a couple of dozen of them. I can only attribute Hitec's lower price, to lower quality components - I have purchased my last servo from them. It's just not worth it.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:04 AM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried to get new ones from Hitec? I'm sure they would swap you the bad ones free of charge?
Old 06-29-2002, 03:40 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

That wouldn't be the point would it?

Nobody needs that kind of hassle.

A currently satisfied customer of Hitec

Dennis
Old 06-29-2002, 04:50 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

I've had a couple of Hitec 525BB servo behave irraticly right out of the box. Hitec replaced them free-of-charge and no questions asked. The new ones work great, by the way.

In generall, I've been very pleased w/ Hitecs customer support - here's my story:

Last fall I suffered 2 horrendous midairs, one in a 1/4 scale Pitts and the other in a 120 size Extra 300. Both planes were totally destroyed as were the flight packs. Broken servo cases, stripped servo gear trains, broken reciever cases, pulled out servo leads, broken switches, well you get the picture...

I boxed this pile of junk and sent it back to Hitec w/ a nice note explaining my misfortune and asked them what they could do for me. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much, but hey it was all trashed anyway, so why not give it a try?

Well. much to my surprise about 20 days lated I got a package in the mail with all the damaged items either repared or replaced. And the charge, you ask? ZERO DOLLARS - totally free of charge.

Mind you, the crashes were due to midairs and not the equipment's failure, so I was very impressed and gratefull for what Hitec did for me.

Their products might not be equal to the very best by Futaba or JR, but after my experience w/ them, Hitec got a customer for life!
Old 06-29-2002, 05:39 AM
Maxime

I too have heard or seen horror stories with Hitec servos.

However, I really like their recevers. I've had three of them, and they have performed better than my Futaba Rx $$$.

Each times I've had problems, their customer support team have been very helpful, as good or better than some other companies.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:08 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

from what i'm hearing the hobbico servo's that i use are the same as hitec & ive heard both of them have futaba parts inside???
as far as the hobbico servos go, "no problems so far"
Old 06-29-2002, 07:37 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default HiTech

Although I am not a user of HiTech equipment, there are the imac guys that swear by them. Not sure if this link will work without first signing in to Yahoo but try this ->
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mini-iac/messages

If it doesn't go, try just the group by sighning in.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Giant Scale

In all fairness Splais servos from any manufacturer can have failures. I recently purchased a hitec 5945 from Omni models, took it out of the box and it didn't work. I sent it back for a replacement, they replaced it no questions and now and it works fine. I noticed that the replacement was from a different lot. The other hitec digitals I have work fine. I'm sure that most of the manufacturers buy the components from the same sources. There are probably contract manufacturers out there that make servos and put different brand labels on them (ie futaba or hobbico or tower hobbies brand). I would just send the servo's in question back to hitec and get replacements. Suppose you had bought JR's and had the same problem? Would all JR servo's be junk?
Old 06-29-2002, 09:56 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default Hitec Servos

Hey Splais

Are you using the Hitec's with a JR receiver?
Old 06-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

While I don't do ANY extreem flying unless is just before a crash, I have never had any issues with HiTec. What are your end points set to? If you have them above 120% it may cause a problem and I have seen that on mine!
Old 06-29-2002, 12:54 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Default Hitec's

Funny, I have a whole bunch of Hitec servos in use, mostly HS-81 and HS-85, normal and MG, and never had not even the hint of a problem !
Same goes for the Hitec receivers I use.
Also, my buddies at the field who use Hitec's haven't had any problems so far.

Michael
Old 06-29-2002, 12:55 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hitec servos ?

Use them , LOVE them .
Also.................... Good point stomper!
Old 06-29-2002, 02:06 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Default P.S. : Hitec's & different brand RX's

I use my hitec servos with Hitec and Multiplex receivers as well !

I also have used them in the past with a JR R600 receiver, also without problems !

Michael
Old 06-29-2002, 02:14 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default one mans junk is another mans treasuer

how much for the junk??????????
Old 06-29-2002, 04:19 PM
splais

Geting them replaced quickly by Hitec is NOT the point. they have been very good about replacing with new servos. What good is that if you have a $1000 or $2000 plane go in because of servo failure. All my flying is with Futaba 9c radio and receivers- and up until now, hitec servos.
Old 06-29-2002, 05:30 PM
mglavin

Steve

Not sure why your having all these problems with HiTec servos. If you were to take a sample of units sold verses failures I think you'd be surprised... As mentioned by others even the most expensive servos have failure rates... It would seem that you have had your share of bad luck. Is there the possibility that your model, linkage setup, ATV or End points have contributed to any of the problems you've had???

HiTec digital servo's must operate within a given TX pulse width, between 900-2100us or micro-seconds... Outside of these parameters you may have problems. The newest breed of HiTec digitals have been reprogrammed to recognize a signal between 800-2200us. One can also reprogram the servo himself with HiTecs servo programmer. This is an invaluable tool for various reasons.

I use HiTec digitals on most of my GS aerobatic models, replacement cost of these models are anywhere from $4000.00 to $10,000.00. I have used the best servos JR offers with varied results. I have been using the HiTec digital's for nearly two years with zero problems!!! I have destroyed some of the HiTec servos [crash damage] and was pleasantly surprised when they were repaired free of charge...

Problem you'll find there is little middle ground for digital or hi-torque fast servo's. Futaba's are expensive, JR's are expensive, Airtronic's are expensive. The expense guarantees you nothing in my use and application. One the irritating things I find with the one of the major player hi-end servos is the need and expense to service them, regularly...
Old 06-30-2002, 01:59 AM
splais

"must operate within a given TX pulse width"

Please forgive my comment, but that is rediculous. They do not advertise the fact about having to maintain "special conditions" to utilize their servos. How many of us even have the tools to check whatever it is you are talking about. There is nothing weird or screwy about my setup, travels or servo arm lengths. Maybe I am just having a run of bad luck. I don't think so. I have these servos on two identical H9 Cap 1/4 scales. I fly one, my friend flies the other. We are not into wild 3D flying. And this latest thing with the digital servo hanging up every so often has no logical answer.
I'm just fed up with sending servos back to Hitec. And I have never had a futaba go bad - and yes, they are way over priced. then again maybe not.
So what am I supposed to do when everything is done according to the book and you still get failures. I'm at a loss here for anything other than QA. The common denominator in all this is that all the failures/malfunctions have been on the ailerons (of both planes). Gaps sealed, throws at recommended and plenty of hinges with no binding.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:05 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Splais,

I think you're gonna find a bunch of people who love Hitec and a bunch who don't. If I were you, I'd switch brands just for the sake of it.

Imagine if you tried Hitec's again and had your plane go down. Even if it wasn't a servo problem you'd never really trust them.

Switch and be happy!

Mike
Old 06-30-2002, 07:01 AM
FCC

Default bad servos

I also had a bad luck with hitec servos and swear never to use them again. Actually that happaned twice and I have lost lots of money becuase of these cheap servos.

If you don't believe go to Hitec Talk at hitec's forum (http://www.hitecrcd.com) and find lots of posts about the cheap hitec servo problems.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:00 PM
mglavin

Steve

I'd say your mind is made up, go for something that makes you fell comfortable. I am not trying to convince you to use HiTec servos, not by along shot. It's just that the number of successful user's is far greater than those with some problems.

As with all products "special conditions" possibly exist. Reference to the included information and directions supplied with the product will help alleviate problems.

HiTec does offer the information on pulse width requirements... It's at the top of the information sheet provided with the digital servos... This is only an issue with digitals. And it really should not be an issue if your TX is properly tuned, programmed, setup and not transmitting outside 800-2200us parameters. [HiTec realized there was potential problems with there initial offerings and programming. They increased the recognized pulse width parameters as mentioned] And yes the average guy can own equipment to measure this. The most desirable unit would be the HiTec Servo Programmer. This unit program's HiTec digitals and also test all other brands of servos as well allows you to measure and view the actual pulse data your TX is transmitting... $150.00 average cost. One time expense, use it over and over again.

All manufacturer's have quality control issues.... It's just that simple.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:57 PM
Ladyflyer

EVERY servo maker has made servos that have crashed planes.
Hitec is FAR from the worst of the bunch !
OF course you can spend more ..... and still get less
From what I hear they send all the rejects to some far off land that ends in ***istan or something like that. So play it safe and don't buy from hobby shops in ***istan or whatever !

....................just KIDDING
Old 07-01-2002, 03:09 AM
FCC

Soon I will conduct some complete mechanical and electronics test on diffrerent hitec servos and will post the output data over this forum and publish in some magazine/web site to show what the actual parameters and quality hitec is offereing...

Now I am really concerned about this...
Old 07-01-2002, 04:33 AM
mglavin

Originally posted by FCC
Soon I will conduct some complete mechanical and electronics test on different hitec servos and will post the output data over this forum and publish in some magazine/web site to show what the actual parameters and quality hitec is offereing...

Now I am really concerned about this...
What are you concerned about??? Are you currently using HiTec servos? Have you had these problems with HiTec servos? You mentioned some problems, what were the circumstances?

How will you perform these test's? What criteria? What standards? What are your credentials? What is your field of expertise? Why did you make reference to magazines and web sites?

I have tested these servos with my own JR-10X, Futaba 9ZAP WCII synth, Futaba 8UAP-S, JR 8103.... Tried as I could with various ATV, EPA settings and such never had a problem...

I also have been using these servos in numerous GS aircraft, Pylon racers and sport models.... Lot's of actual hands on use and experience. I use them and recommend them. There a great value... It's not a perfect RC world, all the rest have their share of problems as well.

Not sure were your coming from "FCC", I've followed other threads in addition to this thread and you continuously bash HiTec, but offer nothing in support other than references to others misfortune. Your opinion is valued as is all other's, may I suggest that you offer some substance, not here-say. It goes a long way in validating your assertions.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:33 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by mglavin

What are you concerned about??? Are you currently using HiTec servos? Have you had these problems with HiTec servos? You mentioned some problems, what were the circumstances?

How will you perform these test's? What criteria? What standards? What are your credentials? What is your field of expertise? Why did you make reference to magazines and web sites?

I have tested these servos with my own JR-10X, Futaba 9ZAP WCII synth, Futaba 8UAP-S, JR 8103.... Tried as I could with various ATV, EPA settings and such never had a problem...

I also have been using these servos in numerous GS aircraft, Pylon racers and sport models.... Lot's of actual hands on use and experience. I use them and recommend them. There a great value... It's not a perfect RC world, all the rest have their share of problems as well.

Not sure were your coming from "FCC", I've followed other threads in addition to this thread and you continuously bash HiTec, but offer nothing in support other than references to others misfortune. Your opinion is valued as is all other's, may I suggest that you offer some substance, not here-say. It goes a long way in validating your assertions.
Chill dude, he just said he was going to make some simple tests, who cares what his credentials are, he doesnt like Hitec (I dont either) no need to beat on him for it.

But just for arguments sake, do a search for servo failures, and see which manufacturer on this BB stands out That is a simple test.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Ladyflyer

A "REAL ,unbiased honest to goodness test ,by a REAL engineer . ABOUT TIME ! Consumer's Reports has put this issue off for too long. We may well find out we had no business getting excellent service from these servos for all these years!

Chad , are you still a "Sponsored Futaba Pilot" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.