Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New futaba 9C

Old 12-10-2001, 05:02 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New futaba 9C

Just bought one of the new futaba 9C radios from tower, has anyone used this radio yet? Looking for some feed back as to how it compares to the 8U or 9Z. Is the programing any better than the 8U?
TIA
Todd
Old 12-10-2001, 08:40 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default New futaba 9C

I think the radio compares much more to the 8u with easier programming.

I have both, although I have not flown with the 9c, the basic programming seems much easier. I was able to get into the menu, and fiddle with it for a while. I think I could do a basic airplane setup without looking at the manual.

As to the advanced mixing, etc, I'm not sure if they are easier or not.

I do really like the feel of the sharp control sticks of the 9c over the 8u. I believe they are the same sticks from the 9z.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:14 PM
MrGoodwreck

Default New futaba 9C

I did not buy the 8u just because I was going to see what the 9c was going to offer, I have 2 giant scale/multi's that I have been working on, and think it would be worth the x-tra cash..anyway,
Im I the only person in the workd that thinks that radio is the most UGLY radio on the market? , I know I know that is what I said about Dodge trucks a few years ago!. What about all that shiny stuff, you know that is going to look like crap when you get your nasty oil smear'd finger prints all over it, and it looks like it will be a bear to clean.....But I think I still HAVE to have one
Old 12-18-2001, 05:55 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

My 9C showed up yesterday and my first impressions of the radio are GOOD! Programming is a cinch and it has lots of great features the 8U does not. Case design could be a little more ergonomic but all switches and sliders are within easy reach. Cant wait to get my first flights in with it, lots of neat programming to play with! I'll give it 4 stars (out of five)....
Old 12-18-2001, 06:33 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Pictures?

Todd,

Can you post some pictures of the 9C? The picture on the Tower website isn't that great.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:12 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

Sure thing Mav...

Not sure mine are any better but....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	201_211.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	390  
Old 12-18-2001, 07:13 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

Here is the side view, you can see the left slider here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	202_211.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	391  
Old 12-19-2001, 05:27 AM
maverick

Default New futaba 9C

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2001, 06:51 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New futaba 9C

It seems as though Futaba is trying to catch up with the JR 8103 that's been out for quite some time. The only thing different is the jog dial. I'm a Futaba user myself, but it seems like they're always playing catch up to JR. I'm interested in seeing if JR has anything in store for their 8103? A redesign like Futaba perhaps? I've really considered switching many times, but Futaba's got my attention with the 9C.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:55 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Default New futaba 9C

BTW, what's your impression about keeping this thing clean? Do you think it'll be easier than the 8U, or more difficult?
Old 12-19-2001, 07:02 AM
maverick

Default New futaba 9C

I started out wanting to fly JR but there were no instructors at my field that flew JR so I ended up going with Futaba.

Now I have too many flight packs to even consider doing the swap.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:29 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Default New futaba 9C

Originally posted by maverick
I started out wanting to fly JR but there were no instructors at my field that flew JR so I ended up going with Futaba.

Now I have too many flight packs to even consider doing the swap.
That's precisely the reason I'm a Futaba user myself. I think I could still make the switch without doing too much harm, but I really have no good reason. I like the 8UAPS I've got, I know how to program it, and it has more features than I'd ever use. Who knows, if JR comes out with a new improved version of the 8103 I like, I may just be tempted enough to switch. Not many people at our club fly JR, and I like to be a little bit different
Old 12-19-2001, 01:49 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 9C -vs- 8U -vs- 9Z -vs- JR

I fly nothing but Futaba so I am always interested in their new products. I currently own the 8UAPS and the 9Z and compared both to the JR 8103 and 10X. The right out of the box ease of programming for the Futaba is much nicer than the JR. The gyro sensing function of the 9Z and 9C are really nice for helicopter pilots. The jog dial of the 9C will make it much easier to get through the menus on the radio. The only advantage I see that the 8103 has over the futaba 8u is the sliders on the side. The 9Z is a little bigger and heavier than the 10x but when you are only flying for 10 minutes at a time does that really matter? I also like the fact that I can use ONE radio for my airplanes and helicopters (If fly both) and the fact that with the synthesizer module and receiver I can fly on any channel I want to.

I am not trying to start a JR - Futaba war here but I did the research into the different radios before I bought and for the money you get more features and versatility out of the Futaba radios.

Just my 1.5 cents worth.

patrick.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:18 PM
Highflyer-RCU

Default Buy Futaba or JR that is the question

Hi Patrick,

I'm new to the new radios, I flew RC 25 years ago but now they got the Electrics and I can fly in my cul-de-sac. You seem to have done some research on radios and I would like to know what you think about the new JR X378 compared to the Futaba equivalent.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...p?Prod=JRP7412**&pc=JRP7412**

I'm ready to buy all new equipment and need some incite on why I should buy one type or the other.

Rick
Old 12-19-2001, 02:27 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

Originally posted by Plane Insane
BTW, what's your impression about keeping this thing clean? Do you think it'll be easier than the 8U, or more difficult?
I think it will be easier to keep clean over the 8U, there are less depressions on this radio. I wipe my radio down after every flying session anyway so I dont see this as a problem.

Todd
Old 12-19-2001, 02:42 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Default New futaba 9C

Originally posted by maverick
Thank you!
How can you say that? The JR is at least a hundred bucks more expensive.
4 4 4 4 stroken ron
Old 12-19-2001, 03:07 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New JR Radio

Highflyer

I have just heard about the JR radio a little earlier this morning. I unfortunately don't have an opinion about it since I have never worked with it, except JR has finally gotten the common sense to make a radio that can fly everything now.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:28 PM
Highflyer-RCU

Default Jr X378

Hi sirrom,

I've called Horizon Hobby and the JR X378 is on back order and they don't except to get any until mid January. But they did say they have gotten a lot of calls and response about this Radio from JR. It seems to be a HIT.

Rick
Old 12-19-2001, 09:57 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: 9C -vs- 8U -vs- 9Z -vs- JR

Originally posted by sirrom
I am not trying to start a JR - Futaba war here but I did the research into the different radios before I bought and for the money you get more features and versatility out of the Futaba radios.

Just my 1.5 cents worth.

patrick.
I agree about not starting a war, but when I got back into the hobby, after a 5 year layoff, I decided to try JR, since "everyone" at our field was flying JR...I tend to like a LOT of rudder, and was flabbergasted, that the JR 652 did NOT have expo or dual rates on rudder! The 6XAS has dual rates on the rudder, even if it is difficult to get to...

And it was $50 more than the Futaba 6XAS...

with my .5 cents worth, there's our 2 cents worth, combined!
Old 12-30-2001, 12:52 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9CAP appearance is clean

I really love the appearance of the 9CAP, not to mention the fact that it will be much easier to program and clean up. I have a 9C coming from Tower. It will replace the 6XAS which I think is the best value in radios right now. I was this close || to buying an 8U to upgrade to, but since the 9C came out they got another $40 out of me. It comes with a better PCM receiver than the 8U anyway. I finally figured out that the U in 8U stands for Ugly. The 8Ugly radio. The last JR radio I flew with was a 7 channel piece of crap with the swivel mount antenna that would swivel whenever it wanted to. I hope JR has improved since then. Their service was painfully slow too. -Tom

(edited for content by moderator)
Old 12-30-2001, 09:15 PM
Highflyer-RCU

Default Re: Re: 9C -vs- 8U -vs- 9Z -vs- JR

Originally posted by rcav8or

I agree about not starting a war, but when I got back into the hobby, after a 5 year layoff, I decided to try JR, since "everyone" at our field was flying JR...I tend to like a LOT of rudder, and was flabbergasted, that the JR 652 did NOT have expo or dual rates on rudder! The 6XAS has dual rates on the rudder, even if it is difficult to get to...

And it was $50 more than the Futaba 6XAS...

with my .5 cents worth, there's our 2 cents worth, combined!
Hey Guys,

I agree the JR X-652 had its problems but the new JR X-378 fixed all that it does have dual rate rudder and has expo.

The Futaba 9C Has no idle down or throttle cut programming for gliders the JR X-378 does.

http://www.jk-products.co.za/JR/Rad/X378.htm

Rick
Old 12-31-2001, 05:50 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

Seeing that I have never flow gliders before, can you please tell me what Idle down and throttle cut could possibly be used for on a glider???? Aren't they heli functions??
Old 12-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Highflyer-RCU

Default New futaba 9C

Hi lov2flyrc,

I'm no expert but the way I read the manual it lets you totally cut the engine and in Glider airplanes it retracts the prop for soaring. Then with one "bump" of a switch your back at whatever your last setting was on the throttle.

Here is a Quote direct for the manual on that function.

"The throttle trim benefits from JR's new one-touch™technology that allows a modeler to use the trim switch to shut down the engine, and then with just one "bump" of the switch back up, return it to its original setting."

Rick
Old 01-04-2002, 06:15 PM
lov2flyrc

Default New futaba 9C

Hmm....
Dont really see that as a needed function, thought that was what the throttle stick is for? I guess for engine shutdown it could be handy but I just set idle down to the trainer switch which works just as well. Thanks for the input though....

Todd
Old 01-08-2002, 06:59 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9C vs 8103

HI guys!

Respectfully, i disagree about Futaba "chasing JR".

Futaba offered conditions YEARS before JR with the 9Z released in 1991 as just one example. There are many more.

I'd like to offer you a comparison we did long ago that you might find helpful..which has been updated to include the 9C:

The primary advantage the 8103 has is 2 extra models.Otherwise the 8U has more flexibility and functionality, and the 9C has even more, and easier programming.

Support for Futaba: We offer FAQs which are regularly updated, support the 9C owner's email mailing list, offer email support (typically answered in under 24 hours) and intelligent automated information.

Feature-by-feature comparison:
Ties:
the 8U/9C has campac ability vs the 8103s data safe and data transfer options;
The 9C and 8103 have 8 char model name; 8U = 6.
The 8103 and 9C have servo display.
8U +s vs 8103:
1 more switch
4 digital trims & idle down/thr. cut (more versatile than analog trim)
all 4 modes
normal & functional trainer
support for flaperon/ail diff w/5-ch RX
throttle channel expo
1 more linear mix in acro/glider mode but 1 less free mix, yet 1 more heli revo mix
snap programming has safety mode and direction switches
aileron differential programming within flaperon
vtail programming in acro mode
start offset and speed offset (progr. trim1 and trim2)
elevon in glider prog
an invert pitch curve
delay on its heli offset mixing
1 more swash type — HN3
governor programming
eprom memory and can't fail a lithium battery
a diode for reverse polarity protection
increased assignability (most mixes, etc, can be assigned to any switch in any position) for control of mixes and other functions, particularly dual rates
9C ADDS:
- HELI MIXES: the 8U has 2 free mixes, not multipoint, in the heli mode and 3 multipoint revo mixes; the 8103 has 3 free mixes, 2 of which are multipopint, and 2 revo mixes, not multipoint. The 9C offers 2 not-multipoint mixes and 1 multipoint mix, plus the 3 multipoint revo mixes, but no invert programming.
- HELI CONDITIONS: offers an option for sep governor, gyro, and dual rate settings per condition.
- Heli — 3rd idle up instead of an invert condition.
- Heli - throttle needle programming has 3 separate curves.
- Channel control selet for channels 5-9. The 8U does not offer this. The 8103 has channel control select for aux 2 (but far less switch assignability in other features than either 8U or 9C).
- 2 Sliders in addition to the 3 dials.
- A ninth, switch only, channel (available only with the 9Ch PCM receivers.)
- Easier menu layout for ease of programming.
- Programming dial for speed and ease of programming.
- TRIPLE RATES easily set up and assigned.
- Nearly 100% switch/channel/control assignability.
- Dial/Slider master control mixing capability — UNIQUE ONLY TO THE 9C.
- 4 separate programmable snaps.
8103 +s:
2 more model memory
the 8103 has acceleration mixing in heli mode
the 8103 can discharge the tx battery through the charge jack

Further comparisons: www.flash.net/~dy ; 9C vs the 8U: www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html

ALSO to compare the 10X to the 9Z:
There are 2 MAJOR differences bewteen the 9Z and the 10X.

1) The 10X has 4 fully proportional 1024 resolution channels plus 6 at 512, the 9Z has 8 fully proportional 1024 channels with 1 switch only channel.

2) The 9Z offers heli/air/glider in a single radio.

The next smaller difference is the flexibility and completeness of conditions. The 9Z can assign any channel to any switch, trigger, lever, slider, dial, etc at any time. The 10X is far more limited. The 9Z has fully assignable/nearlyfully adjustable conditions, whereas the 10X's conditions are quite restricted and use up certain required switches.

Beyond that there's tons of features to bicker back and forth on; but those are the big 3.

TO COMPARE the 9C to the 8U to the 9Z, etc, please see www.futabarc.com and go to the radio comparisons chart.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.