Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

multiplex royal evo 12

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:44 PM
mattw17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiplex royal evo 12

I'm new to the multiplex transmitter. I have the hfm s version. Can it be used with JR Futaba or Hitec receivers? Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 04:50 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: multiplex royal evo 12

Yes. If you have software version 1.4, select US as the language rather than English then the shift select option become available.

H
Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo, Harry... Let's say that Futaba decided to drop the 9Z, and one of us with one is determined NOT to be left holding the bag, as he was when JR/Horizon discontinued the 10SXII. You're the resident MultiPlex guru around here. Can you answer these questions, please?

1. First, and I suppose most important, how has Multiplex's acquisition by a Pacific Rim outfit affected the product; if at all?

2. Which Multiplex transmitter is closest to the 9Z in terms of capability?. I fly both helicopters and fixed wing, but do not need a CCPM option.

3. All of my Futaba receivers and servos will work?

4. Does MultiPlex offer a 50mHZ (ham band) option?

Thanks...
Old 12-20-2004, 05:48 PM
HarryC

1. No new major products have come from Multiplex since then so we don't yet know what the big impact will be. Although Mr Park now owns Multiplex, Mpx still has its own German management and is supposed to still be going its own way. There has been a little crossover of stuff in servos, a suspicion that the 3 latest servos are merely Hitec servos trying to pretend that they are actually reliable and worth buying by just painting them red and sticking a Multiplex label on them. Mr Park has owned Mpx for almost 2 years now, and nothing negative has surfaced yet. Many of us feared it would ruin Mpx but we may yet be proved wrong. We hope we are proved wrong!

2. The closest to the 9Z is, or is soon to be, out of production. It is the Profi 3030, a green pizza box. The Evo9 is a good radio and extremely flexible but if you use all or most of the 9Z features you will find one or two bits lacking in the Evo. On the other hand the Evo12 gives you 4 more proportional channels than a 9Z, so it depends what you want most. The Profi 4000 blows everything else out of the water, at least until the 14MZ arrives. I don't fly helis so I can't give precise info about the use of the Evo for those, I have read some negative comments but they do seem to be from people who can't get around Multiplex's different way of doing things rather than any real lack in the Tx. I have read comments from people who fly extreme 3d helis and think the Evo is superb, I met a chap in my LMS who had just come back from a visit to the Vario factory in Germany, he said the factory had put their entire demo fleet onto the Evo and he was in the LMS to trade in his PCM10 for an Evo, so it would seem to be quite capable of dealing with helis.

3. All your PPM Rx will work imediately with the Evo, the latest software upgrade delivered free to all users via the internet (free if you buy the interconnect cable!) is V1.4, Evos are multilanguage so you select US language and the shift select option becomes available. No other brand's PCM will work with the Evo. Incidentally, neither will Mpx old PCM Rx as Mpx has ditched PCM in favour of its PPM failsafe system. The Profis are not made shift select but Ernie the USA service agent has been fitting shift select switch to the Profi for US customers for years.

4. I don't know, I don't think Mpx germany makes 50Mhz stuff but you could contact Ernie Pritchard who does the USA Mpx servicing, he will know if it can be modded to the 50MHz band.

You will hear people say that Multiplex is a glider radio. Not true, I only fly power - glow motor and gas turbine. We have lots of Multiplex users in my club who only fly powered models.

You will hear the Profis are tray radios, again not true, we have many users in my club, all hand held/neckstrap, most thumbs on top, the only tray user in my club huses a Futaba! You will hear that the Profis require big hands, tell that to the 12 year old in my club who uses one, I also have the photos to prove that the Profis can take a smaller hand than than a Futaba 6 Tx requires!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 PM
LSP972

Sounds like the Evo 12 would the logical choice, eh?

Off to do some surfing... thanks, Harry.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:29 AM
HarryC

One thing to be aware of in the Evo, that many of us think is an omission is that the expo is not set for each different flight mode. Whatever expo you choose is locked for that model, you can't switch it on and off and it is the same value across all 4 flight modes. There is a sort of way around it by programming in an offset curve in a mixer and switching that on and off but it is not ideal.

H
Old 12-21-2004, 08:09 AM
LSP972

<<Whatever expo you choose is locked for that model...>>

Hmmm...
Old 12-21-2004, 11:50 AM
HarryC

Multiplex has taken on board the fact that the locked expo is a serious ommission for many fliers. They have said a couple of times that they are considering a major re-write to include expo per mode (modes are called "phases" in the Evo). If they do upgrade it, you simply download the new software via the web to your Evo. However no-one can guarantee that Multiplex will make the change, or when, so I can't say buy the Evo on the basis that it will be upgraded because only Mpx can guarantee that, and at the moment they are still just considering it. I will be very surprised if they don't do it, both the 3030 and 4000 had significant software upgrades with new and improved functionality two or 3 years after they first went on sale, but as I said I can't guarantee that they will.

H
Old 12-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Scott G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly a Shogun/Zoom/Dolphin depending on where you buy it. It is a little collective heli. I think it works fine. I was able to set it up using the Evo manual alone since no one at my club knew how to program my radio then. This was my first chopper and I had no idea what I was doing but somehow managed to get it set up. I think it's a great radio, but I'm a bit of a rookie so take that with a grain of salt.

Also the twelve channels and assignment flexibility pretty much rocks. I just got a Goldberg Monster Pitts with 4 aileron servos. The instructions call for 2 reversing Y connectors and 1 normal. Not for me, each aileron gets its own channel. Should be nice for getting everything moving the same amounts...

Scott.