Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:56 PM
aec12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Rate Question

What is the proper way to set up dual rates on an airplane? Do you set the Control throws mechanically to the high rate position and then use the radio to run the rates down to the low rate position? I have a Futaba 6EXA radio.

Thanks,

Allen
Old 10-19-2004, 12:32 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Dual Rate Question

That is the way I set mine up if I understand you correctly. I set everything up for maximum throws and set the radio's ATV to the maximum. Then use the dual rates to turn the throws down to the recommended throws for both high and low rates per the manual.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 AM
aec12

Thanks Mike,

I thought that was right, but I just wasn't sure. I have only been in the hobby for about 10 months and I have a lot to learn. Again, thanks for the help.

Allen
Old 10-19-2004, 11:17 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Just passing on the lessons I've learned from the great people I've come into contact with in this hobby and this forum.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

While you are setting up dual rates, you may also want to setup exponential. You may find that the controls are too sensitive when you switch to higher throws. Exponential can make the controls a bit less (or more, but that's not used much) sensitive around the center. This allows you to get the benefit of the larger control throws when you need them, but smooths out your flying when you are only moving the sticks a little. The 6EXA manual does a pretty good job of explaining how to setup dual rates an exponential at the same time.

One note, this kind of stuff should be setup in the shop, not at the field. You want to be sure you get it working correctly and that you are 100% familiar with the change before you even think about flying.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:30 PM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

When I discovered expotential I quit using dual rates, I set my airplane up for the maximum throw that I think I will need then program in expotential. You can get full control movement without having to move a switch and the airplane will fly with the same feel all the time. With expo you will always have maximum control movement if needed and an airplane with a lot of control movement will be much easier to fly.