Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
thermal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio purchase advice

I consider myself an intermediate with respect to flying ability and have been flying for less than a year using a Hitec Flash 5X radio. I have been satisfied with this radio but would like to have the advantages of the higher end computer radios. My search has led me to the Futaba 9CAP or the JR9303.

From those who can, which of these two radios is best with respect to; deal, ease of programming, support, capability.

Thanks for your help,
Bob
Old 10-15-2004, 03:52 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio purchase advice

I can't speak for the JR.....but I really like my 9C.....I've had it for almost a year now, and have no complaints whatsoever.....the programming is very easy, and I've been able to do everything I've wanted to with it.
I'm sure either radio will please you.

One more thing, I don't know if the JR has selectible shift.....but if it doesn't, you won't be able to use your negative shift receivers with it.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: thermal

I consider myself an intermediate with respect to flying ability and have been flying for less than a year using a Hitec Flash 5X radio. I have been satisfied with this radio but would like to have the advantages of the higher end computer radios. My search has led me to the Futaba 9CAP or the JR9303.

From those who can, which of these two radios is best with respect to; deal, ease of programming, support, capability.

Thanks for your help,
Bob
Glowplug says it very well.

I fly parkflyers and full house sailplanes.

Thermal, you don't say what kind of flying you are doing or why you want to move to a new radio. Specifically what are you looking for.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 9C for anything other than super serious competition sailplane flying. I fly sailplane competitions, but I am not super serious that I need to spend 50-100% more for an Evo or a Stylus.

Can't comment on the JR. Don't know the JR line.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:38 AM
aeajr

This article is about the Futaba 7C, but at the end I believe they compare the 7C and the 9C. Helped me finalize my decision for the 9C.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=321
Old 10-16-2004, 10:13 AM
thermal

Thanks for the replies. I fly glow and electric fixed wing aircraft currently. I am very interested in gliders too. I think I may someday want to try helicopters but not in the near future. I like my Hitec but it doesn't allow me to set end points individually or do a lot of the set-ups that I see others using at the field. I'd like to get a radio that will do pretty much everything and that I can grow with for a long time. I realize that there are cheaper radios that will do most of what I want, but I'd rather buy once with the future in mind.

Any other comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-16-2004, 10:50 AM
aeajr

OK, here are your decision points, besides $$. I will use the radios I considered.

$125-150 for the radio

Number of channels - 6-7
Hitec Optic 6
Futaba 7C

Great radios at the price. Here is what they have and lack that are important, in my mind:

The optic 6 has one less channel, support for Spectra module and single channel mocules for changing channels. It offers shift select and 8 model memories. Has suppor for split elevator, but I don't know how much.

The 7C has 10 model memories and one more channel. It has no support for channel synth and can not change channels with a module. It supports split servos on the elevator which would be important with very advanced pattern and advanced aerobatic planes. They will split the elevator and use them as ailevators tha follow the ailerons. - faster roll. However the trim does not handle it well, so be super careful about using the elevator trim.

Neither has good support for a 4 servo wing as would be used in a full house sailplane or when you have flaps following ailerons in advance aerobatic planes. Neither can expand model memories

$180-280 for the radio

Hitec Eclispe 7 - 7 channels
Futaba 9C 8 chanels in FM/9 with PCM

Both have support for 4 servo wing. Futaba 9C's is much more complete and more flexible for sailplanes.

9C has full support for split elevator for you advanced aerobatics. Not sure about Eclipse since this was not really a decision criteria for me.

Eclipse has 7 model memories and fixed. Eclipse has shift select.

9C has 8+ a removable module with 6 more = unlimited model memories. Negative shift only.

Both have removable channel modules. Both have optional channel synth modules.

$450-$600 for the radio alone
Royal Evo 9
Airtronics stylus

In my opinion, these are the top of the line of the consumer radios and one step short of the professional equipment. You name it, they probably do it. The have completely different approaches to how they provide their features. More than I can cover here. If you have the bucks, check these out. More than I wanted to spend and more than I needed. both are awesome!

This article may be useful.

Radio Systems Part 2 - Computer Radios - The right choice for almost everyone
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=65

I bought the 9C. Seemed to be the most bang for the buck! I had a Hitec Prism 7X prior to the 9C. This is the predicessor to the Eclipse. I still use it for slope and when I have a positive shift receiver.

The 9C is much easier to program, much more flexible. I can change channels with a module, and have unlimited model memories via expansion cards. I really like it!

If you don't need 4 servo wings, split elevator or unlimited model memory, look at the Optic 6 and the 7C.

If you have the bucks, get the 9C

If you have the big bucks and will spend some time with the set-up, I liked the Royal Evo 9.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:29 PM
thermal

Thanks aeajr, that's a lot of information and I appreciate the time it took to lay it all out. I think at this point I am leaning toward the Futaba 9C. I agree with your assessment, it looks like the most bang for the buck!

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
srg123cohen
My Feedback: (13)

What is the difference beetween the CHP and the CAP?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: thermal

Thanks aeajr, that's a lot of information and I appreciate the time it took to lay it all out. I think at this point I am leaning toward the Futaba 9C. I agree with your assessment, it looks like the most bang for the buck!

Thanks again,
Bob

Now if something goes wrong with it, say, brake a switch or other component, be prepared to pay more then the original cost of the transmitter to FUTABA SERVICEfor repair,
Old 10-20-2004, 09:24 AM
aeajr

This link takes you to a good graphic about 9CA vs 9CH
http://www.servocity.com/html/9ca_an...fferences.html

The software is the same. Difference is that H has smooth throttle and some different switch placements. I also believe there is one more 3way switch on the H. Trainer switch is on right.

A has trainer switch on left, rachet throttle and switch placement that is more specific to airplanes.

I fly full house sailplanes and was advised by a lot of sailplane guys to use the H version. Again the software is the same. When I set up a new plane, it assumes it is a Heli. I just change it. The A assumes it is a fixed wing acro plane.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Great Starter computer Radio is the JR XF 631, $199.00.. cant go wrong 3-model memory, plus loads of easy to access features
Old 10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: SigMan

Great Starter computer Radio is the JR XF 631, $199.00.. cant go wrong 3-model memory, plus loads of easy to access features
This brings up an interesting point. One of the benefits of going to computer radios is model memories. How many is enough. The answer is, of course, that you can never have enough. So, what is reasonable?

I consider 5 the minimum acceptable for a starter computer radio, and expect many people will have more than 5 planes withing two years. Of course you could have 10 planes, but will you have more than 5 flyable at a time? Maybe not, so 5 might be enough for a long time. You can also be careful in how you set up your planes so they can share one set-up. I did that with two of my gliders for a while, but it held back one of them.

I had three models before I was 6 months into the hobby and that is generally what I see as the trend. I am an exception in that I have 8 flyable models in my second season, but I have 5 more slated to be ready for flight by the spring.

Many new guys at our field have their second plane within 6 months and many enter the second seasion with two or three. A new guy just joined our club. He has been self training, poorly, for about a year. He has four, or at least pieces of four. [X(]

With ARFs so popular and prices dropping for electronics, people are accumulating models much faster than they used to. With computer radios, you don't have to buy a radio with each new plane, so it gets even cheaper to get the next plane. It was the subject of an article in this month's Quiet Flyer magazine. The author has 60 flyable planes after 5 years. Perhpas well above average, but just the same .....

One of the features that sealed the deal for the Futaba 9C for me, (not a typical entry level radio) is unlimited model memory. I have 15 birds. My friend can't even keep his aerobird in the air and he has 8 already between buying new, birthday, Father's day and Christmas gifts from his family, plus models he bought "used" from club members.

I think 5 model memories would be the minimum a radio would have to have for me to recommend it.

Just bringing up a point for consideration. For some people 3 may be plenty for the next 10 years, but I don't think that is the trend.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:24 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

your got a good point, im not done building my senior, and i already have sig 4* and an electric foamy stacked in the corner for my next projects.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now if something goes wrong with it, say, brake a switch or other component, be prepared to pay more then the original cost of the transmitter to FUTABA SERVICEfor repair,
WOW! Some of you guys seem to really have a hard-on for Futaba's service facilities in the last few days/weeks.

Have you ever heard of Tony at a place called RadioSouth? I wouldn't even CONSIDER sending my radios back to a Futaba Service Center. Why? Because Tony and his staff are highly trained and professional and do top-drawer work, that's why. They're felow RC'ers too. That matters. My findings have led me to believe that repairs there cost 1/2 or LESS than at the Futaba Service Center too.

Find another complaint on why to not buy futaba. This one's bogus. Sorry.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
lwien

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer

Find another complaint on why to not buy futaba. This one's bogus. Sorry.
Not bogus if you're concerned about warranty work. It's not just the money that Futaba charges that is an issue. It is HOW they deal with their customers that is an issue.

Like suggesting to customers that know about this timer/throttle bug in the 7C to go ahead and purchase the unit anyway, but immediatly send it in for repair. And then you are without a unit for two weeks, PLUS, they want to charge you for shipping, all for a unit that they KNOW has this software bug. Yeah, they finally decided to not charge for shipping, but not until one of the members here took it public

Also, their service manager that mods these forums here has a habit of deleting and freezing threads when there are service issues that he doesn't want to deal with, or doesn't have answers for. Futaba is the ONLY one to do this. In all of the other service department forums, I have never seen another service department manager delete or freeze threads without at least some type of prior warning. It's an attitude on how they deal with customers. Kinda like hanging up the phone on someone when you are hearing something you don't want to hear.

So no, I don't think complaining about Futaba's service department is bogus at all..........

I ran a poll here on "Which Radio Manufacturers Have the Worst Customer Service". Guess who came out on top, by a wide margin................

ps
Krysta from Futaba has been great. She is super responsive, but her hands are tied by her boss.............

Anyway, enough said...............I just purchased a 7C because I think it's the best radio out there for the money.......for me. Now I can only hope that by some of the bad press that Futaba has received lately, that they will improve their customer service issues.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I had that decision two years ago and bought my "last" radio, a futaba 8uafs. Last year I wanted to do some things it could not do. I found a Multiplex 4000 and now I have my last radio. It can do any thing you can come up with plus features like making a servo go slow and matching the travels of servos when using more than one for a surface.

Different logic to programming from Asian radios. I would image the new Futaba 14 is still not as flexible. Its not shiny or pretty though.

Carl
Old 10-22-2004, 06:11 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Carl,

I am sure you have a terrific radio. But, never say "last" it's like saying never. It always comes back to bite me when I use either word. LOL!