Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Fp-t5lk Am? Fm? Wide_narrow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 08:19 PM
wrbirch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba Fp-t5lk Am? Fm? Wide_narrow?

I aquired this Futaba FP-T5LK transmeitter and don't know if it's am fm wide band or narrow, marked 72.960 "6" no gold sticker.
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Bill
Old 07-04-2002, 09:14 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Birch, Sorry I don't know offhand if the 5LK is AM or FM. If FM it is legal for use in the US as all Futaba's FM's ever made are narrow band.

Assuming you are in the US there may be an FCC sticker on the radio that reads something like FP-T5LK-72-AM-xxxx. Can you find a number like that?
Old 07-04-2002, 09:23 PM
tomgtv6

If 72.960 is the frequency then it should be wide as that is the old yellow and white frequency.

tom
Old 07-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An old 5 channel AM from just before the FM era.
Anne is correct,with Futaba IF it is FM it is safe. AM gets a cecond look. Of course the ol yeller and white already mentioned is a real giveaway.

That series was a real popular radio. It really established Futaba as THE player in North America. Simple and reliable. Don't let the AM fool you either, it was very solid.
The following users liked this post:
Carl R. (03-22-2023)
Old 07-05-2002, 08:30 PM
wrbirch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank all of you for the posts on my transmitter, I appreciate all the help
Bill
Old 12-31-2002, 05:09 PM
bsbailey

Originally posted by Ladyflyer
An old 5 channel AM from just before the FM era.
Anne is correct,with Futaba IF it is FM it is safe. AM gets a cecond look. Of course the ol yeller and white already mentioned is a real giveaway.

That series was a real popular radio. It really established Futaba as THE player in North America. Simple and reliable. Don't let the AM fool you either, it was very solid.
So...others have an FP-T5LK (mine is 40.665MHz). I got it in Japan as a Air Force member some 18 years ago. Now that I have more time to fly can I replace the pull out freq module and receiver crystal to update to US freq's or should I just but a new 4 or 6 channel (I'm still a novice flyer)?

Ben
Old 01-01-2003, 05:07 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Ben...I'll go ahead and take a stab at your question, and offer my views .

Although the 5lk system might be made legal here in the US by means of replacing the module, I would strongly suggest, if your thinking of going to that degree, the cost of just getting a new system would only be a fraction more.
If your existing system can be upgraded with module, I know the modules can run at least $50(if it's compatible with todays sets, strong chance it is, but nevertheless)... And your batteries/switches would definately need to be replaced, not to mention new isolators/hardware for your servos. Servos are another issue also. Servos from that era, although strong, were not up to todays standards. Todays standard servos are probably as powerful as some of the high-end units of 15-20yrs ago. So that's something to consider.

If you add it up, you might have $50 in the module, another $40-$50 for all new batteries(unless you build your own packs, even then its probably over $30), and who knows how much to get necessary hardware. This is based on rounded figures, and estimate here, but you see where I'm going I think.

For a very nice non-computer radio it will run about $150-$180. Thats totally equipped with at least 6channels including servos. All hardware necessary to install it, and new batteries and charger...everything. Reason I say non-computer is more for comparison. All come with a very nice warranty, factory support, and piece of mind that a novice needs. To be free from radio worry, and concentrate on flying.
You can even get low-end FM units for about $130 or so, that still come with everything I've said, only with 4channels, which really is fine for learning, and grasping concepts of the RC experience.

I guess my thoughts are you can spend $50-$100(estimate) in getting an old unit to hopefully give you good service, or you can get into a new unit that would give excellent service for a bit more money. These are things I would consider(and have in the past), I do hope this helps.