Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo wabble

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:37 AM
rcflyertim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo wabble

Just want to know what it means when you have a servo on you plane, that when you move the stick on your transmitter, the servo wabble(bounces) when it goes to stop at the end of the input command. I would like to know also if it can be fixed.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: Servo wabble

Are you saying that the servo arm "hunts" before it settles into position? Or, does it not settle at all? Just how old is this servo? The problem you describe is usually associated with old servos that have a bad or worn pot.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this by some chance being used with a Y-harness? If so, test each servo seperately from the Y and see how it works. I think I know what your talking about, as I have seen similar sort of annomaly, when using a Y-harness. I'm thinking I changed the Y though...it's been a while. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:19 PM
HOOTER

Tim,

I had the same problem on one of my Stik's, and as dgrant say's I changed my Y-connector and solved the problem. Bad connection in the connector.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've seen servos where the pot goes bad too. My experience there was the servo just kept running side to side.

The anomaly I think Tim has is, the servo just seems to go just past center on the return, then just jogs itself just a tad each way, then settles down to center. It takes a fraction longer then it seems it should to stop, with more motion then it should have..makee sensee?? Now...that I don't think is the servo, as much as it could be harness/wiring. Dont' know..... have fun.

OOOHHHHH>>>......what kind of Transmitter do you have....maybe we can get you going on some programing if you need, if it ends up being that. I don't usually use Y's anymore,..it's in the Tx.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I found that if have longer than 34" leads on the std size wire with 4.8 volt packs, this will happen. I'm sure it's a low voltage thing. Also a dirty connection will cause it. Bad pot also.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

As stated above, try unplugging the extensions a few times. Had a similar problem and it was just a bad connection.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
rcflyertim

Thanks guys. I started trying the suggestions and sure enough, it was the servo. I guess there is no way to cleanor replace the pot is there??? If not, I will replace it with a new servo.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:20 AM
wisdom-seeker

Cleaning/replacing the pot is probably more effort than it's worth, especially with today's prices on servos.