Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

28% EDGE 540T 3 hours flight time

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 PM
bluemagic98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28% EDGE 540T 3 hours flight time

I was wondering if any of you here has any Ideas on how to make a plane like this fly all day without any troubles Im thinking my best bet might be a good field charger. Is a PCM radio a must? Are computer servos a must? can you get the same speed and accuracy with more reasonable priced servo than a JR 8611 It is begining to look like taking a plane like this to the field and putting it in the air all day is a insermountable task
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: 28% EDGE 540T 3 hours flight time

Try dual Nimh 2400Mah batterys each with their own switch and use a diesel conversion.

The Super Thunder Tigre 4500 with a Davis head should work pretty well.

With this set up you should be able to use any servo you want.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: bluemagic98
...Im thinking my best bet might be a good field charger...
You got it! I never understood why so many folks run multiple humongous capacity battery packs, spending upwards of $100 per plane on batteries alone - when a good field charger can be gotten for as little as $35.

Dual batteries packs on separate switch circuits are still a good idea for redundancy, when you get above ~28% scale. But the focus should be on max peak current delivery, not max capacity. You can use smaller capacity 2/3A cells, which typically have a higher current rating than AA cells.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 AM
bluemagic98

Ralph you misunderstood i dont want it air born for 3 hours just a total time between charges Volfly has the right idea ive been ussing my cub a lot its a 81 inch great planes with a stock battery in it and i re charge that at the field I worry about that plane and am considerinf a 1400 mah pack for that I feel fast charging at the field is a bad idea on a continuing bassis. so i may be looking for a good cycling charger for the home do they make one that has 12v field inputs and can do a faster charge at the field? As for my new project i was looking at 3 2200mah li-poly with regulators and failsafe switches from fromeco and your right batteries wiring and charger is over $300 add a few high end servos and a pcm reciever if i go that rout? and i have about $1000 in wirring then add a transmiter? this may or may not go this way this is the high end opptions for me. still looking at a cheeper setup and a good field charger would be part of that.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:00 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Check out Central Hobbies. They are having a special on NMP Li-Ion battery and charger combo.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Special/today.html

I have been using these in my pattern planes with 6 digital servos all the way around. (5.7 V Voltage regulator of course). I can easily get in 6 flights without charging between flights.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I have two Triton chargers at home for cycling and conditioning all my battery packs. This is the charger I bring to the field:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTZ5&P=0

I use it to top off everything from flight (6V), gas ignition (4.8V) to onboard glow driver (1.2V) batteries. It will also do TX, though I find that rarely necessary with a 1600mAh pack in the 9C.

Regardless of what type battery and what configuration (dual circuit, regulator, etc.) you choose, a good field charger is excellent insurance against arguable the #1 cause of RC crashes - loss of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22434.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	189520