Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 55's with FMA receiver?

Old 01-27-2005, 10:19 PM
jplacy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 55's with FMA receiver?

Has anybody out there experienced any problems with Hitec HS-55 servos w/ a FMA M-5 receiver? I just purchased an M-5, and noticed that the servos give a constant "chirp" (stalling sound) as soon as I flip on the transmitter. No, the servos aren't actually binding with anything since this happens even without the servo connected to a control rod. There isn't any movement or twitching in the servo itself. Oddly, the servo responds and moves like it should.... it's just making unusual sounds when sitting at neutral.

Even stranger, when I plug some Futaba S3004 servos into the same receiver... no problems whatsoever.

Weird!

-JPL
Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Hitec 55's with FMA receiver?

Yes I have four attached to the FMA M5, but only two of mine make noises, the other two don't. They are all NIB but two of them are older than the others, but I don't remember which are the old and which are the newer servos so I don't know if the old ones or the new ones are making the noises. They all work fine just noisy.
fossil
Old 02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
mickey-gem

I know this is an older post, but I amexperiencing the same proplems with an FMA 5

and Hitec HS-81 servos. I took the first receiver back to the LHS today and I received another

in its place. I will check tomorrow if I still have the same problems! I will post with results!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 AM
XJet
Banned

I've been using HS81 servos (and lots of other Hitec servos) with the FMA-M5 receivers and had no problems.

Note that due to the computer-based decoder in the M5 you may experience *some* buzzing but that's nothing to worry about unless you can actually see the servos physically moving.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I have an M5 with HS-55 servos. After two non-eventful flights I thought everything was peachy. The second time out on a fully charged battery nothing worked. When I turned on everything would stay at neutral. It turned out that I could hold full up elevator (for example) when turning on the reciever and it would go full up and then everything would freeze. I stuck it in the car for a few hours and when I tried it later in the day it worked fine. The battery had been off charge for several hours the first time I tried it as well.

I know this isn't the same problem the original post mentioned and I'll definately check for "chirping" the next time out.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:05 PM
mickey-gem

I did return the first M5 I purchased from one of my LHS's The store owner was nice enough
to replace it with a new one. So I tried the second receiver and I still experienced the "buzz"
from all 4 servos (Hitec 81's) I also experimented with two GWS NARO PRO STANDARDS I had
on hand and they "buzzed" even louder.

The control surfaces do not flutter or move alot, I do believe they moved ever so slightly, I do
not think it was enough movement to have an effect on flight characteristics, i have a nice little amount
of $$$ tied up into this plane, so I have a hard time risking it.

I did read aother thread here in which the person had a Hitec eclipse 7 and thought that was the cause
of his servo buzzing. I too have a Hitec Eclipse 7 so that may be an explanation.

I did take the second receiver back as well and purchased a Hitec Electron 6 duel channel receiver
I have used many Hitec receivers with no issues, so I think I will just stick with this for now! I wanted
a 6 channel anyway so that worked out!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:10 AM
XJet
Banned

As I pointed out earlier, the M5 can cause your servos to buzz a little -- it's a function of its computerized decoder system.

Personally I think you took a big step backwards in settling for the Electron 6, it is a "last century" design with no real ability to reject noise or interference once it gets through to the decoder section.

Far better options would have been the Berg 5/6, the Sombra Shadow or even that M5 you sent back.

In my receiver shootout article (held up a few weeks because I've been given a "sneak peek" at a new offering from one of the cutting-edge vendors) the plain old PPM/FM receivers simply do not perform at all well when faced with any kind of noise or interference.

If you've got a "nice little amount of $$ tied up in this plane" then I suggest you should have gone for a receiver that offers you some protection against interference and (in the case of the Berg and Sombra), even some protection against being shot down by someone else on your channel.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Well make sure to add in your article the service from FMA is less than stellar. I had a faulty switch that burned out the PIC on my Extreme 5. After two months and $25 I got it back. First flight the plane lost reception and crashed, turned out the crytal socket had an intermittent connection. I was notified of a crash and burn policy to upgrade to the M5 for $45. which I thought should be free after paying $25 for nothing. They split the differance for another $25 I got a new M5. Two flights with the M5 and the next day it won't respond upon start up. I tried all sorts of things and finally gave up and stuck it back in the car. Tried it later in the day and it suddenly worked. Since it was a foamy I flew it and after 8 minutes it "locked out" and now it won't work at all. Switched back to a 555 and it works great in the same application for 5 flights now. I'll send it back in and see what happens but I am loosing faith in FMA.

The Shadow-1 looks interesting but is completely sold out and now is being replaced with a seven channel unit that won't be out untill mid summer.

My 555 performs really well at as busy an airfield as you can imagine so last century technology or not they work. Fred Marks and Berg are definitely on to something but if you have an expensive plane a Futaba FP149-DP is still one heck of a reciever.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:09 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
Well make sure to add in your article the service from FMA is less than stellar.
That's a diplomatic way of putting it -- but I agree. When a company doesn't even bother to answer emails directed to its support address (my experience) they don't score very highly in the support area. There were also some issues with two of the M5s I reviewed in respect to their performance during changes in temperature (such as when going from a warm car to a very cold flying environment)

They're quite a nice little receiver but my tests do show that they're not the best on the market and it would appear that you should not hold your breath if you expect to get reasonable support from the manufacturer.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
mickey-gem

I still have a Quantum 8 receiver, still in the package that I purchased directly from
FMA. I will probably e-bay it before I even try it out, so I do not have to deal with FMA
directly. When I ordered the quantum 8, I received an e-mail from them stating that the
quantum 8 was not in stock, and would not be back in stock for 3 weeks. I then e-mailed
the sales department and asked them to cancel my order due to the 3 week plus one week
shipping time, expressing that I needed the receiver much sooner.

I received an e-mail the very next day that indicated that they had just received an invoice
of available receivers and that I would have it delivered within a few days.??????????????????

So now I have a receiver that I do not really want to use because of past experience with the 2 M5's
and wondering how they "miraculously" had receivers available after I asked them to cancel my order?????

A receiver should be good "all around" not one aspect perfected (computerized de-coder) and then
another aspect imperfected (buzzing) I should clarify that with the GWS servos I tested the M5 with, there
was more than just buzzing, the control surfaces were deflecting about 2-3 mm in either direction, and
the buzzing sound was pretty bad especially with the GWS servos, so bad that I switched to a different channel
and crystal on my Spectra Module because I thought I was getting a hit or major interference!