Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Finding the torque you need

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 05:18 AM
Nex
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding the torque you need

Building a new plane, I would like to fill it with good equipment. I've been looking at some servos that are quite a bit faster than my older ones. (.19 as opposed to .24) I also found some faster ones at .16 and they have 91oz of torque and of course, are a bit more expensive.

What I don't understand is, how are you supposed to be able to judge how much torque you need. I mean, you could always load up on some sweet high end digitals that have like 9-tons of torque, but its al wasted money from that point. And I wouldn't expect someone to buy mini servos with 10oz of torque for their 120-sized pattern ship. How can you tell when you've got an adequate amount of torque?

Im working on the GP Giles 202 kit (.46 size) and will be powering it with a Saito 100 and 15x6 prop.

Just wanting to get these servos at a reasonable price while keeping my control surfaces stable.

Thanks for any info
Old 09-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Nix.

In giant scale servo strength and gears are all important and would recommend spending the $$. However, in standard size planes(70" and less) Standard servos have worked great for years and years and years. 96oz would be a complete waste of $$ for this particular plane. The benefit would be if you intended on building something bigger and wanted to use the servos in it also. Consider that pattern planes 10 years ago didn't use digital, metal gears, or heavy strength servos because they weren't around.

Ed
Old 09-11-2002, 08:31 AM
Nex

Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Tobias Schlegl

Hi Nex!

There is an online calculator for servo torques at
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm

hth, Tobi
Old 09-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Nex

Oh sweet! That calculator helps alot. I just hope the guy really knows what hes talking about

Thanks for the link