Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

poor 3004 servo "grommets"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 12:54 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default poor 3004 servo "grommets"

well i just bought a new futaba 6xas radio and got 4 of the 3004 servos with it. the servo mount "grommets" are really poor in these servos, in my not-so-humble opinion

these "grommets" are not really grommets, they are an upper half and a lower half. so even with the brass insert in them they fall off the servo when you pick up the servo. this is a real pain when you try to mount the servoo in a tight area as it is hard to get the two lower pieces to get in place, then put the servo on top of them, and then put the top two pieces on top of the servo mount, then start putting the servo screws into them? this is a REAL PAIN

i was thinking of getting the bottom pieces in place and then gluing them there, but this would seem that it might reduce the anti-vibration feature of these things. has anyone found a decent way to handle these silly things? maybe tape them on?
but the tape probably won't beany good later, so if you take the servo out these doggone things will fall off and get down in the bottom of the plane.

this is not a good change- this must be one of those designs that looked good on paper but is not good in the real world out here.

help!!!

ed
Old 07-27-2002, 05:44 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Ed,
The 2 part grommets have been used on a variety of servos for several years. If you push them down in/together, and then push the brass eyelet up through them, normally they stay together quite nicely. Yes, you could glue them to the case of the servo without any concerns.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:54 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply ms. cross. i will try the gluing method to keep them on the servos.

ed
Old 07-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Steve Campbell2

Ed,

I too found this to be a major PITA. However, only the "low-end" Futabas are set up for this. Notice how the mounting flanges are "solid", where on the higher-end servos there is an opening?

The opening is so you can fit the one-piece grommets. The new square ones are very easy to use. All you have to do on your "solid" servos is to take a pair of dykes and "snip" out some of the solid area, then you can slip a one-piece grommet right in there.

After wrestling with those two-piece abortions, I spent ten bucks for two packs of the square one-piece grommets, and attacked my plank servo with the dykes.

Time and money well spent...<G>

Steve
Old 07-31-2002, 12:37 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

I agree...... returning to this hobby after a 7 year hiatus I purchased a new radio. Those 2 piece grommets were in there. Absolute worst idea, ever by a radio manufacturer.....I did the same thing steve did.
Brian
Old 07-31-2002, 01:28 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I have a bunch of these 3004s. Good servos, bad grommets. I lost one of the grommets into who-knows-where and ended up having to buy a bag of 20 for $8(?) just to use one. I should've just bought the regular grommets like Steve did.

Needless to say, any new BB stanard servos I buy won't be 3004s.