Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Complex servos?

Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 PM
MercuryDelirium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complex servos?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the trade, but I've been reading and tinkering with stuff for a while myself. The thing of it is, I'm not really looking to build cars, boats, planes, or helicopters. I'm interested in making sci-fi models, many of which would require a lot more controls that an average RC model. Now, if you can point me in the direction of something that teaches that, then please do. In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out what I'm looking for, and if it exists.
For one project, I was trying to figure out a way to make it angle the leg that the wheel is on a bit, in and outward. This seems like it could be easy; Set up a servo to do that. The next is to have it do that, but to also rotate the leg the wheel is on forward and backward. Is there any way I could do this?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Complex servos?

The servos we use are typically one-dimensional. One degree of freedom. I don't know of a servo that gives you 6 degrees of freedom at an articulation, or even two. Sounds to me like you're looking for a robotics forum.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Lynx

What you want to do can be done with servo's you just need more of them. They do make multi axis (joint) servo's but you don't even want to look at the price tag's on them, (talkign several thousand dollars) Hobby servo's work just fine, especially with gearboxes on them, typically what you need is a micro controller to tell the servo's what to do and an RC interface to the micro controller so you can control it to some degree. This is beyond the scope of a typical hobbyist as the micro controller development take a large amount of electronics and programming knowledge to do well. Check out [link=http://www.robotzone.com]RobotZone[/link] for mechanicals such as high power servo gearboxes and lots of other stuff. Also unless your robot is very light, using a servo (even a geared one) for moving the legs as you describe would be impractical. PM if you're intersted in using a micro controller as I tinker with them in my spare time and know how to use them to control servo's in a myriad of ways.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:08 AM
MercuryDelirium

You're probably right, which is why I asked that if you knew of something like that, to please point me in that direction. My knowledge is limited, and my connections with sources and resources are still quite limited. Usually I can find a couple places, but it seems that this time I'm running low on ideas of where to look.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

er... are you familiar with Google.com ? I typed in "Robotics Forum" and got 2,170,00 references, the first ten of which appeared on the response page, each with a sample of text from the page found.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-29-2004, 11:54 AM
MercuryDelirium

Guess I was looking for the wrong thing. I kept searching for "RC Robots," and getting, for the most parts, links to a pre-built toy.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 PM
tohm

Hi MercuryDelirium,

A couple of other good sites are www.robotstore.com and www.lynxmotion.com. These both have tutorials.