Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna Strain Relief - Do they work???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:35 PM
MeanMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Strain Relief - Do they work???

What's up with the antenna strain reliefs that are often recommended in the instruction manual? Do they work or is it a conspiracy to get us to chop up servo arms and buy even more? I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone but the last time I had a crash, the receiver was forced all the way backwards by the impact. And guess what? The nice little antenna strain relief I had just outside the hole in my fuselage actually prevented the receiver from moving backwards so the whole receiver was ripped open by its cord. Lucky it wasn't "hurt" apart from having its "clothes" torn off... Maybe it would have suffered more had I not have this strain relief. Maybe the wire would have been chewed off by the prop...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Antenna Strain Relief - Do they work???

They're not intended to help in a crash. Most of the time nothing helps there. They're intended to relieve the strain on the antenna as it exits the receiver. This is to prevent failure over the long term since nothing is pulling on the antenna connection inside of the receiver.

Edit for clarity.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Just use an old button, or drill two holes in a piece of scrap lite ply.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:52 AM
sfsjkid

In most of my crashes, the number which I choose to keep a secret, the only times the RX antenna was pulled apart was when I had the antenna taped to the fuse or otherwise "hardwired". Never had the problem when, I've attached the end to the rudder, or bottom end of the fuse with a rubber band. The band either breaks or is thrown off, thereby giving the antenna room to move with the RX. Of course your milage may vary depending on the circumstances of a particular crash
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

You had the strain/relief on the OUTSIDE of the antenna exit hole?---
ORIGINAL: MeanMustang

What's up with the antenna strain reliefs that are often recommended in the instruction manual? Do they work or is it a conspiracy to get us to chop up servo arms and buy even more? I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone but the last time I had a crash, the receiver was forced all the way backwards by the impact. And guess what? The nice little antenna strain relief I had just outside the hole in my fuselage actually prevented the receiver from moving backwards so the whole receiver was ripped open by its cord. Lucky it wasn't "hurt" apart from having its "clothes" torn off... Maybe it would have suffered more had I not have this strain relief. Maybe the wire would have been chewed off by the prop...
Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Montague

The nice little antenna strain relief I had just outside the hole in my fuselage
I missed that in my first read as well, but as tande points out, you had it installed wrong. You want the strain relief inside the fuse. So that if somthing pull on the antenna, it pulls the strain relief against the side of the fuse rather than pulling the antenna out of the RX. And yes, I've had antennas pulled out of RX's that didn't have straing relief in them, and I've had the rubber band at the rudder tip break and the strain relief do it's job to prevent the antenna from being pulled out of the RX.

I usually wind up cutting excess arms off of servo arms anway, but I've also used buttons and other things to do the job. It's not really important what you use, but you should use something.