Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NEW FUTABA T14MZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 03:26 PM
adrian-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW FUTABA T14MZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]yup sir!!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:34 PM
RCSoar

Sadly, the UI doesn't match the hype, judging by the screen shots on [link=http://www.jason.net/heli/helimain.htm]Jason.Net[/link].

One example - the Servo travel screen on the 14MZ [link=http://www.jason.net/heli/photos/review/t14mz/t14ay.jpg]Here[/link] looks a pretty poor effort.

Compare it with the corresponding screen on the Evo [link=http://www.rc-soar.com/files/evo-1-1.jpg]over here[/link]. The Evo is a fifth of the price, and doesn't have the benefit of a colour screen - and yet it shows ALL the servo adjustments (servo travel, limists reversing and centre calibration) on the same screen, and shows their effects in a more useful way.

I like some aspects of the 14's spec, and am not averse to the choice of Win CE, but Futaba's track record in producing a truly flexible architecture and UI is not good. I suspect the really ground-breaking stuff is on the RF/encoder side.

Mike
Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

i've got to disagree...the futaba screen looked very clear and simple...I knew exactly what would be changed by looking at the display...the evo screen...i have no idea what I would be changing just looking at that screen. Too much info on such a small display is often worse than too little on a large screen.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM
RCSoar

i've got to disagree...the futaba screen looked very clear and simple...I knew exactly what would be changed by looking at the display...the evo screen...i have no idea what I would be changing just looking at that screen. Too much info on such a small display is often worse than too little on a large screen.
Remember the 14MZ screenshot was showing just one adjustment - ATV/Limit.

In practice, setting up each servo on your model is an iterative process involving several interdependent adjustments for Reversing, ATV, Limits, Subtrim and Curves. For example, you often need to tweak the ATV as a result of a centre adjustment, at the same time as setting the curve points. It's clearly more convenient to have all these adjustments in one screen. On the 14MZ it looks like you have to flip between screens buried away in separate menus.

The Evo approach has all servo related adjustments in one 'Servo Calibrate' screen, with a single graphical response curve showing the effects. Agreed familiarisation is required, but is it any different to grappling with several different screens as on the 14MZ?

Maybe the 14MZ programming interface shines in other areas, we'll have to see. But IMO the servo setup screenshots are a bit underwhelming.

Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 12:56 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

agreed it's all about what you're most familiar with...but the same arguement could be made about the evo...you have to make all those adjustments to one servo at a time...and hope you don't accidentally set a value for the subtrim when you actually meant to set the end points.
On the futaba, you can set the values for one function on 6 servos at a time...big time-saver...
I fly mainly giant-scale aerobats....so I usually only need to set subtrim, end-points, reversing, dual-rates, and expo...and I quite often use similar values on each servo (not identical, but similar)....beyond that, i rarely use point curves...maybe on throttle...but that's rare...and when I do it usually takes several attempts to get it right where I want it, so I want to make sure I'm only changing the point curve...not accidentally changing the end-points....that could be disasterous on a giant-scale.

I have yet to see a really good TX programming screen...but I feel the windows CE interface is the best attempt yet...it offers the most flexibility....and if they provide a rich, easy to use GUI for the PC that will let you program all functions without touching the tx directly, futaba has the opportunity to develop the best programming interface yet.

ORIGINAL: RCSoar

Remember the 14MZ screenshot was showing just one adjustment - ATV/Limit.

In practice, setting up each servo on your model is an iterative process involving several interdependent adjustments for Reversing, ATV, Limits, Subtrim and Curves. For example, you often need to tweak the ATV as a result of a centre adjustment, at the same time as setting the curve points. It's clearly more convenient to have all these adjustments in one screen. On the 14MZ it looks like you have to flip between screens buried away in separate menus.

The Evo approach has all servo related adjustments in one 'Servo Calibrate' screen, with a single graphical response curve showing the effects. Agreed familiarisation is required, but is it any different to grappling with several different screens as on the 14MZ?

Maybe the 14MZ programming interface shines in other areas, we'll have to see. But IMO the servo setup screenshots are a bit underwhelming.

Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 07:05 PM
RCSoar

ORIGINAL: jmiracle
beyond that, i rarely use point curves...maybe on throttle.
ORIGINAL: RCSoar

The 5-point curves on the Evo are to compensate for linkage inaccuracies, on pairs of surfaces like flaps. Great for scale models and sailplanes where you need precisely matched control surface movement.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

I happen to have the new 14MZ and I have spent only 2 hrs. with it and I will tell you, as a giant plane flyer, you need no match boxes, built-in and the MP3 is great for practicing your freestlye routines. Change to any frequency at the Transmitter impound to a clear frequency!

I will admit, this system is not for everybody, but don't bash it until you have spent time with it, you'll come around.

I will post more after a weekend of playing!

Kitman
Old 03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

So how did you get it to play mp3's? this will be very interesting.
good luck
Paul
ORIGINAL: Kitman

I happen to have the new 14MZ and I have spent only 2 hrs. with it and I will tell you, as a giant plane flyer, you need no match boxes, built-in and the MP3 is great for practicing your freestlye routines. Change to any frequency at the Transmitter impound to a clear frequency!

I will admit, this system is not for everybody, but don't bash it until you have spent time with it, you'll come around.

I will post more after a weekend of playing!

Kitman
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
[email protected]

I have a Futaba 14Mz but I am facing a problem. I pressed to much the touch screen and it broke. I can operate almost all functions without the touch sreen. The only problem I found so far is with the function to give a name to a new model or to rename an existing model. I would like to see if someone can help to find a place that sells a new touch screen, so I can replace the one that is not working, or to find a way to give a name to a new model or to change names, witout hte touch sreen.

May thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I have a Futaba 14Mz but I am facing a problem. I pressed to much the touch screen and it broke. I can operate almost all functions without the touch sreen. The only problem I found so far is with the function to give a name to a new model or to rename an existing model. I would like to see if someone can help to find a place that sells a new touch screen, so I can replace the one that is not working, or to find a way to give a name to a new model or to change names, witout hte touch sreen.

May thanks
Why not send it to Futaba

Roger
Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
[email protected]

Dear Roger, I am from Brazil. I bought this radio last year when I as travelling to USA. There is no way to send this radio to Futaba. I have to find out a way to use all functions without the touch screen. Any way, thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Dear Roger, I am from Brazil. I bought this radio last year when I as travelling to USA. There is no way to send this radio to Futaba. I have to find out a way to use all functions without the touch screen. Any way, thanks
You CAN ship it back to Futaba here via FedEx or any other international shipper. Include a copy of the invoice for warranty work. A copy will also save you paying duty on the unit going through customs. Contact BAX (Futaba rep) here on RCU for more details or ask on http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm He can also ask questions regarding replacement parts.