Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
kennyaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remotes

Hey guys,looking for alittle help. My son is getting into flying rc airplanes. Im really lost on this 2,3,4,and 5 channel stuff. Whats this mean????
Old 10-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Wayne Miller

Default RE: Remotes

Hi Kennyaz,

I think the easiest way for a beginner to understand channel is to think of the channel as a control for one item on the aircraft. The controlled movement is usually done by a servo.

A servo is an electro mechanical device that will move a surface on the aircraft, that is, throttle, elevator, rudder, elevator, retratable landing gear etc.

The servo gets its command to move from a receiver (in the aircraft) - both the receiver and servos get their power in the aircraft from a battery. The receiver gets its signals from the transmitter and passes the command along to the servo, which moves the control surface.

Examples:
If you want elevator and rudder control, you would need two channels.
If you want throttle, rudder and elevator control - you would need three channels.
If you would want throttle, rudder, elevator and ailerons, you would need 4 channels.

And so on -

There is actually several sites that have documents explaining the hobby and equipment needed on the web - you may want to try Great Hobbies, or other hobby shops on the web and ask if they have a beginner document. This site may have something as well, but I don't know where to look.

My suggestion is to contact other modelers in your area and look at the equipment. It would be wise to buy the most common equipment in your area so that you have lots of experience to draw from when you need assistance.

If you don't know where a club is in your area, post here and ask if someone is flying/driving in, or near your town, I'm sure you will get lots of replies.

This is over simplified, but I hope it helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 10-26-2004, 11:19 PM
HavinFun
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Remotes

Check out Tower Hobbies, I think it might be useful.

http://www.easyrc.com/airplanes/index.html
http://www.easyrc.com/radiosystems/index.html