Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Are all FM digital proportional radios narrow band?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are all FM digital proportional radios narrow band?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 04:23 PM
ChopperCharles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all FM digital proportional radios narrow band?

I'm looking at buying a used ACOMS AP-472 FM 4-channel radio. I do not know how old it is, but it looks newISH at least. The box says it's 72.790 MHz, and that it will work for planes, boats, or cars. It comes with everything - servos, charger, batteries, reciever, and the like.

Is there a master list somewhere that tells what radios are narrow band and which aren't? Also, anyone have a URL for ACOMS? I haven't been able to find it anywhere online...
Thanks.

Charles.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:56 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Charles, sorry, but I can't tell you anything about that brand of radio. As for buying an older radio I wouldn't.
You didn't quote the price but it would have to be really cheap. Even if it's narrow band it will need two
new battery's. That's about $50. Add that to the price of the radio and your not far from buying a new
four channel Futaba. Maybe even more. Plus, like everything else electronic, the new stuff is lighter
more reliable and is easy to get replacement parts for. Sometimes you will find an older radio
worth the money, but is it worth risking a several hundred dollar airplane to save a few bucks?
If it's not a narrow band make a boat anchor out of it. later daveo
Old 06-05-2003, 05:31 PM
00hex

I wouldn't trust the information you have about it. 72 MHz is only legal to use with planes, and 75 MHz is for cars only. To work with both it would have to be on 27 MHz.

BTW 72.790 MHz is channel 50 (the airplane ones are 11-60)
Old 06-06-2003, 01:51 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

All radios manufactured after 1991 are probably narrow band. When the channel given is on 72mhz is is strictly airborne. Surface frequencies are always in the 75mhz band. Some 27mhz is usable for both surface and air. the looks "newish" doesn't mean a thing. If it has been in somebody's attic since 1975 you don't want it regardless of the price. Just because it says FM doesn't mean much. davoe said it all when he said newer electronics are much more reliable and lighter. I fly with 1991 stickered equipment both AM and FM. I also have AM stuff for RC sailboats. I tried to save money on a radio once. Expensive lesson.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Well... the seller probably is unaware of the law about the aircraft vs car/boat frequencies. Don't worry much on that part of the discussion... if it is the frequency the seller says... its an aircraft radio.

All FUTABA FM radios meet narrow band... There are /were others that did not.

By FCC regs... if it has not been narrow band converted yet, its not supposed to be worked on by a kicenced tech... or he can lose his licence to certify repaired/modified radio transmitters. (not narrow band .... junk)

For more info about this... its EASY to get, just send an E-mail to [email protected] and mention "narrow band" in the subject. (its an auto-reply)