Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Longer Lasting TX Battery???

Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 PM
webanaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer Lasting TX Battery???

I just bought a Futaba 7CAP. I notice the TX battery and the RX battery are both 9.6V 600mAh and 4.8V 600mAh respectively. Any recommendations on battery upgrade so they may last longer. I was able to find plenty of 1000, 1500, 2000 mAh batteries for the RX but I cannot find any for the TX. Are there any that will fit my TX or am I going to just have to live with it and buy another 9.6V 600mAh .The battery in the TX is 1.125" x 1.125 x 4".

If you use the Futaba 7CAP, can you let me know approximately how long does the battery last. I know there are many factors that can increase or diminish the longevity. All I want is an approximation. Also please recommend anything you think might help me out in this quest.

Thanks ahead for your input!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:18 PM
wover98

Default RE: Longer Lasting TX Battery???

Try this link.

www.radicalrcom

You can get most any thing you need,(excepting Allice).

Dave can build you what you want. I have had nothing but great service from them.
I also converted to Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH), More battery with less weight.
Lots of helpful info also.

Hope this helps.
Will
Old 09-29-2004, 10:46 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

you can make your own packs TX for $18 and RX packs $9 if you go to walmart and buy the 2300 NIMH AA batteries in a 8 pack and 4 pack .
Old 09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mbbaj2001

you can make your own packs TX for $18 and RX packs $9 if you go to walmart and buy the 2300 NIMH AA batteries in a 8 pack and 4 pack .
Its not a good idea to solder to these batteries without terminals.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1300mah NiMH from Radical R/C in my Airtronics Stylus. I can if needed, get in 2 days of flying without recharging. It will initially charge to about 11.4 volts, but drops to 10.7- 10.4 volts and holds at that rate for what seems like forever. I really believe it was some of the best money I have spent on my hobby. Just remember to check out Dave guidelines for charging new NiMH batteries.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

I have Wal-mart or Target supplied NiMh home made packs in all of my radios and planes, cars, etc., and have been doing it for a long time, and never had a problem yet. If you know how to solder, go for it and buy some fuel with the left over money! I trust my solder joints much more than those cheap spot welds anyway.....
Old 09-29-2004, 06:24 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Im saving lot of money and I trust my soldering job. I will never buy a assembled tx pack again.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: webanaut

I just bought a Futaba 7CAP. I notice the TX battery and the RX battery are both 9.6V 600mAh and 4.8V 600mAh respectively. Any recommendations on battery upgrade so they may last longer. I was able to find plenty of 1000, 1500, 2000 mAh batteries for the RX but I cannot find any for the TX. Are there any that will fit my TX or am I going to just have to live with it and buy another 9.6V 600mAh .The battery in the TX is 1.125" x 1.125 x 4".

If you use the Futaba 7CAP, can you let me know approximately how long does the battery last. I know there are many factors that can increase or diminish the longevity. All I want is an approximation. Also please recommend anything you think might help me out in this quest.

Thanks ahead for your input!
I have a 9C, but life and battery I think are similar. My standard 700 mah nicd pack lasts for about 2.0 hours of flying time, maybe 2.5. I have a second 2000 mah NIMH pack that I purchased on e-bay, that lasts about 6-7 hours of flying. Between the two, I can fly for a whole weekend. Typically I run the NICD pack first. When it hits the low mark, I pull it out and put in the NIMH. Then I put the NICD on the charger while still at the field - 100 mah on a peak charger.

If I am going to fly again the second day, I put the 2000 NIMH on a peak charger at about 300 mah.

In the morning I have two fresh packs to fly all day again!

Battery Strategy

First, you can get a second pack of the same size and just switch during a long flying day.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH348&P=ML This pack should work

Futaba sells larger TX batteries for the 9C, and I presume the 7C as well. You can start with this one and save the smaller pack for a back-up, or start with the smaller pack, then switch to the larger pack when the first is done.

Here is a 1650 mah pack for the 9C that will probably fit the 7C as well:
http://www.servocity.com/html/9_6v_1...h_battery.html