Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1st radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
seasterling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st radio advice

After reading the article at Sport Aviator I am thinking about the Hanger 9 Arrow for my first plane. The RTF comes with a JR Quattro. There is also an ARF model available. I am interested in Aerobatics. Should I learn with the Quattro and if everything is going well move up to a 9 channel later, or would something like the 6102 or 7c with the ARF be a good idea. I'm also considering a copy of AFPD or Reflex. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: 1st radio advice

If you are planning to stay in the hobby and want to do aerobatics it is maybe a good idea to get a computer radio. When I started out years ago I did not think it was necessary to get a higher end radio to start with. After 2 years I eventually did get one. By that time I already had 3 single use transmitters. Looking back, I would have saved quite a bit if I had just bitten the bullet and spent more money on a compter radio. If you can afford it, get a computer radio.

I would recommend at least a radio with 7 channels and 4 model memory. There are quite a few really good products out there, so shop around. The life expectancy of a radio is pretty good if the product is good AND you take care of it. I have computer radios that are over 10 years old and are still in tip-top shape. I take care of them and have them serviced every 2 years.

I have JR, Futaba and Hitec transmitters. 2 JR PCM10's, 1 Futaba 9CAP, 1 Futaba 9ZAP WC2, 1 Futaba 6EXA and 1 Hitec Prism 7. Each has a different use for me. The Hitec and Futaba 6EXA I use for electrics and soaring. The others I use for large scale aerobatics.

Look around before buying because, buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Safe flying!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:52 AM
seasterling

Yeah that is why I am looking for advice. I don't want to spend too much until I know I am really hooked. After looking around the forums it seems that those with a 6-7 channel radio trying to setup a plane for aerobatics are saying, "I should have bought the 9 channel". Would something like the 6102 or 7c really offer that much more than just expo and dual rates for an aerobatic plane? If so, what would that be? Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The higher end radio's like JR 8103 or 9303 offer more mixes that are used in the more complex planes. I could write page after page on the mixes and until you have been in the hobby for while it would'nt mean much to you. I say buy the plane with the 4 channel, learn the fly.After a while you will know in what direction you want to go in this hobby, and can select a radio system that fits your needs. I always tell my customers to buy the best radio the can afford, so that 2 years later you'r not wishing you had something better. Dennis