Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Regular servo as retract servo??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 PM
cmassa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regular servo as retract servo??

Are there any problems using a regular servo as a retract servo? I realize total travel of the servo will be less but the end points are adjustable which would make setup easier.

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 11:17 PM
smokingcrater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regular servo as retract servo??

unless you have it set up PERFECTLY, it will bind on the ends and drain your battery very, very quickly. (possibly minutes...) also, retract servos rotate 180 degrees, so at the end of the travel they have incredible power due to the mechanical advantage, enough to free landing gear that is stuck...
Old 12-23-2004, 03:08 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regular servo as retract servo??

You need to set up your thorws, not adjust endpoints... trust me I was thinking of doing the same thing when I got my first plane that had retracts... BAD idea...
In fact a regular servo won't even fit 90% of the planes, almost all planes I have seen require a low-profile retract servo.

so no, don't use a standard servo, they have less torque and they will drain your batteries because they dont' lock into place like a retract servo..
I would suggest you pick up a hitech hs-75 they go for 30 and are pretty good.