Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Worm Gear Drive Servo

Old 06-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worm Gear Drive Servo

Would someone please tell me why a worm gear drive servo cannot be built ? I would like to use it for the flying stab of a large turbine jet.

Thanks,
Jackjet
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Worm Gear Drive Servo

There is no reason other than the builders don't want to invest the money. There is a jackscrew servo advertised in MAN-same idea.
There is also some servos made in Colo. for RPV's on a similar principle. Also advertised in MAN. They cost about $800.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:49 AM
phildc

Default RE: Worm Gear Drive Servo

To increase the torque, but with reduced speed, I think that you could try to modify a standard servo in this way:

Drive a threaded rod with the servo axe, remove any stops inside the servo.
Connect your control surface to a bolt driven by the threaded rod. The bolt should be designed to limit backlash.
Do not use the internal servo, but an external one connected to the surface position. I advise to reduce the length of, and carefully shield the wiring.

Alternative: use a DC motor with reductor, and design the electronics.

Philippe