Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RD6000 Throttle Problems...again and again!

Old 09-01-2002, 08:24 PM
CP140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RD6000 Throttle Problems...again and again!

About a year ago, my RD6000 developed an intermittant problem with the thottle. Ordinarily, if the throttle control is not at idle when you switch on the TX, it displays a warning and will not transmit until you bring the throttle all the way down. Mine stopped doing that and was sent in to Airtronics. The throttle pot was replaced. About a month ago, guess what? Yep, same problem! Back to Airtronics,.. the Tx was recalibrated and returned.

I tried to go flying today... yep you guessed it... same problem!

So far, its cost me about $100.00 (postage, insurance and taxes when it comes back over the border-I live in Canada) and a lot of missed flying! As you can all imagine I'm just a little frustrated!

What I'd like to know is whether any of you RD6000 users have had the same problem (..or have any ideas...I've tried everything I can think of) before I call Airtronics and have a temper tantrum at the service manager. Have I just got a "lemon"?

Thanks for letting me blow off steam (and for your input)
Old 09-01-2002, 10:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Knock on wood. I have not had a single problem with either of the RD6000's I have. They have been used for over 3 years and are still going strong. I do feel for you. I would be at my wits end if that happened to me.

I did have a problem with another radio company. That is why I fly Airtronics.

Dru.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Throttle problem

At the risk of not knowing what I'm doing here, I didn't quite get the statement of the problem: does the throttle channel not work or is it the throttle high warning feature that doesn't work and therefore disables the TX?

Here's where I get into trouble, I don't have an RD-6000 but I do have practically every other Airtonics radio, and on the Stylus, the throttle warning on turn on can be disabled in the menus. I'd suggest you check on the RD or manual and see if you can do that. I thought the feature nice at first and a major annoyance after awhile.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:01 AM
CP140

Thud Driver,
It's the throttle-high warning feature which is not working and therefore disabling the TX...

If the throttle is not at idle when the tx is switched on, the transmitter will not power up and transmit until such time as the throttle control lever is moved all the way to the idle position. (This is, I suppose a nice safety feature to prevent your engine jumping to full throttle if you start your engine before turning on the tx...of course, if it doesn't work you're hooped!)

Once the tX recogonizes the throttle at idle, it powers up and transmits... until that happens, you can't do anything with the tx... and unfortunately, it cannot be disabled. When it does work, the throttle control appears to work normally... it just seems that every once in awhile, the electronics are not picking up on the fact that the throttle has been moved to the idle position...it really is quite irritating!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:33 PM
rcpilotsteve-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

There is what they call a service menu on the RD line-up. It is a specific combination of buttons one would press that allows you to enter the CMOS if you will and change numerous functions, perhaps one could disable the throttle hi warning in there
I'm trying to find it
Old 09-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warning Feature

OK, that's what I thought you meant. On my Stylus, you no kidding had to have the stick dead on the stop to get past the warning. Without having an RD, the only suggestion I can make is to pull down on the stop with the throttle stick and/or get the trim all the way down (if its not a digital trim), or maybe hit the kill button. Sometimes you can get a touch lower throttle throw by pulling on it. Sounds like a bad set range for the warning or a bad pot. Maybe you can get Airtronics to disable it or open up the range. Frankly I had to disable it on my Stylus because I couldn't stand not to have the radio come on.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:19 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU

Can't seem to find the right combination to achieve entry into the service menu. I'll keep trying. Does anyone else know how????
Old 09-03-2002, 04:17 AM
CP140

RCPilot...

Thanks for trying... there must, of course, be some way to get access to "hidden" menus... when I got my TX back, it had been "wiped" of all memory settings(trim, reversing, mixes etc)... thank goodness I'd taken the time to write them down!

I think I'm calling California in the AM and saying a few choice words to the service guys... I'll let you know how things turn out.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU

I emailed Airtronics tech support asking for the key code to enter the service menu and the reason for which I wanted it. He replied with
A) you cannot disable the Throttle hi warning period
B) no key code, I still can't get in the service menu
Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 AM
CP140

Default Airtronics-Good Service!

Thanks for your help guys. I called Airtronics this morning and after pulling the paperwork from the previous repairs, they called me back and said they would ship a replacement transmitter to me...they just requested that I send the current one back so they can have a look at it and try to duplicate the problem...

They've got my vote...I'll be recommending Airtronics to anyone who wants a radio!
Old 09-18-2002, 12:04 AM
CP140

Default Thank You Airtronics!!

Wow!

The replacement TX arrived in the mail yesterday...It wasn't just a replacement, but an RD6000 Super (the one I had was one of the original RD6000s) complete with servos, receiver etc!... the whole bit! This is frankly, more than I had expected.

Thank you Airtronics!
Old 09-18-2002, 05:02 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU

I'm trying but I just can't get mine to screw up
Guess I'll have to buy the new RD8000 anyway