Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba digital servos recommandation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 05:15 PM
Denis54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba digital servos recommandation

I need 2 new servos in the 80+ oz range. I have been told that digitals are great and want to give them a try. I am puzzled by the quantity of Futaba models available. Here is what I have found so far:

9150 80oz $100
9151 132oz $100
9250 76oz $136
9252 92oz $140
9150 80oz $100
9550 80oz $130

I will use them on the elevator and the rudder of a H9 CAP 232. Looking at the above specs, the 9151 looks like the one I should get. Am I missing something. Which of these or other Futaba digital servos should I be looking for?

Alternatively, are there any Hitec servos in the 80+ oz range that I should be looking at?
Old 07-28-2002, 08:24 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use the 9252's on my elevator in my pattern models. I have found this servo to be absolutely bullet proof and very smooth, it is my favorite of the line with the 9150's for ailerons. For rudder I do not like the digital feel and am happy with 9402's on that surface (for the speed).

If I could not use the 9252's the 9151's would be next in line on those controls.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by can773
I personally use the 9252's on my elevator in my pattern models. I have found this servo to be absolutely bullet proof and very smooth, it is my favorite of the line with the 9150's for ailerons. For rudder I do not like the digital feel and am happy with 9402's on that surface (for the speed).

If I could not use the 9252's the 9151's would be next in line on those controls.
Chad,
you say you don't like the feel of digitals on rudder. Your not the first to say this and I would like a bit more explanation, this seems interesting.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2002, 04:27 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is purely from a pattern perspective but here goes...

On the more modern pattern planes the rudders are very effective, usually only needing a few degrees of deflection to fly knife edge and less to make heading changes.

When I put on the digitals it was more difficult to input small amounts of rudder without seeing the airplane move, if you can see the aircraft move the judges will usually assume you are correcting a mistake, thats bad for points . To fix that I needed to put in a fair amount of expo. That in itself is fine, however, once you start to exceed 40-50% expo on the rudder other manuvers suffer (slow rolls, point rolls, circles etc etc.) because the surface starts to become very sensitive as the stick is moved out that little extra bit to perform those manuvers.

I did like the digitals precision for snaps.

So the compromise....

An analog servo gives the feel that I want and need for smooth precision flying, but how to get one that feels like a digital in snaps?? Speed..... an ultra fast analog gives great snap performance, close enough to the digital that you cant tell the difference. This is really only critical on the rudder for snaps because of the large deflections and the size of the control surface. So that is why the 9402, powerful and fast, 9204 (9206) is very common as well but I think it is a little slow for the rudder.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the info Chad, well said.