Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo ext. wire size

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:17 PM
bipe2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo ext. wire size

I have been through about 20 pages of this forum trying to find an answer to my question which is this, I have some three wire 20 guage stranded wire, I intend to make servo extensions of about 4 foot 6 inches for a 144 inch wing on a super cub. I would like to cut the plug from the servo and leave about 3 inches of the 26 guage wire to make a solid solder connection to the 20 guage wire then run this to the reciever and solder the 26 guage servo plug back on. Will this help with this long extension or am I wasting my time? thanks for any comments.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: servo ext. wire size

Try this calculator on my site to see what gauge that would work best.
Let me know how you like it.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...s/wire_n_gage/
Old 01-09-2005, 03:24 PM
bipe2

That is a neat calculator thanks.Lets assume this is a standard servo with 26 guage wire out to the plug , I will cut the plug off an solder 4 foot and 6 inches of 20 guage sstranded wire all the way to the reciever an solder the 26 guage servo plug back on . Is going from 26 guage to 20 guage and back to 26 guage going to cause any problems? Any opinions will be appreciated. Than You.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:24 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will still be very beneficial to go from 26 to 20 gauge. That's because the majority of the extension will still be 20 gauge and the resistance of the entire length will be less than if it were all 26 gauge. The resistance of the extension is a function of the gauge and the length. Since a very short section will be 26 gauge, the voltage drop caused by it is almost negligible. I didn't look at his calculator but you should be able to break it into two calculations. One with the 26 gauge and another with the 20 gauge. Add the two drops together for the final voltage drop.

ORIGINAL: bipe2

That is a neat calculator thanks.Lets assume this is a standard servo with 26 guage wire out to the plug , I will cut the plug off an solder 4 foot and 6 inches of 20 guage sstranded wire all the way to the reciever an solder the 26 guage servo plug back on . Is going from 26 guage to 20 guage and back to 26 guage going to cause any problems? Any opinions will be appreciated. Than You.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 AM
hebertjj

I don't believe you'll make things any worse with the addition of a 3 ft of 20 ga wire vs. all 20 ga wire, but you may still have problems due to long servo leads. Incidentally, I think your "normal" servo wire is 24 ga, but either way, most of resistive loss is due to the connector, not the length of wire. If you measure the voltage at the servo while it's under load, you'll see a lot more voltage drop than can be explained by a 3 ft piece of wire, whether it's 26, 24, or 20 ga. The fact that you're directly soldering in a length of wire instead of using an extension and adding another set of connectors in the circuit will give you the biggest improvement, whether it's 24 or 20 ga.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

No, this is not going to be a problem.
The length of 26awg is not enough to matter.
If this is a gasoline installation, you may want to twist the leads but other than that, you should be good.
ORIGINAL: bipe2

Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
bipe2

Thanks guys for the information i will go ahead an try it this way and let you know if i have any problems. by the way it will be gas.