Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NEW FUTABA T14MZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2004, 01:05 AM
mercedesclk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW FUTABA T14MZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pictures from japan,14 channel!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85889.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	177244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69788.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	177245  
Old 09-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NEW FUTABA T14MZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad it appears they changed the ergonomics of the TX... I really like the feel of my 8UAP, but I could sure use more channels. Gaining 1 channel and buying a 9C just aint worth it... but 6 more, now we're talkin'!

Could someone here please translate the brochure?[sm=confused.gif]

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Thats a very cool looking tx.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:46 AM
fiery

Try this link for a german site's specs:

http://www.drheli.de/body_index.html

If you want an english translation, go to google.com, type:

Futaba T14 MZ

Into the search box and hit "go" ...

then, where you see this site listed, hit "translate".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who can't access this feature, the text says:

- 2024 (sic - should read 2048) PCM (PCM Generation 3)

- 14 Channels

- Windows CE operating system

- MP3 player (!!)

- Coloured touchscreen

- introduction on the market in December (2004?)

- list price 280000 Yen = 2060 Euro

- Set offered with PCM G3 receiver and 4 S9255 servo's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks very much like a Multiplex Cockpit Tx. Same smooth, understated styling, like a Mercedes-Benz.

Imitation - the sincerest form of flattery?

It is due to be displayed to the Public at Tokyo's Hobby Show on 2nd and 3rd October 2004.

I wonder if it supports Futaba's "old" 1024 PCM? Or ... will Futaba do an Airtronics? (remember the 10 ch. Infinity 1000A and H - and the Stylus - no support for their older 512 PCM) and leave the old PCM tech out ... alienating those Futaba faithful looking to upgrade, but who don't want to "orphan" their existing receivers? I hope not.

fiery
Old 09-27-2004, 03:14 AM
XJet
Banned

An MP3 player????

Who in their right mind is going to waste their time and batteries playing MP3s on their RC transmitter????

Why would anyone actually pay money (and you know that every bit of functionality will have cost money to include) for superflous fluff like this on their transmitter???

Has Futaba lost sight of what people want in a set of RC gear?

1. Reliability
2. Performance (range, interference rejection, etc)
3. Functionality
4. Flexibility
5. Ergonomics
6. Affordability

I think those are the top 6 factors that most of us use when choosing a set of gear -- nowhere in that list is "MP3 player" :-)
Old 09-27-2004, 04:14 AM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: XJet

An MP3 player????

Who in their right mind is going to waste their time and batteries playing MP3s on their RC transmitter????
For instance, Artistic Aerobatics is performed with music. To reherse that it's nice to have a player in TX.

ini
Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 AM
zippo

Gosh .. 2060 Euro - £1400 or US $2500 ... pretty expensive in anyones language!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:40 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone actually pay money (and you know that every bit of functionality will have cost money to include) for superflous fluff like this on their transmitter???
Let's keep it in perspective, shall we? MP3 playback is a fcn of WinCE. It's built-in. It didn't cost anybody anything extra. I won't be using it either on my TX. Just making sure we keep it between the ditches.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Windows CE! I wonder if I will be able to download info to my PocketPC or play solitare between flights. Maybe upload a calender to ensure I have all the info for the weekend flyins. Oh yeah and now I have to by Nortons Anti-virus, download patches once a month, and upgrade every other year becasue its Windows based and they need the reoccuring revenue stream.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:40 AM
smokingcrater

Oh yeah and now I have to by Nortons Anti-virus, download patches once a month,
winCE isn't quite that bad, it is actually quite nice! I've had various CE powered devices throughout the years. One thing that I'm concerned about is latency, but now that I think about it, the flashy stuff is probably just a front end to a dedicated hardware chip under the system, so you probably could turn off the CE portion and the tx would work just as before. (imagine a multiplex tx with a handheld PC stuck on the front for programming) no worry about crashes that way at least!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what will happen sooner or later with Windows based TX :

I'll stick to my non-windows TX....
Old 09-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

More information will be forthcoming. For now you can check for updates at:

www.14mz.com

The site is a work in progress, please be patient.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:01 AM
MustangFan

Sweet ... I love progress !

It will filter down to other radios as time progresses.

I would use the MP-3 for practicing to music !
Old 09-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Kelly W

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the look of the LCD, but the durability of the screen is definitely a concern. If a guy spends big bux on a radio he should also have the cash for a case though... The power requirements of the LCD may hurt a bit though unless there’s some fancy power saving feature... Just look how fast most digital cameras eat through a pair of AA’s, most of which is due to a (much smaller) LCD.

The Windows interface may be good so long as they cover every angle of its functionality. No doubt there will be some sort of USB/other port connectivity as (I think) the multiplex TX offers... That may be a bad sign of things to come though. Before the internet came along, it was a death wish of any software company to release products that had a serious bug or two. The process in fixing the bug was much more difficult (having to track down customers and send out upgrades and hope the market perception isn’t heavily damaged), whereas now you just go grab a service pack at a later date... Almost every major software title has revisions and service packs... That’s great for the manufacturer as it can now speed up the release date.[sm=greedy.gif][sm=greedy.gif][sm=greedy.gif]

Now, when applying that same thought to an R/C transmitter... Ignoring the option to recall a product for service, the upgrade availability was never there so it HAD to be perfect. By perfect, I don't mean easy to use or functional (shown by the various books on how to program an 8UAP for example...), rather just plane reliable. My 8UAP is not intuitive in its programming, but it works and works well so I trust it. I don’t think I’d trust it as much if I knew I could upgrade the software...

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the 8U or 9C series, not having a user accessible programming capability, must be inherently reliable and this new radio (which may be as reliable) isn't likely to be in the same situation. 'If' a problem were to arise with this new radio and a bug was found, Futaba probably has an easy solution to minimize the financial impact with an upgrade done by the user, but not the loss of our models or potential for unsafe operation on the customer’s side of the equation... If there isn’t a PC interface port on the TX that’s available to users, this all goes away again and it forces the need for perfect reliability again...

In short, I'm excited about this radio and I'll probably own one in the future. I certainly hope they continue to add new and innovative features, but I hope they spend the same ratio of time/resources on testing.

I'm not saying they won't, just thinkin’ out loud...

Kelly
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM
XJet
Banned

For the money they're asking, wouldn't it make more sense (and save a few pennies) simply to provide a separate laptop or pocket-PC (running Windows or whatever) that interfaced with the transmitter when necessary by IR or cable?

This would keep the transmitter lighter and more ergonomically shaped -- and alllow anyone who wanted two of these sets to buy the second without the laptop (that they'd already have).

This thing just smacks of "gimick" and that's *bad*.

I used to buy Sony VCRs, TVs and Camcorders exclusively because, although they were expensive, they were also excellent performers.

The top-of-the-line Sony VCR I purchased in 1991 lasted over 10 years and gave superb quality recordind and playback.

In 1999 I bought the (then) current top-of-the-line Sony VCR and was somewhat disappointed with its performance. It offered a whole lot of extra hype and gimicks that I didn't want and would never use --- but I thought it might have just been an anomoly in the company's product line.

In 2000 I bought a (then) current top-of-the-line Sony VCR and was even more disappointed with its performance. Not only was the quality of its recording and playback worse than the 1991 model, it was even worse than the unit I'd bought a year earlier. It was however, loaded with even *more* useless features than the previous year's model (ugh!).

In fact, its performance was so bad that I figured it must be faulty so I took it back and the store replaced it with another -- which was just as bad. When I contacted Sony's service department to query whether I might have ended up with two faulty units, they advised me that yes, the decade-old unit would most certainly give me a better picture than the ones I'd bought more recently. They told me that people wanted features over performance so that's where the money was being spent when developing and manufacturing these newer units.

Then just to add insult to injury, my 1991 VCR finally died in 2001 after 10 years of faithful service.
The Sony VCR I bought in 2000 also died in 2001 after just 14 months of use.
The Sony VCR I bought in 1999 failed this year after 5 years of use

Clearly, at least in the case of Sony, all those new features came at a heavy price of reduced performance and reliability.

And, as a footnote, the good old plain vanilla Sony TV I bought in 1992 has never given any trouble and is still going strong --- the fancier, feature-laden one I bought in 1999 has been repaired twice and is about to die again with a soft picture tube.

What's wrong with manufacturers focusing on good solid dependability and performance rather than striving to add an endless number of bullet-points under the "features" headings on the glossy brochure?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:28 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with manufacturers focusing on good solid dependability and performance rather than striving to add an endless number of bullet-points under the "features" headings on the glossy brochure?
simple, todays consumer product market is gimmick/fashion driven.

look at the 15 year old ace micropro radio for example. it was head and shoulders above anything the "big 3" were cranking out...100 times more flexible, infinitely easier to program, PC connection...BUT it all came in a plain jane vinyl clad aluminium case that simply wasn't flashy enough. today these radios go for more $$$ than when new because they can still kick some serious but in the high-end radio game...and are still far easier to program than any new release.

i would rather go back to "dumb" radios than program a 9Z or 9C...wonder if this new radio will be any different

dave
Old 09-27-2004, 06:55 PM
red baron 99

Default windows ?????????

[X(][&:][X(][&:][X(][&:][X(][&:]

be prepared for the BSOD - BLUE Screen of Death - a windows feature

it's not a crash, it's only landing with disintegration..

as in - mistreated Lipos don't explode and burn, they only vent with flames.

[X(][&:][X(][&:][X(][&:][X(][&:]
Old 09-27-2004, 10:18 PM
RTK

Unfortunately we live in a disposable society. The manufacturers know we always want to upgrade and BUY (consume) the latest greatest. I don't think products are made to last anymore. I hope rc does not fall into this trap.
Ralph
ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

simple, todays consumer product market is gimmick/fashion driven.

look at the 15 year old ace micropro radio for example. it was head and shoulders above anything the "big 3" were cranking out...100 times more flexible, infinitely easier to program, PC connection...BUT it all came in a plain jane vinyl clad aluminium case that simply wasn't flashy enough. today these radios go for more $$$ than when new because they can still kick some serious but in the high-end radio game...and are still far easier to program than any new release.

i would rather go back to "dumb" radios than program a 9Z or 9C...wonder if this new radio will be any different

dave
Old 09-28-2004, 03:20 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Micheal,
At which point the MP3 player plays the funeral march....
Regards,

John.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM
locoworks

£1400 for it dont seem bad when you consider the 9 Zap is a grand over here without servo's
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Wow, what a crowd! Bashing a new TX based entirely on a single picture and a fuzzy photo copy of a home market ad.

You don't think Futaba takes the daunting task of replacing the flagship TX after 15yrs lightly, do ya?

I'll reserve judgement until more info is available. So far, I like the switchgear layout copied directly from the 9C. To me, other than the matt silver finish, this thing looks nothing like the German pizza boxes. The business end (i.e. the upper half) should feel very much similar to my 9C. As for the large touchscreen, I don't ever hear a reliability complaint against the JR 10X. Besides, we have touchscreen technologies in use here that can sruvive oil field roughnecks. Sissy pilot fingers... ahhh no problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Hey, just think with an MP3 player and a computer, you can make your own IMAC routine prompts and music to go with it. Maybe you can even program the MP3 player to start different clips when you hit certain stick positions or hit a switch.

The fact that this is Windows really does worry me though.

I'm a programmer, and I've had phones with Windows CE and Palm OS. They have been fine, but even as a phone, they lockup and have to be rebooted occassionally. On the phone, no big deal, I lose a call and phone back. On a Transmitter..... Yikes, I'd lose more then a phone call and the results could be catastrophic.

I have to think that what they've done is put the Win CE computer in there ON TOP of an older Transmitter interface like the 9Z, and they are simply using the Win CE computer as an interface to the older, proven technology.

I would really love to know how the innards are put together.

It will take a long while to make me a believer. On top of that, I think our current radio technology is going to have to change soon. Do you really want to be invested in a 3k piece of equipment that you may have to toss out a few years down the road? If they get this down into 9Z price range, and prove the reliability, it might be worth it.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 09-28-2004, 09:18 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Bill Gates finally got a market share in r/c. What does "CE" stand for, anyone ?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

I don't like the idea of an embedded PC in *ANY* aviation equipment - I saw navigation equipment based on WinCE and WinNT at Oshkosh '99 -- BOOOOO!!! I don't think you can do enough regression testing to cover every failure path, which could lead to a smoking hole in the ground.

Here is the best explanation of what WinCE is that I have found. This is a good reference site, BTW.

Microsoft has stated that the "CE" is not an intentional acronym, but many people believe CE stands for "Consumer Electronics" or "Compact Edition". The first version, nicknamed "Pegasus" featured a Windows-like GUI and a number of Microsoft's popular applications, all trimmed down for smaller storage, memory and speed of the palmtops of the day.

reference: [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE]http://en.wikipedia.org[/link] WinCE link
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

John, thanks for the info. So, it's not Windows "Crash Easily", maybe close LOL !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.