Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GWS servos, anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS servos, anyone use them?

I have (4) S03TXF 2bb servos that I bought new for $70 total (0.21s/69oz @ 4.8v, 0.17/86 @ 6.0v) and I figured for the price they were well worth a 'test'. I know there are good servos for $70+ each but being a poor man I'm always open to new things and I was wondering if anyone has had any expereince with these, or with any GWS larger servos in general? Just want to subside the thoughts that a $15 servo is going to cost me a plane. I've used GWS stuff in micro's before with good results, but never in anything larger.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:41 PM
AJF 2

It all depends on your application. There are an excellent value if you use 6V--otherwise they are a bit slow. They center well and last for a while. I have used their high end corless, low profile aliron, even all the way down to the 4 for $45 models and depending on the plane, found them to work fine. Would I put them in a 33% Extra or the like? Do I really have to answer?
Old 09-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Joe B.

Hmmm. These will be going in a Sig Cap 231EX (73" wingspan). 2 on elevator and 2 on aileron. I'll be using something else for rudder. Well, I guess I'm a guinnea pig here
Old 09-12-2002, 11:53 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could live with that--(again with a 6V batt) You should be OK--It is not like it's gonna weigh 22 lbs
Old 09-13-2002, 03:16 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have three in a Goldberg Chipmunk, all work well on 4.8 volts. They may be slightly slower than the Futabas but I can't tell the difference in flight.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:26 PM
AJF 2

Rodney, I agree. I have them in a pattern plane and in flight it is very hard to tell the difference. In a large Cub or like my 1/4 scale BUSA Pup, I think a slow servo even helps with realistic flight. Most people will not admit it, but I don't think it affects 80% of the people who fly. However as I said, a 5 cell pack makes them equal to the others at a small price.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

I have two of the 100 oz. standard size GWS servos pushing the Rudded and Elevator in an Ultra Stick 120.

THEY ARE SLLLOOOOWWWWW, that's VERY SLOW. (nearly 1 second traversal at 4.7v)

I'll have to give them a go at 6v to see how much that helps. On a plane like this, fast elevator response is important so I'm a bit dissapointed. I'm going to try and take advantage of the torque and install a longer servo arm to speed up elevator response mechanically.

The biggest problem has been landing on windy days. The slow elevator is a real problem when you need to immediately correct for a gust when you are in the middle of your flare.

I've decided I don't need that much torque and am better off with the HS 525BB.

Jason
Old 09-13-2002, 09:17 PM
Joe B.

These are rating at .21-seconds at 4.8v and .17sec at 6.0v.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Rating vs. reality. I have 3 of these servos and they all perform about the same. I have Futaba S-148s in the same plane on the airelerons and flaps. These are also rated at .2 seconds and they do transition that fast.

Several other pilots at the field who were watching me ready the US 1.20 for it's first flight noted how slow the rudder and elevator were, so it's not my imagination.

Jason
Old 09-27-2002, 02:26 AM
miastorm

I've used a flock of those GWS servos. Never had an issue with them. The 100oz. are .33 in speed so I play the ratio game and place the linkage where it will make a difference.
Some planes look very natural flying in a slower mode. The snap crackle and pop flights have a place in life but so does the nice slow roll and really round loop among other maneuvers.

Dollar for dollar you cant go wrong with them servos. Now if you have deep pockets your in another department which all of us can't fit into.

One thats carrying them at this time and for the last 2 seasons is my Extra 230 by Ace with a Brison 4.2 pulling the 21 lbs. The quality is there its the price that scares some folks away.
Two on a elevator- two on ailerons one 100oz. on rudder (who needs it) and if giving my engine a bit more gas will break something then I'm atta there!

Not one of these servos failing, will bring you down. Yes they are a bit slow but .33 to .20 is not what I would flip about.

You have them, enjoy them. We are not alone in using these GWS servos. You are not an experiment by no stretch of the imagination.