Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 08:12 AM
ogarrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio problems

First of all, sorry for my poor english.

I have flown my trainer for two times and two crash. My instructor was on
the controls both of them. I feel very bad not only for the crash but as
well for
my instructor. First flight he assured the crash was due to a human error
making a test loop. I am not sure about it. I saw my instructor trying to
recover the plane when it was going down and I could not seee any answer
from the plane when he was making several movements with the sticks.
Second flight , after flying for five minutes, just after I gave the
controls back to may instructor for the landing, in the landing approach, he
started to scream .. !! the plane do not responds to the radio.!!. . I could
see how he tried to control the plane but there was not any answer.

After the crash I picked up the plane and my instructor tried to move the
sticks and controls worked ok. Some people told me to make a range check.
They told me to walk about 90 paces with the antenna collapsed. At this
distance I have no response. After reading a lots of threads about it I
think this is too much distance. it is'n it?

Radio is a second hand Hitec focus 4. Servos are hs300 ( not ball bearing ).

Before the flight if I turn on the receiver I could seee a very random
movement of the servos. When I switch on the emitter the problem disappears.

I have disassembled all radio equipment and tested everything and looks ok.

Some people tell me to send the receiver for a check, another people tell me
to check only crystals. Some people tell me to buy a new radio.Some people
tell me the problem could be this so cheap servos. They told me as well to
use a no metallic clevise in the throtlle arm.
Too may different suggestion?

What do you suggest?
How can I start to find the solution?
I know that probably everybody is right and it is a combination of many
things.
It is very difficult to learn if I am not sure about my radio system.

I am sure you can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:40 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio problems

I lost both of my first to trainers to radio problems. To this day I do not have a verified cause of the problem.

One thing I noticed you did not mention, which really doesn't matter but where you using a buddy box? If not your instructor is probably correct about the first crash.

But I can tell you how I fixed mine.

Send the radio in for repair!!!!!! Do not put it in another plane until it has been properly checked. (sorry, if that sounds harsh)

I had a Futaba 8U, with two RX's, the first plane crashed and I built the second. I installed the second RX in this plane on purpose. Another crash. I sent the radio and original RX to Futaba, the result came back. They said they retuned the TX and RX and fixed the cracked case - which they charged me for. Hmmm. Brand new radio with a cracked case? I was there when the radio was unloaded from the delivery truck at my local hobby shop, so I know they didn't handle the radio (it was special order). You say yours is second hand, it could have been droped or knocked over several times by the previous owner.

Since this is a second hand radio, sending it in for repair may cost more than buying a new radio.

You are correct, it could be a number of things, but why take a chance on loosing another plane? I vote to trash the radio!

Also one more thing, you should never turn your RX on before turning your TX on. The servos can go in any direction and damge them.

Also, you did not mention where your antenna on your plane was at. Was it outside the fuse?
Old 12-05-2001, 11:59 AM
ogarrid

Default radio problems

Thanks for your answer.

Antenna is partially inside the plane ( about 4 or 5 inch over the area where ervos are located ) and exits through a hole in the fuse to reach the tail.

I am really thinking about to buy a new one, possible a futaba 6xsa ( if I can convince my wife ), but I would like to repair this one as well . Do you think it will cost more than a new one?

Another question is about metallic rod and clevises for throttle.
Should I replace it?

And if you are so kind just something else, Can one servo be the cause of all the controls fails?

Thanks again
Old 12-05-2001, 12:30 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio problems

I would convince the wife.

Email or call Hitec and ask what the charges would be. They may let you send the radio in for a small charge, and check it out and give you an estimate. But A Hitec is only $125, shipping will cost some, and if they have a $50-75 flat fee, then you haven't saved much.

Just curious on the antenna, mine was run completely inside the fuse. Since I am a HAM I have several ideas on that, one being my antennas are now run at an angle - even if they are inside the fuse. Never completely level with the plane.

AS for the metal on the throttle. YES! It can cause problems. I had metal to metal on mine, and just placing the metal ni-starter on the engine sent my servos nuts. I now use metal rods, in brass mounts on both ends. Don't know if this is good or not, but has worked for me.

Don't know about a single servo causing complete loss of all surfaces. But if the servo did go out that way, it would probably still not work. Sounds more like radio, battery or even a on-off switch problem in the plane.

Tell your wife you are going buy you a new radio and have that one fixed for her. Then, later you can tell her it will cost to much to fix that one and buy a newer radio and give her your old 6XSA. (sorry, I am not married, that might not work for you, it might land you in the dog house!)
Old 12-17-2001, 12:55 AM
FlyRC4Fun-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

Default Hi-Tec Crashes

While training my nephew using a Hi-Tec 6 with a training box we encountered the same problems. The plane just would not respond to any commands from either of us. After checking with several club members, we weren't the first to have this problemwith Hi-Tec gear. Seems others had the same problem as you and I encountered. We solved ours by going to a Futaba System and no troubles since.