Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How many of you use HAM Ban radios?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you use HAM Ban radios?

How many of you use HAM Band Frequencies? And have you ever had any problems with errant transmissions causing a "hit" or a crash?

I'm about to go test in a few days after wanting a license since I was young and had a neighbor that was really big into it. I'm looking at purchasing some more equipment and thought maybe I would check out 50 MHZ after I get licensed. I'd appreciate any feedback on this. The people I have asked so far range from never having a problem to others saying that anyone could knock you out of the sky and have heard of it happening quite often. (I don't think they hold a rating)

Thanks,
David
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How many of you use HAM Ban radios?

I fly on ham frequencies and have never had a problem. I had my ham ticket, but had never switched to flying on 6 meters until I got shot down, losing a giant, by some idiot who didn;t follow the rules on frequency pins. Go for it. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I fly 50 mHz (AB0GZ). Advantage: less crowded Disadvantages: hard to buy and sell equipment. Cannot use many low-cost receivers such as for park flyers, (gws, ETC.). These receivers are sold only on the 72 mHz band. Low-end transmitters, even from JR are not available on 50 mHz.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 PM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

No problems flying on 50MHz, and never a freq conflict at the field. I use a Futaba 8UAFS which has RF modules so can plug in one for 50MHZ or 72MHZ (for the one receiver I have left on ch 22)

Larry KBØR
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
P47 Jug - Al

Although I am a ham (WB8LXT), I have not operated on the ham bands for flying. Guys at my club, when I was starting to fly, advised me of things like resale value and all that of the ham radios. So I stuck with the common frequencies. I just picked one no one else used. Another ham at the club does fly the ham frequencies and has not had a problem. I should note our field is out in the boonies.

Al
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Silent-AV8R

I have flown on nothing but ham band for over 10 years now using both JR and Futaba radios. I have flown all over the west coast from San DIego to northern California as well as in Arizona, Nevada, and Illinois. I have flown ham band in giant scale aerobatic planes, giant scale gliders, electric gliders, and thermal duration gliders. I have flown out in the country and in crowded urban areas and at fields with virtually nobody and contest environments with 300 people. I have NEVER had a single problem caused by errant interference. I got shot down once by a guy who never bothered to check the pin board since he figured he was the only ham in town.

BTW, there are several sources of small ham band receivers. I recommend FMA. I use them in small electrics with great success.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thing about being a ham is that you can build the ultimate radio like the [link=http://www.mstar2k.com]microstar2000[/link]

and over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/ you'll find a great group of microstar2000 and micropro8000 users, many who are hams. has been a lot of discussion lately on preparation for the test and availability of ham band receivers.

dave
Old 02-01-2005, 12:51 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I've been flying on 6 meters since 1957. I have never been hit with any interference in any area (Chicago, South Bend, Kansas City) where I have lived. Needless to say out here in Wyoming, it's not a problem. Stay away from 53 mhz as there are repeaters on that part of 6 in some areas of the county.

I use JR equipment and any transmitter with a module can be put on 6. You can check out FMA and Berg for small 50 mhz receivers. The JR PCM receivers are available on 50 mhz and are bulletproof.

Rich
AD9V
Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: P47 Jug - Al

Although I am a ham (WB8LXT), I have not operated on the ham bands for flying. Guys at my club, when I was starting to fly, advised me of things like resale value and all that of the ham radios. So I stuck with the common frequencies. I just picked one no one else used. Another ham at the club does fly the ham frequencies and has not had a problem. I should note our field is out in the boonies.

Al
Guys,

The resale thing used to be true, but since eBay that is no longer true. Ham stuff brings at least the same as 72 MHz stuff. And BTW, old gear is still legal and it brings a decent price too.

I have never had a problem on 6 meters but I have seen a bunch have them on 72 MHz.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:51 PM
The PIPE

The "HAM way to go" is a GREAT way to go RC flyin'...

Dear Frisk151:

The PIPE here once more...and a LONG time Ham licensee, ever since 1978!

So far as I know I've NEVER been "hit" on six meters, and in the time I flew on 53 MHz (from late in 1978 through to 1986) no problems were EVER observed! One crash I DID have while flying on 53 MHz was traced down to a bad Royal Mini Titan servo (no longer made, thank goodness!) locking up my entire airborne pack...but NEVER a "shoot-down" from a fellow Ham, of ANY sort!

Nowadays, though, with 53 MHz HAM REPEATERS sprouting up like dandelions in a huge lawn...depending on WHERE one is in the USA...the 50 MHz narrowbanded Ham channels, numbered "00" through "09", and ranging from 50.800 MHz for Ch.00, upwards to 50.980 MHz for Ch.09, are what are being sold and used for radio frequencies on the 50 MHz Ham band by the "big three" of Futaba, Sanwa (Airtronics) and JR here in North America. For SOME reason, the Canadians aren't allowed to use Ch.09 as yet (check at http://www.maac.ca/committees/docume...ncy_chart.html for the Canadian frequencies) but all ten of them on 50 MHz are certainly used here in the USA...the AMA's listing is at http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/frequency.htm for us Americans!

And at http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/ (one of my MOST repeated links here in my posts concerning Ham RC flying!!!) is THE place to check for "possibly OFFENDING" six meter (50-54 MHz) Ham repeaters in the USA, and even in CANADA...I found two in Southeastern MA that made me GLAD that my new MicroStar knobby single-stick radio, chronicled in my LONG running thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_302053/mpage_2/tm.htm (for the page, with Post No. 57 there, with PHOTOS of my new scratchbuilt computer transmitter!) is going to be on the 50 MHz band...on one of the ODD numbered channels!

If you're interested in getting yourself going on getting your Technician class Ham license, you'll ONLY need to pass a multiple-choice test, administerted by a local Ham radio club near you, and get at least 26 out of the 35 questions right ON that test to pass it, you'll get your Technician Ham license...NO Morse code test is required any longer for the "basic" Technician class Amateur Radio Service license in the USA!

For info on ANYTHING having to do with getting your Ham license, you've only to head for...

http://www.arrl.org/

...the main website for the AMERICAN RADIO RELAY LEAGUE, which is the "AMA for Ham Radio"! You can find the actual FCC "Part 97" Amateur Radio Service rules there (at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/ ), find a Ham club to study for the test with-and to TAKE it at one of their "volunteer examination", or "VE" test sessions, at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml ...that ARRL site has a WHOLE LOT of info for you to check out!

Here's hoping you can go for a Ham license of your very own...then the 50 MHz skies can "open up for you", with NO waiting for a clear frequency to go RC flying!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Plane Insane
My Feedback: (4)

I want to thank everyone who replied... I can tell you all that I am now even more excited about testing and receiving a rating. I've gone through a number of online practice tests and did real well.. I'm still studying up on more, some beyond my first rating.

I am currently am using a Futaba 9Z system and after my recent crashes, none of which were pilot error (I would have felt much better if they were! honest!), I can say I will feel better flying this HAM freq's once I am able to. I'm not concerned if I can ever get my money back out of the new TX module and 149 receiver on 50 MHZ. The recent crashes have cost me over $1,500.00 . $200.00 or so sounds like good insurance and if all goes well I may just move everything over.

Once again, I appreciate all the information and feedback! It was more than I expected..

Thanks,
David (XXXXXX)?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 AM
LSP972

I'm going to do this as well, David. The TX module is $55/$60 bucks, plus how ever many receivers you need. I'll need one 149, one 148, and the rest can get by with 127s. Its going to cost me around six bills total, by the time I buy crystals. I plan to keep one model on 72mhz, so I'll keep one receiver and the tx module. The other receivers will sell pretty quick, I think.

I believe I'll hang onto all the 72mhz crystals I have accumulated, though. You just never know...
Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

I've been using HAM band 50 mhz for more than 10 years now. Never (knowingly) had any problem.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I got my Ham ticket a few months ago after getting a 1/4 scale Extra shot down by a guy with a trainer. My Futaba Cap9 (channel 04) is on the way and I plan on using it for Gas and electrics only. I'll still fly the glow stuff and pylon race on my old radios but I don't want to get the oil on my new baby.

The nay sayers always point out that you can possibly be shot down by a guy in Missouri with a gazillion watt station but I think that is demonstrating an ignorance of RF propagation combined with jealousy that they can't pass even the new simple test. Compare the odds of the infrequent DX oppourtunities on 50Mhz with the gentlemens agreement of RC use on the band with the amount of newbies showing up at the Sepulveda Basin with a new trainer from Hobby People. I can't count the number of times I have had to explain the frequency flag concept to someone with the wrapper still on the supplied frequency numbers of the plane they just picked up for their kid's birthday.

I studied online with the free sample tests and after going 18 passed out of twenty attempts I breezed through the actual test without a problem. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Silent-AV8R

Don't listen to him. The test is WAY hard, you can still get shot down, and there's NO advantage to being on 6-meters. Really. Don't waste your time. Worst thing I've ever done.

Bill - WH6QB[&:]
Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
arno

I don't see a problem with the ham bands. I am currently flying on the 53 mhz band and no problems. I have used the RC ham bands starting in 1975. Some of the problems you stated were caused during th AM days when modulation from strong stations, sometimes commercial broadcast, creeped into the receivers. However new equipment usually takes a lot longer to obtain than that for 72 mhz.

Go for the ham ticket. I have had one since the mid 1950's and enjoyed most of all the hobby had to offer. If you continue to upgrade your class, you'll find all the info helps even with the rc equipment.

Good Luck

Arno - Amatuer Extra Class N6IX
Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
scratchpc7

I just ordered myself a 9C-Super on 50 MHZ (CH 07) It will be nice to have my "own freq at my field; as far as I know, I am the only HAM operator.

I have a JR unlimited 8 on 53.4 but will not trust it with anything but a SPAD (Q-HOR). I do not get good range checks with it and there is a repeater on 53.35 not too far from my field.

Doug
KC0QAC
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 PM
The PIPE

Might that repeater you're worried about be in ST. LOUIS???

Dear FlightTestDummy:

The PIPE Here once more...and MIGHT that six meter repeater on 53.35 MHz you're worried about, which could give your JR Tx trouble on "black & yellow" (53.400 MHz), be the one in ST. LOUIS, with callsign K9CTF ???

Now if you're wondering HOW I knew all that, a visit to http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/states/Missouri.asp , and pressing the "More Repeaters" button at the BOTTOM of that page three times, WILL bring you to the listing I was quoting...as far as I could find, it's the ONLY listed repeater there ON 53.35 MHz !!!

The Artsci Publications Ham repeater site listings are GREAT for finding those possible TROUBLEMAKER six meter repeaters you'd have to avoid...check it out for yourself, and you'll see what I mean!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:25 PM
scratchpc7

To The PIPE,
I was mistaken when I wrote down the repeater frequency. The one that I am concerned with is a repeater in Kansas City area on 53.33. I fly on the north side on KC. Needless to say, I don't trust that frequency for much. It is in a JR Unlimited 8 and I also have a module on CH29, which is where I do most of my flying. I use it on a SPAD Q-HOR, partly because it does not matter, and I keep it in close and have never had a problem with the short range. I would never put in on a speed plane though. [sm=thumbdown.gif]

I just bought my 9C on 50.940 (CH 07) so I don't know how that will be, but I am guessing it will not be a problem. Now to get it into my Extra, and later my PC7 (Once it is finished)

Doug
KC0QAC
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
The PIPE

Yep, found THAT one, too-and ANOTHER one in your area, that COULD cause problems!

Dear FlightTestDummy:

The PIPE Here yet again...and on the second page of repeaters at the Artsci Publications link I gave you in my previous message, "sure enough", there it was...the "troubling" 53.33 MHz repeater you were RIGHT to be concerned about...! In fact, "in MY backyard" is ANOTHER repeater on the SAME frequency as the one you're worried about...it's in Quincy, MA, aboard the preserved USS Salem heavy cruiser Navy ship (which was originally BUILT in the disused Fore River shipyards there), at http://www.qsl.net/k1usn/ !!!!

That Artsci Publications online repeater listing IS a valuable one...and I DID just find ANOTHER Ham repeater in the KC area from their listing, that's on both 52.81 [output] AND 51.11 MHz[input]...now, I don't know WHICH of OUR 50.8-51 MHz channels THAT one, with callsign "K0HAM", MIGHT cause you problems on "our" RC Ham band (even though it is NOT "really ours" exclusively) in the future...but I just found it, so you'd know about that one, too...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I just got a 9C on channel 04 and I'm very pleased. I range checked it with a DA 50 gas engine running and antenna down. I had control for over 500 feet with a PCM receiver and am very impressed.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:07 AM
LSP972

So, what's the story with these repeaters? They can just pop up out of nowhere, so to speak?

There's nothing anywhere close to me on six meters (thanks for that link, Pipe), but there's a big microwave array not far from my field that is a magnet for every radio system in the public and private sector around here, since its on high ground and in a somewhat remote location. Everybody wants to put their antennas on it

My luck would see a 50 mhz repeater go up on it right after I got my ticket...