Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR or Hitec servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:25 PM
aerocom20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR or Hitec servos

I have recentle bought a pack of ES-539 servos and am very unhappy with the quality, they have excessive gear train backlash and constantly humm even when not connected. i have exchanged some of these, and the problem is less aparent however still there. I am thinking of changing brands to Hitec although i have only ever used JR. does anybody have insight into Hitec quality?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 03:21 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: JR or Hitec servos

Hitec has a very wide range of servo models and most of them represent excellent value for money.

However, the key to satisfaction is selecting the right servo for the job.

Don't take the torque or speed figures as gospel because Hitec (like most manufacturers) sometimes take liberties with the facts in this regard.

An example of this is their seemingly *wonderful* HS225MG servo which is rated at 66oz-ins of torque. It *may* well have that much torque but the problem is that (in my tests) the gears will strip at about 85% of that figure.

However, the 225 (and its digital equivalent, the HS5245MG) is about the only Hitec servo I've bought that has proven to be a lemon.

Just some of the Hitec servos I've got include:

HS5925MG -- *very* fast and powerful digitals, highly recommended

HS5945MG -- more torque than the 5925s but slightly slower -- still highly recommended. You can convert a 5925 to a 5945 and vice-versa simply by changing the gearset -- that's *nice*.

HS5475HB -- a great low-cost digital with stacks of torque, albeit they're a little slow. Despite the rated torque of 76oz-in I wouldn't recommend them in anything more than a .40-.61-powered sport plane though because the Karbonite geartrain doesn't like too much vibration or shock loading.

HS700BB -- a *very* cheap way to get lots of torque for 1/4-scale birds (since replaced by the HS755HB)

HS425BB -- one of the best "standard sports" servos ever made, I've got dozens and none have ever failed despite crashes and lots of abuse.

HS81 -- an excellent mini-servo that's light, fast and surprisingly robust. Four of them survived the demise of 1/2A little stik when it smacked vertically into a tarmac runway at full throttle. Didn't even strip a gear.

HS225MG -- lemon alert! I bought three. One stripped its guts while exercising on the bench, the other two stripped in under a dozen flights each when used as a throttle servo on my funfly bird. One stripped twice after I replaced the first gearset. I've since fitted an HS425BB in this plane and it's now done more than 40 flights without missing a beat.

Apart from the obvious exception mentioned above -- I have no hesitation in recommending Hitec servos.

Another key factor in your decision-making must be Hitec's very highly rated after-sales service. Although some people have had the occasional bad experience with Hitec servos (no manufacturer can please all the people all the time), very few have any complaints about the after-sales support.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:46 AM
aerocom20

Default RE: JR or Hitec servos

Thanks xjet your advise is much Appreciated