Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

beginner radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 08:46 AM
highness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner radio

what is the most useful radio for a rc plane beginner?
4 or 6 channel?
futuba or hi-tech?
is there any radios that i can use for plane and heli at the same time ? do you advise such radios?

thanks a lot all..

what about a futuba 4VR (4 CHANNEL)?

İS THERE A RADİO THAT İ CAN USE İT BOTH HELİ AND AİR PLANES?
Old 07-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default beginner radio

Start out with a 6 channel computer radio.
For the money it is a good investment and helps in the setup of your plane.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:28 PM
javven

Default beginner radio

If you're into Futaba get the T6AXs. It's useable for both air and heli. Not much of a sailplane radio from what I see, but you could program it manually to do quite a bit.

The setup for a trainer is a no-brainer. The setup for a flaperon equipped, retractable-gear warbird's easy as well.

How well it sets up for heli's is something for a heli person to answer. Just remember to remove the throttle ratchet (common to ALL current airplane radios).

I think for the extra $70 or so it cost me over a 4-ch analog the 6-ch PCM-capable programmable computer 6XAs was worth the money. It flies both my PT-40 and Ultra-Stick 60. I have to push a grand total of three buttons to change model configurations.

NOTE: I see quite a few people in competition with no more complicated a radio than this and doing just fine, thank-you. If you must have more channels later on (full house plane, etc) go with a 9C for the lower price, or a 9Z if you win the lottery (and remember who gave you the tips when you were just starting out
Old 07-26-2002, 11:49 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default beginner radio

I would stay away from the 4 channel radios. THey do not have any features that make setup easy.

I would say the best radio for the money is an Airtronics RD6000. It has more features then either the Futaba, Hitec and JR 6 channel radios. With the RD you can use Hitec, JR, Futaba, and of course Airtronics recievers and servos. I have two helis and two airplanes programed in one RD6000. I have 1 heli and 3 airplanes programed in my other RD6000. The differance between the plane version and the heli version is the size of Rx battery. You can also get it with standard servos or BB servos.

Dru.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:49 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default beginner radio

I recommend selecting brand based upon what your instructor flies to ensure trainer cord compatibility, easy help with setup/problems, etc.

I recommend going to a radio like the 6XHS if you wish to fly aircraft and heli. It has the programming for both right in the radio, and is used for both all over the world every day. It has no throttle ratchet so it is comfortable for heli flight.

If you are sure you're going to go far in this hobby and have the funds to spend, I would suggest going with a quality high end radio like the 9C, or if flying JR, the 8103 (sorry I dont know airtronics or Hitec well enough to recommend). You wont outgrow this radio any time in the foreseeable future, and you'll know the features and layout of your radio inside and out when you go to do a more complex airplane like a sailplane or an ultrastick.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:44 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default beginner radio

Futaba and Hitec can use the trainer cord so that is not a factor. How many planes do you want to fly from the same transmitter A Futaba Super Seven has a 4 model memory the Eclipse has six or seven and the ability to use a spectra module which can broad cast on any of the 72mhz frequencies.