Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why JR???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 11:17 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why JR???

I fly JR. I have since 1998 after I replaced my old Expert outfit that I had had since 1991 which replaced my Expert Mk 9 outfit I had had since 1982. I bought an xp8103 (huh!). Seemed like the best combination of features and price.
Now, 4 years later I am looking for a 10X or similar transmitter. 10SX or SXII perhaps. SXII preferrably. I don't need anything but the Tx and charger. But $800 (or even $700 for the 10X tx is too much...) I have enough JR servos and receivers. Recently on eBay, someone had a NIB 10X air complete with a starting bid of $999, no reserve. It was all I could do not to bid. I literally had to walk away from my PC. Someone bid $999 and got it.

But this isnt a want ad....

Why is JR so popular? I see JR stuff for sale here or there and it gets snapped up at a MUCH quicker rate than Futuba or Hitec, ESPECIALLY 10S, SX, SXII and X transmitters.

Can someone 'splain the phenom?
Old 09-06-2002, 01:16 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Default Why JR???

They have a good product - I have owned 2-347s and 1-8103--They have great marketing-look at all of the sponsered pilots-(I don't think Qi-Qi changed to JR because he was fed up with Futaba customer service or glitching)---add to that a decent reputation. I will stop here before I start a fight. People get very loyal to their radios.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:05 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why JR???

Oh Yea---I forgot to mention I now fly Multiplex--(some people just can't follow the crowd)
Old 09-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Why JR???

JR is popular because it's a good product, the price is competitive, and got a solid service / customer service.....a many big company (except JR)can you call and actually talk to the person that is working or has worked on your radio.....usually you talk to office people... in my mind big difference.....

Daniel D.
not sponsor.....
Old 09-07-2002, 03:09 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default I agree with Dansy

I have flown a 9ZAPS for the last ten years and had my first JR experience when I purchased a giant scale that was complete. JR equipment and support are super in every sense of the word. I actually just bought a new 10X and like it alot. There is a ton and a half of threads on the similarities and differences between the 9Z and 10X for example, but the bottom line is that they both fly the plane. Flawlessly for the most part. My two cents is that since I own both a 9ZAPS and 10X I've found that the although the 10X is much much simpler to program, the Futaba is far more complex and complete as far as software goes. Those who have experience with both will especially notice the differences and advantages Futaba has in the flight condition modes. JR is miles behind in that area but I've learned to live without conditions anyway. After awhile you need a filing system to keep up with all the different set ups.
The tinkerer,software junkie, jet flyer, sailplane purist, heli pilot, and all around tweakers like/don't mind the Futaba, where the let's set it up and go fly types seem to gravitate towards the JR. We move through different stages in RC. I've been at it since 1976. At this stage of the game where time is more critical in my situation than in the past, I seem to be back to basics and keeping it simple. Oh well, time to get to the field...
Old 09-07-2002, 10:34 PM
rcaerobatics-RCU

Default Re: I agree with Dansy

Originally posted by bob_nj
Futaba has in the flight condition modes. JR is miles behind in that area but I've learned to live without conditions anyway.
The JR 10X also has in flight conditions, it is called Flight Modes and has 5 (Futaba has 8). I use 3 Flight Modes in my 27% CAP.

I also have the Futaba 9Z WC2 and yes it is more difficult to program, and after 17 years flying Futaba, I switched this year to JR because I want better quality.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:09 AM
bob_nj

Default Modes/Conditions

Although JR has flight modes, they are not at all like the Futaba. In the Futaba conditions, you have a completely new set of software to program and fiddle with. The JR offers a limited menu in this area. I won't go into all the subtleties here, but it's just a different set of rules.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:35 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default JR

Hi Jay

I don't fly any Futaba stuff, and have some JR and Airtronics.
I am curious about the aspects of JR gear that you consider better "quality" then Futaba. Until recently you have been a long term Futaba user. Can you elaborate? Is it componentry, build quality, or what?

If you choose not to reply, that's ok, I hate silly flame wars too and won't buy in to them. Like I said, I'm just curious.

fiery
Old 09-08-2002, 02:43 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default Why JR???

>

Oh, please. He changed because Horizon agreed to put him on the payroll without making him move to Illinois. The Empire wanted him to move. It is as simple as that, and has nothing to do with him thinking that JR is "better" than Futaba.

Bob-nj, I think you put it better than I've heard it yet; those of us who don't mind tweaking and learning prefer the 9Z, because of it's tremendous flexibility, while those of us who do not wish to be confused, in any manner, go with JR.

Personally, I'll take a bit of confusion along with the ability to have it MY way...<G>

Steve
Old 09-08-2002, 06:16 PM
rcaerobatics-RCU

Default Why JR???

Hi Fiery

Let me clarify, I like futaba and I will support them but (in my opinion) futaba has degraded the quality in the present years. In the past (the Gold, 7U, first 8U days) all futaba radios was rock solid, not a single failure. Now (present) I have to send to repair or check a futaba radio for something. I had the old JR radio (galaxy 8) and also was rock solid, now (present) before switch to JR, I have tested many friends JR's radios (10x's, 8103's 662's etc) and I find it still a rock solid product, specially in build.

To Bob... I like the Futaba WC2 programming, yes it has (some) more features than the 10x but I still can program the plane the way I like and more easy with the 10x.

To Steve... I'm not in any JR payroll... that's for the Big Guys :-)

Again this is my opinion, I still like futaba but honestly, side by side I find JR a better quality product.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:43 PM
bob_nj

Default Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve

It's always nice to know that a connection was made! Since I can't make up my mind what I want at times, I have them both
Old 09-08-2002, 08:40 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default JR

Thanks Jay.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:02 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Default Why JR???

>

I would agree that MOST of their (JR) stuff is fully the equal of Futaba, but better? Nah... And I used JR exclusively for ten years.

And there are quite a few former users of JR digital servos who would take issue with your statement, as well...

Steve
Old 09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Why JR???

I have noticed the JR's servos seem to get the nod where the high-end digitals are concerned.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Default Why JR???

I don't know, I think most people advance in the product they started with. I was Futaba. I went up thru thr ranks. Started with the 4 channel, then the T6xa, T6xas and now run the 8UAFS. The I supercharged it with the "campac."
*Probably install a "Dial a Crash" later on. It will be like having a 454 in a Chevy Vega. its a good radio and doubt I'll need another for a few years.
If you bounce around from one brand or another, it can cause priblems for you
Old 09-09-2002, 07:46 PM
AJF 2

Default Why JR???

I don't know, I think most people advance in the product they started with.
--not true in my case but I do agree with you--I started with Futaba--went with JR---and ended up with Multiplex--and as I said in my earlier post --PEOPLE GET VERY LOYAL TO THEIR RADIOS . Sorta like religion--what you grow up with is what you stay and become loyal to--then argue with anybody who tells you anything different. People change planes and engines all of the time -- not so with radios. Just my opinion, of course
Old 09-09-2002, 11:41 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Default Why JR???

If you bounce around from one brand or another, it can cause priblems for you
--This also may be true--however--how do you know what you like best if you don't try anything different? Digitial Servos was also mentioned here--I have tried almost all of them and find there to be a big difference--For planes 16 lbs and under the Multiplex Royal seems to be the best servo at 77 oz torque and around $60----However for the "Super Torque high dollar" catagory the Hitec 5945 (to me anyway) is the best servo you can get---at any price.
In other words--I say this---If you can afford it--EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT BRANDS--YOU WILL BE AMAZED.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Default *JR, the best*

I flew Kraft in the 70s, switched to Futaba in 1982, then to JR in 1997. I started with a 622 to fly a helicopter. Futaba didn't have an equivalent at the time. Planes were number one with me then.
Now it's a dead heat with planes and helis. I have two 8103H transmitters with seven planes active in one of them and four helis in the other. Too many, but what can you do... anyway....

JR servos are better. Even the 517s and 531s are excellent servos. In my opinion, in general, Futaba servos are not of the same quality as JR, right down the line. I still run 9202s, 9252s, and some 5101s, mostly in helis. They are good, but JR's 4131s, 4721s, and 2700s are great. I think the 2700 is the best servo I ever had. (I still have four of them). I had some 8417s that performed flawlessly.

The 8103 is the best transmitter I ever had, compared to a couple dozen others or so. It does feel great, marketing BS aside. Switches are right where they belong. Even adjusting to a different location for retracts - using a heli transmitter- was easy.

Never a glitch, never a failure, never a problem. Fair prices, great service techs. I'm never going back. I hope my 8103s last forever. My beef with the 10x is that it's too heavy. Also, I can't use all that stuff it has. A man's got to know his limitations... The 8103 is perfect. --Tony I.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:54 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default Why JR???

RC IS JUST A PIMPLE ON FUTABA'S ASS. EVER WONDER WHAT GAUGES THE FORMULA 1 CAR DRIVERS ARE LOOKING AT? YEP, YOU GOT IT. HOW ABOUT THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ON NISSAN 300ZX'S? YEP, RIGHT AGAIN "FUTABA". DOES THIS MEAN THEY DONT CARE ABOUT US MODELERS? OF COURSE NOT, JR (JAP RADIO) ONLY MAKES RADIOS. THEIR R&D IS MORE EXTENSIVE. BOTH BRANDS HAVE THEIR PROS AND CONS. BOTTOM LINE? THEY BOTH FLY YOUR AIRCRAFT. DO YOU LIKE CHEVY OR FORD? THATS THE DIFFERENCE. PERSONALLY I'M A DOGE MAN, BUT I FLY FUTABA.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:35 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Default JR

I am sure all the major brands are quality equipment, with electronics and surface mount technology where it is today, it would be hard to go wrong with any name brand. I started out with Futaba but switched to JR initially for one reason. The same as their advertising slogan - "Feel the difference". I plain just liked the way the transmitter felt in my hands! It's comfortable and easy to hold. Almost all the fliers at my field that use JR (from pattern pilots to jet jockeys) have said the same thing. Now that I have 2 8103 systems and tons of other JR equipment and are used to their programming, I wouldn't change for anything. I have never had any radio problems and anytime I've called Horizon for any technical help, I got it right away. Like the previous post said, people are loyal to their brand, so just put my down as a very loyal JR user.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Default Why JR???

Still fly my sport models on four of the Futuba "fg-series" or gold-case radio's and love them. When it comes to expensive scale warbirds - JR. Like the previous reply - JR just feels right and their customer support is outstanding!
Old 10-10-2002, 03:08 PM
JingYou

Default Why JR???

I dont see any throttle cut on XP8103.. are there anyways to kill the engine ?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:16 PM
tsaldivar

Default JR

I will NO LONGER try, experiment, or LOSE another airplane to anything BUT JR equipment!

It just has NOT paid off!

Servo resolution, AND centering ability, as well as strength take priority in my ships!(aircraft)

I've tried Hitec a number of times, and have had a HELL of a time getting thier servos to center, and have heard too many horror stories about thier Digitals locking up, or failing!

I have NOT tried the Futaba S5050 servos YET but they may have something there, if the the plastic 1st gear DOUSN'T fail!, and centers!

Not angry!, just ready to move ahead!
Old 10-17-2002, 03:02 PM
trailingedge

Default Why JR???

I will NO LONGER try, experiment, or LOSE another airplane to anything BUT JR equipment!

That's kinda closed minded isn't it? I mean really.... If I can't tinker with new stuff and see what I can extract from it, then I'm not having fun. I started with a Futable 6 channel Conquest and now have a 6XAS. I've flown with friends' JRs and Hitecs and like them. If I find one that catches my eye (or should I say pocketbook), then I'll buy one. I like what I have, but just like most other hobbyists I'm looking for newer, better, and prettier. Just because it's a brans X doesn't mean that it's a peice of gold or junk. Try it or better yet let your friends try it *laughs*.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:19 PM
tsaldivar

Default Jr

Closed minded, now I will take offense to that, due to EXTENDED personal experience.
Who or what caused you to think that other people just "make things up?"
Not to say now that plenty of people haven't, but do ME a favor and remove the "firmly placed" and sometimes paying attention to others factual statements and or experiences are actually TRUE!
As to your "challenge" with "pretty", once again YOU take the initiative to "think" and state that OTHER people only make thier decisions based on cost or beauty!
I'm really disappointed with your attempt at my 28 years of experience in r/c modeling. Not saying that I've learned a gul-durn thing in that time, BUT that I can at LEAST know what my eyes have verified WORKS!
Now I feel better.
Have a great day and keep em' flyin'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.