Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C craps out after 12 flights

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:54 PM
TXRCPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C craps out after 12 flights

[:@]
My awesome Edge540 took a year and a half to build and finish, but my new Futaba 9C took only 20 seconds after a perfect takeoff to go into lockout mode and destroy my 29% Aeroworks Edge 540. It was my 12th flight. I had no control what so ever. It arced out over a tree line and went in full bore. I clearly had no communication with the receiver. I will never buy another Futaba PCM receiver. It has in effect, ended my hopes to fly IMAC. I've flown only Futaba radios for years. I was in a controlled airfield with no one else on my channel, (36).

My question is, has anyone else had any issues with the 9 channel PCM futaba receiver?

TXRCPILOT
Old 07-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 9C craps out after 12 flights

Did you range test your set-up and what was the range?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:45 AM
MHawker

I'm a little confused why you titled your thread "9C" but then say you'll never buy another PCM "RX".

I don't believe the 9C has a "lockout" mode. The RX would if it was a PCM. From what I understand, you preset the failsafe position of the control surfaces using the 9C but it doesn't actually control that action. It sends the instructions to the RX which stores them so if it loses a signal, it knows where to go.

I would guess your 9C is fine. The problem lies within your airplane but unfortunately, as with most crashes, you may never know what was at a fault due to the damage.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

TXRC, man I'm sorry for your loss, and I sympathize with you, I have loss many large planes due to similar circumstances, But I must ask, How and why do you place the blame on the Rx or Tx. Were you able to determine from the spoils of the wreck that:
A) The battery(s) was/were charged and did not disconnect from the Rx or the switch or switches.
B) The switch (s) were all good, no shorts.
C) A servo did not malfunction, lock-up, strip out, become disconnected ?
D) The Rx crystal is still in the Rx and in good shape, did not fall out?
E) No controls horns, rods, servo arms, servo arm screws, came off.
F) Are you absolutely sure no one else turned on a Tx.?

There are many things that can cause a plane to do what you described. I use PCM Rx. religiously, but I also turn the Fail Safe OFF.
Was it the Tx, the Rx, or some unknown anomaly that caused the crash?

Please don't take this wrong, but I can't help but notice your really not sure what caused the crash. There are a lot of PCM receivers and Futaba Radios out there, If you had 12 successfull flights with the Rx and Tx just maybe something other than Futaba caused your loss.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

TXRCPilot... you set your fail safe on throttle for "full bore"? Yikes! I believe you are unjustified with the evidence you have provided to place blame on the 9C. IMO 99.9% chance the crash was due to an onboard failure or RF interference, not the 9C.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was it gas or glow? Did something in the plane cause it to go to failsafe? I found in my PT-19, I had the kill switch too close to the on off switch and it caused the plane to go into failsafe at times. Moved the kill switch, never had it do it again. I am just glad I found that out on the ground.

Don't be so quick to blame the radio. Do a little more research and find out what caused it to go into failsafe so it doesn't happen to you again on the next one.

I have seen a few guys blame the radio and then do the exact same thing on the next plane and have the exact same thing happen.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:43 PM
KINGX

I bet on whatever you want that the loss of control was caused by a NASTY DEVILISH battery pack (or bad connection of the pack , switch set up).

I am sorry about your loss, 9C is a proven reliable radio.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:19 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I think KINGX is on the right track. I allways look at the batteries and switches FIRST after a crash.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
TXRCPilot

Well, I want to thank everyone for their replies. In my first post I did not eliminate various issues. First, I did test the radio after recovery and it worked with another battery. The flight battery leads were gone, but the voltage was close to 7 volts on a 6 volt battery. The Futaba extra heavy duty switch was brand new. Unfortunately, it was ripped in 2 by the crash, so no way to test it. all the servos worked before and after. I did not have an RC kill switch installed but could kill the engine via RC with the throttle cutoff. There were no others at our airfield on my channel. I have always been careful about have at least a foot between the engine, ignition battery and the fight radio receiver, battery and switch. So, who knows. I still suspect a new Pager tower and road construction in the area. I still like my 9C radio, but will fly FM receivers from now on....
Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
KINGX

Hmmm, a Pager tower...your radio could have been hit then..
Old 08-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Geistware

SO I take it that a range test was not done.
I would also say that your system did not go into failsafe unless you set the throttle to full.

I would say your battery lead, switch, or simular failure happened.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:24 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen people flying JR equipment go in too... and Airtronics, and Multiplex , and Hitec, and...