Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio endorsements - Are they fair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 PM
ChuckN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio endorsements - Are they fair?

The big radio manufactures - Futaba and JR for instance - give their radio systems to the top pilots at no charge and in return the pilots openly endorse their radios at events and in printed ads. How do you feel about this subject? Do you think these pilots are honest about their endorsements? Or do they just endorse the manufacturer that gives them the most free stuff? Can't help but wonder if it has gotten to the point where top pilots like Jason Shulman, Chip Hyde, and Q. Somenzini are actually PAID to fly the equipment they promote. There are R/C car racers that actually make a living out of being a factory sponsored driver.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:37 PM
bullet65

Default RE: Radio endorsements - Are they fair?

yes i think it is fair for this reason.pilot x is good enough that he could get any brand to give him a tx and support($) if he wanted.also i think there is not much diff between futaba or jr,more like diff between a chevy truck or a ford or dodge all good just personal choich.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:48 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the world we live in. How many Pepsis do you think Jeff Gordon buys? (ps-- like I care about Jeff Gordon[:@])
Old 08-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Bob101

My favorite is at a recent event I saw a plane in a guys trailer who was sponsored by DA.
Plane had a 3W engine in it. When I asked what the deal was he said it was no big deal, DA was his sponsor (he had another plane there with a DA engine on it and DA signs on his trailer), just like Carden aircraft was his sponsor and he had the stickers on both planes - even tho he said only one of them was a Carden plane....

Makes you think.

Then again I don't buy a plane/radio/engine based on a sticker on someones trailer/plane etc...
Old 08-12-2004, 04:38 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If someone paid me to sport thier name on my planes and trailer I'd do it, as I am sure 90% of those here would. Would that be the only brad I would use,....sepends on what it is, but doubtful.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:53 AM
BillyGoat

Chuck, In any endeavor whether it be flying R/C airplanes, Competition mountain biking, Pro bass fishing, Golf, etc. manufactures use sponsorships as effective marketing tools.

There are different levels of sponsorship as well. Some get paid to use and endorse the product, and a well-known example is Tiger Woods with Nike. Some people just get their equipment gratis, and then the level below that is just getting equipment at a discount. Whichever level a competitor is sponsored it’s not all peaches and cream, it is a job. The sponsor expects some time promoting the product and typically that means logging many hours in a booth at trade shows. The sponsor also wants to know how well their name is getting exposure. So the competitor sends quarterly reports to all his/her sponsors regarding news such as events or competition they have or will participated in and what place they finished. Sometimes when it’s all said and done the value of the equipment received vs. the time involved, a competitor could have made better money working part-time at McDonalds.

If I were to guess top competitors such as a Hyde or Somenzini are getting paid by a most of their sponsors. My experience in another field says many of the people that just barely get a discount on equipment for there sponsorship would like all to believe they are full corporate endorsed, when the truth is they probably had to pay for the shirt they wear.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:10 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were to guess top competitors such as a Hyde or Somenzini are getting paid by a most of their sponsors. My experience in another field says many of the people that just barely get a discount on equipment for there sponsorship would like all to believe they are full corporate endorsed, when the truth is they probably had to pay for the shirt they wear.

You are correct. I was talking to a sponsored pilot for a big name radio company, and he told me he had to pay 1/2 price off of FULL RETAIL and that was his pay. It doesn't take long to see that it is not much money. It reminds me of the NASCAR thing--Now I truly love NASCAR-- went to my first race in Atlanta in 1965. A few years ago I was in an airport in Florida and a group of NASCAR fans can walking through dressed in full garb. Seeing that really made a negitive impression on me. The outfits they were wearing were at least $400 apiece (I know -- I have priced them at the track) and they had to pay for them to advertise the fact that they liked their favorite driver. Did not quite seem right to me, but who am I to judge? I fly JR, but I do not wear red underware that says "feel the difference"
Old 08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Underwear such as though could be taken in a negative manner [X(] haha
Old 08-12-2004, 08:34 PM
ChuckN

OK, I just wiped the tears of laughter from my eyes
JR underwear...hmmm, I am kinda partial to red....

I too have had close ties to sponsorship deals in the motorsports world. In fact, the pit wagon I am sitting on in my picture was paid for by Reebok. Only thing is, at the time the picture was taken Fubu was our sponsor. Whatever happened to them?

I really don't believe Chip Hyde or Jason Shulman paid anything for their radios. If anything their dad's bought them!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:05 AM
adrian-RCU

the big boys pay for nothing - fact
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

There are different levels of sponsorship and I know for a fact a radio sponsorship is probably the hardest to obtain. I was looking at the JR Flying Team. They have 200 members on this team from all aspects of radio controll. You have to competitivly place well at meets and be helpful to other regulars at meets, etc. If you don't do that, well shoot lol, JR has several hundred pilots/racers/drivers waiting to fill in, ask me how I know.

In radio control I know Hitec has a program, Class C, Class B, and Class A sponsorship levels. Class C is usually something like a free radio, and discounted servos. Class B, a very nice radio and very cheap servos. Class A is a full ride. But dont be fooled. Being sponsored is like having a part time job and a lot of time can take the FUN out of flying and turn it into a sport of sole competition.