Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HiTec Flash 5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HiTec Flash 5?

What do you guys think about the Hitec Flash 5 channel computor radio? Thinking of getting one and using it on a dual alerion plane, such as a SE. Does it allow you to use flaps? Hows does the Hitec compare with Futaba. Everybody at our field seems to use Futaba, and only a couple guys use the Hitec. Also the hitec guys like them. Just thought I ask for you guys option on the Flash 5. Thanks, JT
Old 07-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Sewerdude

Default HiTec Flash 5?

Does anybody have one?
Old 07-17-2002, 12:54 PM
tree hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HiTec Flash 5?

The manual for the flash 5 can be found online.upon reviewing it I find you can only have flaperons in glider mode which means only 3 throtle positions.If you are looking for a simple lower cost computer try the JR XF631EX.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Alastair

Default HiTec Flash 5?

The Flash 5 will work fine for flaperons on the SIG SE, but I it still does not offer many functions of the a 7,8, or 9 channel radio. I think the Hitec radios are just as good as the Futaba ones, but the servos they come with are not. If you just want a radio to have flaperons and no other mixing get the Flash 5, but the Eclipse 7 is probably a better buy as it give you all the features you'll probably ever need. Plus you can get it with a Spectra module to change frequencies.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:20 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Default HiTec Flash 5?

I fly a Hitec Eclipse 7. Lotsa bang-for-your-buck. I'm quite pleased.

I also fly Hitec servos and Futaba servos... Given a choice? I'd buy more Hitec.

Just my opinion.
Good luck.
- Dave
Old 07-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Alastair

Default HiTec Flash 5?

BTW tree hunter you can get flaperons in acroglid mode which has a normal throttle. The flash 5 has three modes acro, acroglid, and glid. So the flaperons will work fine and the throttle will work normally on a SE.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Sewerdude

Default HiTec Flash 5?

Ok, glad to hear that Alastair. what about other mixing?.Like alerion diff, alerion /rudder mix?.Can I still use the other mixes?Or I'm I confined to limited mixing with this radio? I've never had a computor radio as you probably can tell. Thanks, JT
Old 07-20-2002, 02:41 AM
Alastair

Default HiTec Flash 5?

As far as I know you can still use the other mixing functions of the radio. I do not own a flash 5 but I helped someone program it for a flapperon plane. The aileron differential if part of the flaperons and aileron to rudder is set up already and just has to be activated (if I remember correctly). However, there is now programmable mixes available, and because of being only a five channel radio, you may end up having to purchase another radio later on. I do think it is a great radio for the money though. I found it a little difficult to program, but thats probably because I'm used to a Futaba 8UAFS. The eclipse has all the other features you might want, but I have never even seen one so I can't tell you how well it works. The Futaba 9C is a very nice radio and with the gift certificate and discount from towerhobbies the price comes down to $345, which is the same price as the Eclipse with the Spectra Module. The one thing I really like about the Futaba is the servos that come with it. The Hitec ones are slow and don't center well. In your SE you might want to have a more precise and fast servo as the plane has very large control surfaces and is made for aerobatics. That would be the main reason to not buy the Hitec.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:29 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Default HiTec Flash 5?

I own the flash 5x, it is my first and only radio so far. I love it. it has all the mixing options your talking about plus many more. I have it set up for flaps right now. As for better servo's, I just built an aerobatic plane that required better servo's, so just just bought some nicer ones from hitec. Go for it it's a great radio, unless you plan on needing more channels anytime soon