Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronic (old style conn) servos to HiTec RX ?

Old 02-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Bolter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronic (old style conn) servos to HiTec RX ?

My old style Airtronics receiver has gone bust and I would like to use a Hi Tec receiver with the Airtronics servos that are in the plane. Is this possible? Looks like I might have to switch leads in the connectors. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Bolter
Old 02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Airtronic (old style conn) servos to HiTec RX ?

Yes, you can use these servos with this receiver. You will have to acquire the right connectors. virtually every servo made in the last 20 years will work if you have the right connector. There are three wires: generally one is red and one is black (or maybe brown). These are positive and negative, respectively. The third wire is for the signal and it is generally orange or some other color. Cut off your old connectors and solder on the new connectors matching up these colors.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:17 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

You can also go to MPI Maxx and get adapters. I have a lot of the old-style servos and am getting an order ready for them. This will make your servos the same as the new "Z" connectors Airtronics now uses that are fully compatible with the Hitec. The adapters are number 2558 Air to Hitec and cost $4.00 each.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Emmitt

On the old style airtronics connectors the pos and neg wires are different than the other brands. That is why they now have the Z connectors. Look at www.fatlion.com and follow the links to sailplanes to radio to servo wiring for alot of good info of the different connectors.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:14 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DMcQuinn has given you good info. The Hitec S, JR, Airtronics Z And Futaba F all use center pin positive However the old style Airtronics uses positive on the #3 pin with centerpin negative. So to use servos with these plugs you need to reverse the positive with the centerpin which is the negative. The old style plugs are identified by three splines and the black color. The three wires are all black but the positve (on the #3 pin) has a white stripe.

There are a number of ways to approach the problem. First the easy expensive way is to follow the link above for the adapters. My preferance is not to use these as I just don,t like having extra unneccessary plugs in the circuit.

Next is with those old style plugs the metal pins themselves are removable by inserting a pin in the little window on the side of the plug. You would remove the #3 positive pin and the center Negative pin then reinsert in with the positive in the center. Next you would have to do a little surgery with a blade to remove the three splines for a good fit. This method is a little tricky and for that reason I normally suggest the last method:

Just cut the center lead and the positive (remember the white stripe) reverse, solder and shrinkwrap.

In regards to plugging a servo plug in backwards this results in an inoperative servo but will not damage a servo or receiver, just reverse. However be aware if you plug an old style Airtronic switch harness into a Futaba J, hitec S, JR or Airtronic Z Rx without reversing the lead to a centerpin positve then you will damage The Rx.

John

Almost forgot You can also order your new hitec Rx for use with the old syle Airtronics components. The problem here is that means that you are just moving the issue further down the line, Eventually you need to upgrade you Rx's to the current system if you are going to stay in sport/hobby.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Bolter

Best thing about the Internet, a world of resources at your fingertips! Thanks all for your replies and help, now I can make an informed decison.

Cheers,
Bolter