Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

If you had the choice, 10SXII or 9CAF ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:39 PM
4REDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had the choice, 10SXII or 9CAF ?

First of all I want to thank everyone for there advice. You guys are great. I have a $300 budget and have been offfered these radios. I'd like to tap the collective brain of our great community.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:28 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If you had the choice, 10SXII or 9CAF ?

The 10SXII was a great radio; I flew one for years. Unfortunately, while its menu (and capabilities) is very similar to the 10X, it apparently doesn't use the same parts. Also, be aware that the PCM-10 series radios are type-specific; heli or fixed wing. You can do just about any plank-related programming you want with the heli version, but doing heli programming with the plank version is...interesting. I only mention that in case you are considering doing both

If you will do a search, you will run across threads asking a similar question to yours, in which I told of why I no longer use a 10SXII. Basically, if something goes wrong with it, you're probably SOL. The radio has been out of print for a few years now.

For that reason, I would say get the 9C. The 10SXII is more capable, but that won't do you any good if a chip or board pukes and Horizon doesn't have the necessary parts.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:43 PM
4REDave

Thanks for the heads up. Not withstanding the repair issues, which of the two is a better radio. I have no interest in heli at this time. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

You'd have to define "better" for us. What are you looking for in a radio etc? Given what Steve says about the 10SX being out of print, I would suggest the 9C but that's me.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:39 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<...define "better"...>>

Yup. As I said, the JR is a more capable radio. It has more free mixers, more dedicated mixes, a full ten proportional channels... I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea.

Notwithstanding the increased capability, if I had a choice of buying an excellent radio in current production, or a more capable, excellent radio that was, in all probability, unrepairable due to an absence of some critical parts... well, that would fall into the "no-brainer" category.

But that's just me. YMMV.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:42 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What do you want to fly?

3 channel parkflyers? Doesn't matter

Full house sailplanes? 9C is great. Can comment on the JR and whether it will fully handle a 4 servo wing.

What do you want the radio to do?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:46 PM
4REDave

To be honest, I likely don't need half the features that any new computer radio offers. I just want to have something that will retain a good portion of its value. I also want a radio that I can grow into. Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

If something breaks An out of production radio that can't be fixed isn't going to be worth much at all, while a current production new radio with a warranty will have value still.