Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

World Engines Expert

Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 PM
m00se

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Engines Expert

I have a 1988 vintage World Engines Expert 7ch radio. The radio was last used about 16 years ago in a EZ Dago Red that had an unpleasant encounter with Terra Firma when the Rx battery died mid-air. Apparently it had a dead cell. I don't trust any of the original airborne gear, but the Tx should need only batteries to be functional again. I plan on using the radio with a park flyer, so I won't be using the original receiver or servos.

My questions is- does anyone know whether this radio is positive- or negative-shift? I found other threads here that indicate the silver and black Experts were made by HiTec. If that's true then I would assume negative shift. Also- what crystals will work with the Expert?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Waco Driver

Default RE: World Engines Expert

World Expert radios are negative shift. The FCC in your country does not condone changing t/x crystals without retuning. Changing the R/F module was the recommended method of changing frequency on this radio.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 AM
m00se

Thanks for the info. The FCC is a real PITA sometimes, and they like to pass legislation that they cannot possibly enforce. GMRS frequency licensing regulations are a perfect example.

Having said that, I'll probably stick to the original frequency. If I need to change it, though, it will have to be by switching the crystal since finding Tx modules for this beast will be next to impossible.

Maybe the FCC needs to visit an R/C car track on any given race night. They would have a whole new source of revenue from fines for R/C car drivers changing thier crystals.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Also keep in mind that if you are near a RC field you may make trouble with the guys flying there. Your radio is not narrow banded and could bleed all over the place. Dennis
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
m00se

The Expert radios are supposed to be 1991 compliant and narrow band.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:55 AM
will

I believe the law only pertains to 72 mHz. Users of 27 mHz and 75 mHz systems are allowed to change Tx crystals.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:21 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

Users of 75 mhz radios ARE NOT allowed to change transmitter crystals! I'm not sure about 27mhz,But on 75 mhz you are operating under the same statute as 72mhz,and the same rules apply.The question here seems to be relating to an FM transmitter,and FM transmitters are inherently "Narrow Band"!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:16 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: m00se

Thanks for the info. The FCC is a real PITA sometimes, and they like to pass legislation that they cannot possibly enforce. GMRS frequency licensing regulations are a perfect example.

Having said that, I'll probably stick to the original frequency. If I need to change it, though, it will have to be by switching the crystal since finding Tx modules for this beast will be next to impossible.

Maybe the FCC needs to visit an R/C car track on any given race night. They would have a whole new source of revenue from fines for R/C car drivers changing thier crystals.
What the RC car people are doing is illegal and they know it. One day they may cause an accident and lose their band.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have a World Engines Expert (silver and black) - I still fly it, it is approved as being gold stickered. It uses a negative shift receiver. I also fly JR, which is positive shift, so what I choose to do is to buy a "shift selectable" receiver such as the Hitec Universal Supreme. This is a long range receiver and can change the "shift" to either positive or negative by just repositioning a plug (jumper).

By the way, it is usually more cost effective to by the Hitec "flight pack" which includes servos, switch harness and receiver for about the same price as the 4 servos.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 02-07-2005, 10:19 AM
m00se

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

What the RC car people are doing is illegal and they know it. One day they may cause an accident and lose their band.
Not trying to pick a fight with you, but... who knows it? The FCC or the car people? I was a "car people" a few years ago and I regularly changed my crystals at the track. Crystals are readily available off the shelf at hobby stores. I had no idea that I was breaking any law by changing my crystals. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but realistically how many people bother to read a bunch of technical FCC papers before buying a set of crystals so they can fly or drive with their buddy? Especially when the crystals are readily available and no one- at the track or in the hobby store- ever hints at the legality of changing crystals.

My take on this is that the FCC only cares on paper or only when something bad actually happens when someone is using a changed crystal. They simply don't have the manpower to police the unlicensed bands. Case in point: Using a spectrum analyzer, I was able to prove that an ISP who was providing wireless internet service was above the legal limit in ERP for the ISM band (2.4 Ghz) and interfering with the service I was running. I called the FCC to complain. They told me, and I quote, "...take them to civil court." They would not help me in any way.

If the FCC wishes to enforce their regualtions they need to find some way to discourage Tx crystal changes other than paper threats. Tax individual Tx crystals so that they are more expensive than a module.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:26 AM
m00se

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have a World Engines Expert (silver and black) - I still fly it, it is approved as being gold stickered. It uses a negative shift receiver. I also fly JR, which is positive shift, so what I choose to do is to buy a "shift selectable" receiver such as the Hitec Universal Supreme. This is a long range receiver and can change the "shift" to either positive or negative by just repositioning a plug (jumper).

By the way, it is usually more cost effective to by the Hitec "flight pack" which includes servos, switch harness and receiver for about the same price as the 4 servos.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller

Thanks for the post, Wayne. I honestly don't know if my Expert Tx still works or not. I recall that one of the knobs on top was stuck last time I looked at it. If I do use it I will probably buy a GWS flight pack from my LHS. The original receiver and servos probably weigh more than the GWS PT-17 they would be giong into... *if* I could make them fit
Old 02-07-2005, 11:00 AM
dirtybird

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but... who knows it? The FCC or the car people? I was a "car people" a few years ago and I regularly changed my crystals at the track. Crystals are readily available off the shelf at hobby stores. I had no idea that I was breaking any law by changing my crystals. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but realistically how many people bother to read a bunch of technical FCC papers before buying a set of crystals so they can fly or drive with their buddy? Especially when the crystals are readily available and no one- at the track or in the hobby store- ever hints at the legality of changing crystals.

My take on this is that the FCC only cares on paper or only when something bad actually happens when someone is using a changed crystal. They simply don't have the manpower to police the unlicensed bands. Case in point: Using a spectrum analyzer, I was able to prove that an ISP who was providing wireless internet service was above the legal limit in ERP for the ISM band (2.4 Ghz) and interfering with the service I was running. I called the FCC to complain. They told me, and I quote, "...take them to civil court." They would not help me in any way.

If the FCC wishes to enforce their regualtions they need to find some way to discourage Tx crystal changes other than paper threats. Tax individual Tx crystals so that they are more expensive than a module.
You are right. The FCC will not enforce their regulations. The insurance companies will, though, if you have an accident.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:50 PM
m00se

DirtyBird-

I just noticed you're from Mesa. We're neighbors... kind of

Since we're on the subject, what is the technical downside to changing the crystal as opposed to changing the entire Tx RF module?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:54 PM
dyna_mo

2 issues I dont understand

1) They say you are not supposed to change crystals however if you but a 72 Mhz receiver from Tower you buy the crystals seprate

2) Ama make a big stink about "safty" but it is not illegal to fly with an older style "wide band" receiver. I would guess you would be more likely to have interfence with a " wide band " receiver than a crystal change.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:43 PM
m00se

ORIGINAL: dyna_mo

2 issues I dont understand

1) They say you are not supposed to change crystals however if you but a 72 Mhz receiver from Tower you buy the crystals seprate

2) Ama make a big stink about "safty" but it is not illegal to fly with an older style "wide band" receiver. I would guess you would be more likely to have interfence with a " wide band " receiver than a crystal change.

You are not allowed to change TX crystals. RX crystals can be changed. The issue is keeping the transmitter "tight".

This thread turned out to be wated keystrokes. Somewhere along the line the old World Engines Expert vanished. Darn. I'm replacing it with an Airtronics VG6000.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
multicasting

How do you know if your Expert Radio is 1991 compliant? I was just given one, and it has no gold sticker on the back.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:44 PM
dirtybird

DirtyBird-

I just noticed you're from Mesa. We're neighbors... kind of

Since we're on the subject, what is the technical downside to changing the crystal as opposed to changing the entire Tx RF module?
Sorry I just noticed this post.
The down side would be loss of signal due to a detuned radio.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 PM
dirtybird

As noted above, all WE Expert radios were narrow band.
I think I read in some AMA publication that no FM transmitters were made that were wide band.
Anyone know this for sure?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
m00se

Sorry I just noticed this post.
The down side would be loss of signal due to a detuned radio.

This must be the thread that would not die! Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:43 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

I am no "expert" about Expert.

But as for other brands I am more familiar with...

FM is NOT all narrow band. Before the late 80's lots of FM radios were produced that were "wide".

The "wide-band" transmitters will shoot down people on adjacent frequencies. That is why they are no longer FCC compliant. Most wide band transmitters could be made narrow with small modifications, a new crystal, and retuing.

The "wide-band" receivers are FCC OK, but are not safe because adjacent channels will interfere with them. They are generally a lost cause....

I would advise sending the gear into Tony Stillman (Radio South) or someone else qualified to make the stuff right again.

Or buy a new radio. A good newer radio would likely be cheaper and cause you less grief.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

I just looked at a 1988 RCM magazine and an ad for EXPERT radio system. The ad said the TX and RX were all 1991 compliant and gold stickers. That makes the EXPERT system 3 years ahead of the 91 rule.........FM and dual conversion cystals..........
Old 04-16-2020, 02:14 PM
BIPSTER
My Feedback: (16)

Default Expert 7 channel

That's good news.. I own one and still love flying vintage rc radios and sailplanes .
Originally Posted by speedster 1919
I just looked at a 1988 RCM magazine and an ad for EXPERT radio system. The ad said the TX and RX were all 1991 compliant and gold stickers. That makes the EXPERT system 3 years ahead of the 91 rule.........FM and dual conversion cystals..........
Expe