Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is this any good for measuring servo current?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this any good for measuring servo current?

I am considering getting this clamp ammeter from Graupner for measuring servo and battery current. Does anyone have any experience or comments on it ? Here are the specs taken off Graupner's site:

Product information
This handy clamp ammeter can measure D.C. currents in the range 100 mA to 199.9 A without requiring electrical contact and without interrupting the circuit. This range covers virtually all currents which occur in modelling, including electric motors, speed controllers, electric sub-assemblies etc. Indispensable when you are trying out different aircraft propellers, boat propellers and gearbox ratios in the quest for optimum efficiency. The ammeter features an integral memory which »freezes« the momentary value during the measurement process. Combining this ammeter with the MX 170B Digital Multimeter, No. 1957, produces an all-purpose measuring set for the demanding electric power professional. You can use the devices to check and measure virtually all current and voltage parameters in the fields of R/C electric flight and R/C electric boats.
Specification
Measurement range ± 0 ... 199.9 A
Measured value memory ± 0 ... 199.9 A
Offset compensation
ange approx. ± 20 A
Clamp opening approx. 19 mm
Measuring accuracy
approx. ? ± 1%
Operating voltage 9 V = (dry battery)
Dimensions approx. 180 x 50 x 35 mm
Weight approx. 177 g

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74628.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	201344  
Old 12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this any good for measuring servo current?

It won't be sensitive enough (like down to 1mv) which is what you want for setting servos up or checking them for nuetral, etc.

I would go with the H9 inline load meter, it is a far better option and it has a nice big display for us 1/2 blind people... and it will be a lot less money than that fancy induction unit...

THe H9 meter retails for $39, I bought mine at my LHS for $32

DP
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you cruise over to the EZone, you'll see that quite a few fliers use the Sears clamp-on meter for measuring motor current. Haven't seen too much about the Graupner. The pig is right, though, resolution on these clamp-ons is probably not fine enough for servo current in the mA range.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:27 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the inputs guys