Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

feedback on MULTIPLEX ROYAL EVO transmitter!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 10:30 AM
chesie2
My Feedback: (55)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback on MULTIPLEX ROYAL EVO transmitter!

QUESTION??
Does any one have any feedback on this Radio MULTIPLEX ROYAL EVO Transmitter!!!
Chesie2
Old 06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: feedback on MULTIPLEX ROYAL EVO transmitter!

I just picked mine up at the LHS Saturday so about all of the "real" things I have done is charge the battery pack, set the throttle racthet and tension control and play around with changing the angles of the aileron/elevator gimbal. The Evo programming logic is totally different from Asian Radios but I had already downloaded a copy of the manual before I ordered the radio so I have found no surprises anywhere. I am replacing a Futaba 9C and am definately not losing any functionality there and the 9C is a very fine radio.

I do like the ability to be able update software via my computer rather than having to send the Tx to the distributor for an update.

You might want to do a search as there is already a lot of discussion on this radio in the forums.

Dan
Old 06-09-2004, 03:59 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

See the many threads about the Evo on the radios forum at rcgroups.com for user feedback.

H
Old 06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Just got one (Evo 9 with sync) last week. It only work with positive shift receiver (no shift select) and servos jitters with Hitec and Berg receivers.

I might have to send it back. Very annoying.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:37 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've been using the Evo 12 channel system with many models thus far. I really like the abilty of the TX to assign RX ports/servo channels to user defined controls. I recently setup my sons 39% AW Extra with this TX and fourteen Hitec digitals and a smoke system slaved to the throttle channel driving an ESC it works great.

I was able to drive the six aileron and four elevator servos without a MIX. I should mention I used a Powerbox servo interface, but this device did not contribute to the lack or need to utilize mixes per say. With a conventional Asian TX you would have to drive the second aileron and or elevator channel with a mix slaved to the primary control. With the EVO you simply assign the second need to the original control output. No delays are realized of the software or frame rate updating as is atypical of all Asian equipment.

The Extra uses a single 12 channel MPX IPD RX, together with the aforementioned dual power servo interface which is integrated with onboard voltage regulators which reduce the Lithium power source to 6.0V. Each control signal/channel port of the RX is passed to the servo interface which in turns allows me to plug in up to four servos per channel. The Hitecs are match programmed for center and end point travel so its simply plug and play. No servo matching ancillary devices are needed.

The model has performed flawlessly thus far, we've been flying her all week at the XFC here in Troy, Ohio.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:42 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

local

I use Hitec servos with several models with Hitec, MPX and Berg RX's and don't have any problems. Make sure you assign the servo pulse needs to UNI verses MPX, this will affect centering? There has been some complaints with the synth modules, there appears to be some compatibility problems, I understand its being looked at.

A revised shift select software version is being Beta tested NOW and will be available in the near future. As you may know you will be able to update your TX's software via your personal computer and data link cable.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

localbuyer,

You should check out the posts on rcgroups.com, on the EVO. I just got the RE12, and changed the software using a free download available. You can get to the specific place by doing a search here on RCU and look for a post by Topquark. It has a link that will direct you to the download. Next you will need a cable to hook your EVO to your computer. There seems to be a few sources for those, One being ebay where a guy is selling them for $40. Finally you will need to download the Evo manager (free) from the multiplex site. This will install the n.26 update through the cable, and viola.... you will have your shift adjustment available.

Method 2 is to wait for multiplex to release the new software, which is any day now......???????, in which case you will still need the cable and the EVO manager software to install.

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/ click on the british flag for english, under downloads find Royal Evo Data manager 1.26 (free download)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=64 See post number 958 on this page

Enter Royal Evo cable on RC groups site, and you will see several threads of individuals selling them.

Mine was just an expensive paperweight until the update was in place, now I can control all of my Futaba and Hitec RX's

Pretty cool.

Dan
Old 06-26-2004, 04:50 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was seriously thinking about this radio until i found out about its "dirty little secret"! what good is there in channel assignments and tons of mixes if they can't be set up differently for each flight mode or model memory??? this "global" crap is a major turn-off in my opinion.

very happy now that i went went with the microstar that CAN do all this. for example i can have each dual rate assigned to its own switch in one flight mode and then tie them all to a single switch in a different mode. i can even add a mixer to the same switch if i feel the need to. no problem at all to configure all 15 mixers and 11 point curves differently for each flight mode.

flexibility?? the current firmware doesn't have any specific mixers for CCPM helis but it can still be done with a bit of ingenuity. and you don't have to use the manual to do it either.

dave
Old 06-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds pretty cool... what's a Microstar? I did a google search and found a site where a guy was discussing a microstar 2000, and that he had struck a deal with FMA to produce it. The letter was dated Nov 2001. FMA's site yields nothing with a search. Is this a radio that you have to build and program?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:16 PM
ZAGNUT

yeah, that's the one drawback with the microstar. [link=http://www.jensenjetmodels.com/id30.htm]JJM[/link] does sell complete txs but without RF deck. really only legal for hams but works perfectly with the ace or FMA 72mhz rf deck. most people just use the encoder to update old radios but some also build custom cases (see pic)

the designer will program the PIC for free but also provides schematics and a program for those who want to do it thmselves. this is the way i did it so i don't have to send him the PIC whenever a new version comes out.

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11571.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	147616  
Old 06-26-2004, 04:50 PM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT
i was seriously thinking about this radio until i found out about its "dirty little secret"! what good is there in channel assignments and tons of mixes if they can't be set up differently for each flight mode or model memory???

the current firmware doesn't have any specific mixers for CCPM
The channel assignments and mixes can be set up differently for every model. You would never want channel assignments to change with flight mode. Mixers can be varied by switching on and off, or to a different mixer, with flight mode by assigning both mixers and flight modes to the same switch.

I don't know anything about helis but what is the Evo's template HELIccpm with support for 3 or 4 servo heads if it isn't a mixer specifically for ccpm?

There are one or two shortcomings which we believe Multiplex is addressing for a future free upgrade following on from customer comments, but you didn't mention those shortcomings so I don't think you understand the Evo.

Harry
Old 06-26-2004, 07:56 PM
ChuckA

i was seriously thinking about this radio until i found out about its "dirty little secret"! what good is there in channel assignments and tons of mixes if they can't be set up differently for each flight mode or model memory??? this "global" crap is a major turn-off in my opinion.
I have been flying an Evo 9 since last August. I have sold all my Futaba, Hitec, and JR transmitters and will never go back until they get rid of their crazy programming and clean up the cluttered transmitter cases. The Evo is the cleanest and best transmitter since the Infinity. Sorry that Airtronics discontinued that one. I use mostly Hitec receivers for JR/Airtronics. When the new software is here, I will be able to use all my old servos unless I decide to sell them to use one of the new technology receivers.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:50 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: HarryC

the current firmware doesn't have any specific mixers for CCPM

I don't know anything about helis but what is the Evo's template HELIccpm with support for 3 or 4 servo heads if it isn't a mixer specifically for ccpm?

i was saying that the microstar doesn't have a set-up for CCPM but that it can still be done...i know the evo does it

and every thing i read about the evo lead me to believe that if i assign the aileron stick to channels 1 and 2 i'm stuck with that for every memory or flight mode. maybe i misunderstood or maybe this was already addressed in one of their upgrades??

and having different channel assignments for different flight modes can be very useful....and save a lot of unneeded mixing

dave
Old 06-27-2004, 08:13 AM
HarryC

every thing i read about the evo lead me to believe that if i assign the aileron stick to channels 1 and 2 i'm stuck with that for every memory
No, you assign channels individually in every model. Aileron can be channels 1 and 2 in model A, channel 5 in model B, channels 2,4,7,8 in model C and so on.

having different channel assignments for different flight modes can be very useful....and save a lot of unneeded mixing
There is no way you want the channel assignments to change between flight modes! Why would you want an aileron servo to become a throttle when you change flight mode?!!

Harry
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
ZAGNUT

There is no way you want the channel assignments to change between flight modes! Why would you want an aileron servo to become a throttle when you change flight mode?!!

why not?? i know for sure that my hovering and torque rolling would improve if i have the rudder on the same stick as the elevator. as soon as my microstar is operational that'll be the first thing i try. and i can think of all kinds of non-standard aircraft (VTOL for example) where control surfaces serve totally different functions in different flight modes.

dave
Old 06-29-2004, 03:14 PM
HarryC

No you don't and it shows you still don't understand Multiplex or channel assigning.

What you are describing is mixing, not channel assigning.

H
Old 06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
ZAGNUT

What you are describing is mixing, not channel assigning.

maybe i don't have a clue about the evo but i really would like to understand it.

what i'm saying is that in one flight mode the stick controls elevator/aileron and the knob (single stick) controls rudder. switch to the other mode and the stick now controls elevator/rudder and the knob does ailerons. why should i use any mixing to do this if i don't have to? how would this be accomplished with the evo?

dave
Old 06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
HarryC

What you want would be achieved by mixing, not by a flight mode, however you would assign the same switch to both mixing and modes so that they happen together.

Multiplex mixing is totally different to the master-slave method used by all Asian radios and it has more flexibility and can do more things than simply master-slave mixing. In Multiplex you assign the servo to a mixing box instead of directly to a control. In the Evo, each mixing box has 5 inputs from controls. For what you want, the rudder servo mixer would have rudder and aileron as inputs, each of them set to be ON in opposite directions of the switch so that one is on and the other is off. Same for aileron servo. Then when you move the switch the rudder servo responds only to aileron stick and the aileron servo responds only to rudder stick.

H
Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
ZAGNUT

For what you want, the rudder servo mixer would have rudder and aileron as inputs, each of them set to be ON in opposite directions of the switch so that one is on and the other is off. Same for aileron servo. Then when you move the switch the rudder servo responds only to aileron stick and the aileron servo responds only to rudder stick.

H
that's just about how it would be done on the old but still very capable MP8k, the microstar just makes it a bit easier IMO.

i agree with you about the limitations of the asian radios with their "canned mixes"and limited flexibility. but then why do you always say that the evo isn't quite up to par with the 9Z and 10X?? just what can they do that the evo can't??

dave
Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 PM
HarryC

At the extremes of programming, the Evo expo is symmetrical, you can't have it on up elevator and not on down elevator; you can't use rudder stick position to switch mode/rates etc for spins. It's little things like that, probably few people use them.

H