Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

rx cover missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Marv Narlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6X super problem

I have a problem with my Futaba 6XAs super. The radio is only about an year old now. I think that I might have caused this problem myself. With all the radios and planes to charge, I decided to take out my old ACE RC Charge Master charger out to help cover all the charging needs. I installed a connector to fit the 6XAs and I believe I crossed the wires. When I plugged in the radio and switched the charger to trickle, the led light came on so I thought everything was working properly. After about 24 hours later I noticed the led light on the charger was off. I unplugged the radio and switched it on, nothing-dead. After putting it on a different charger to charge it back up, everything looked ok. The radio showed full charge(11.4 volts). But when I tried to fly my Giant Areomaster I got no response from the radio. I tried the radio on all my planes with that freqeuncy but still no response. I tried a different radio and all my planes were functional. I did install a jumper in the 6XAs so that I could cycle the batteries, but that was a while ago and it has always worked great. Does anyone know what could have happenend to this radio and what I need to do to get it repaired? The flying season is here and I can hardley do without my favorite radio. THANKS for any help.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:54 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Will the radio turn on, but not send a signal? How was your jumper hooked up? Does the charge go through the radio itself, or straight to the battery? I just took the back off of mine, and there isnt a fuse.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Marv Narlock

Yes the radio does turn on but does not seem to send a signal. As far as the jumper I installed, go to www.siriuselectronics.com then go to Diode sheets, then to Futaba T6XA. This will show you what I did so that I could cycle the battery pack without removing it from the radio. It worked great until I hooked up my old ACE charger with the wires crossed. Now it will not send a signal at all. But everthing else seems to work with the computer part of it.
Thanks for the reply Jack!
Old 05-03-2002, 08:12 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Your welcome. You must have fried something inside. I'd send it back to Futaba without taking the back off. Even if you can find the problem, without a fuse to safegard it, there might be more damage to the circutry. Make sure to write down all your programming info in case they have to replace the radio.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:34 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default radio

Marv,
Send it back.
Use your sirius charge when you get it back.....give the ACE to your friend in Afganistan if you have any there.
Doc
Old 06-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Marv Narlock

Doc,

I sent the radio in to have it repaired. The voltage regulator and two resistors were bad. They were replaced, the radio was tuned and tested, and I received it back in a very short time.
I have flown all my planes with it and it works just excellent. I really like this radio and am glad to have it back. Oh by the way! The Technician did all that work to my radio and did not have to erase any memory!

Thanks everyone for your imput!
Marv
Old 06-05-2002, 04:43 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

I've seen a lot of people do this and do have a suggestion....
Instead of jumping the diode and other things....

Cut the battery wire at a convenient location between the battery and the plug (one wire at a time please. no shorts)
and solder in a new universal plug into the wires (with the polarity right) and hook to your favorite charger....

I have 4 Tx's like this and it dosen't void the guarintee or anyhing else and is much safer...

Just 2cents worth...
Old 06-18-2002, 12:20 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Thank you,

I did forget to say that most of the time I only use this extra wire to cycle the bateries when needed and the rest of the time
I still use the charger that came with the Tx's..

I've only had to have one Futaba radio serviced in 30 something odd years...and that was a AM that I broke a pot on the evevator stick..

BB1
Old 06-24-2002, 03:29 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default rx cover missing

Ann,
My rx does not have a cover for the crystal on the RX.....My friend has one....will this be a problem???
9CA...
Doc