Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 14MZ user's your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 14MZ user's your thoughts

Hello..... picking up my new 14MZ Futaba tomorrow, anyone out there have one already....if so what are do you think about the radio? Looking for any & all input good bad and the ugly.
Lee
Old 03-03-2005, 11:24 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default RE: New 14MZ user's your thoughts

Anybody named Lee has got to be okay! I made a few comments in the other 14MZ post (the TowerHobbies price thread). I love the thing. It's pretty easy to use and is a lot of fun. You will be glad you got it.

Lee
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 PM
mc3854
My Feedback: (6)

I received mine yesterday! Already got my seven planes and 1 helicopter in it. Will try it out tomorrow! It's very easy to program! I read the instructions one time to verify how to charge the battery and turn on and off. It's like a computer, takes a little time to start up and shut down. I did get the blue screen twice in all my programming! Reset button corrected each time. Radio continued to transmit to flight pack like normal. Each time it did this it was during rapid programming. Meaning, I as inputing rapidly!

The only negative I see so far is that it doesn't come with a twelve volt charger!!!! Comes with 120 vac and you have to remove the battery to use it! When you do,you lose the date and time in the transmitter! The 12 volt charger is "an Option" and you can charge the battery with it in the transmitter! For $2200 you would think you would get both chargers!

One note! Futaba instructions tell you to use their flashcard only! 32meg card comes with it! I am using a 256meg card made by Sandisk and it works perfectly! I am not recommending anybody go against the instructions, just telling you this is working for me! The battery also looks suspiciously like a Sony digital camera battery!! I am going to investigate this later!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 PM
okw

I did get the blue screen twice in all my programming! Reset button corrected each time.
And all this time I've only been kidding about the BSoD!!

I'd have to agree about the 12V charger ... especially if you're going to loose the date and time every time you charge!

You guys will have to give us a report in a few months after you've had time to give it a workout.

Keith
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Silver182

Well, I finally got home.... what a busy work week for sure.... picked up my 14MZ today!!! )

First impressions are that the metal carrying case was definitely not designed for carrying the transmitter. Oh yes it will carry the transmitter and probably protect it fairly well.... but the way the transmitter has to stand up and doesn't have a form fit location smells of after thought. Futaba packs it with some foam blocks which really makes the combo a make shift match at best, and a really bad show at worst. I'll call it The lunch box... it appears to have been a total after thought..... and possibly a case designed for something else altogether. I will probably use one of my other transmitter cases....
and never take this box to the field(

Second impression is that I agree totally with mc3854 for the money the transmitter battery charger should either be 12volt / 120volt switchable, or better yet Futaba should have included a second 12volt field battery charger. Plenty of room in the lunch box to include another charger during shipping, and I'm sure it wouldn't have effected the profit margin much! (

Third impression Futaba included a card board insert inside the lunch box which should have at least been filled with servos. That is how it is designed..... it looks like someone just removed the servos before shipping! Maybe that is a special feature just for us here in the good old USA! :/

More impressions later.... I'm hoping the really important things about any radio like R/F link strength, programing ease, and enough channels for almost anything.... wipe out my first negative impressions upon opening up the metal carrying case. All I've done with the transmitter is fondle it, (it's look and feel is impressive) and now the transmitter pack is charging.

The batteries are Lithium Ion type.... the manual includes almost a full page warning about charging the batteries. It appears they want us to charge the batteries always in a safe and contained environment.. if nothing else they could use this as an excuse for not including the 12Volt field charger. (

More later I call em like I see um,
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 AM
RCAddiction

I've removed and replaced my battery several times without losing the time or date.

I strongly prefer the vertical standup style metal case, but I agree they did screw up on the foam inserts. These need to be tweaked a bit. I have the similar Futaba Championship case that I've been using for my 9C's for a couple of years for 2 radios at a time. I modified my 14MZ case by using thinner black foam for the front and 3 of the included pieces standing up in the rear. All held in place by heavy duty velcro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96506.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	238245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24858.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	238246  
Old 03-05-2005, 12:56 AM
RCAddiction

more photos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49375.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	238247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70369.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	238248  
Old 03-05-2005, 02:24 AM
RCAddiction

I just set up the 14MZ with a Polk Seeker Micro 6, which is a synthesized micro dual conversion RX that I use in one of my foamies. There had been some comment that the synth 14MZ might not work with the Polk synth RX. It seems to work just fine in my shop. Will try to range check and then fly it tomorrow, weather permitting.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:34 PM
rjpilot
My Feedback: (5)

I have removed the battery in my 14MZ a couple of times also to charge it, and I have not lost the time on mine.
Did call my dealer to see about the 12V charger, and it is a June delivery at $150.00.That sounds quite high for a lithum charger at 12V.
Am planning on flying my Hype 3D with it tomorrow if the weather is OK.
Ron
Old 03-05-2005, 07:31 PM
mc3854

Well after one day of using the 14 mz, all is well! Worked perfectly!

I did change my 1/3 Extra 330 to the new G3 receiver. Very easy to do! Took out three Jr matchboxes! Plugged servos right into receiver! Worked perfectly! Took about 45minutes! I discovered you can set up one aileron on one channel, go to the function screen and name the next aileron channel the same and it copies it perfectly!

This system uses different channels on the receiver for the functions! You have to get use to that! Channel one is not aileron like previous Futaba equipment. The screen shows you all this, just have to look!

By the way, the Sony digital camera battery is the exact same thing as the battery in this thing. Picked up one today! Some decals are even the same! 2200 mah! I don't know how much these will cost from Futaba but this was $60!!!! If you change the batteries quickly the time and date is not lost!!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
mc3854

rjpilot

Since I work on electronics part time, I modified the charger that came with the 14 mz so I can charge the battery with the Sirius Lithium Ion charger or plug it into 120vac! You mentioned the 12 volt charger would be 150.00 so I am glad i did! With the extra battery its easy enough to keep the extra charged when needed.

You are right about the date and time! I was wrong! It is not lost when you remove the battery!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I got mine on Wednesday , the case does seem like an after thought. They even give you a small instruction sheet on how to position the TX in the case so no damage will occur. Other than the case and the fact that you need to buy another charger for field charging I am very pleased with the 14MZ. I love the look and feel . I am looking forward to getting all my planes programmed and flying .
Old 03-06-2005, 02:18 AM
storklappe

A few thoughts on my new 14MZ. First, I agree with the comments on the case -- for the cost of the radio, the case should not fit like an after-thought. Second, I noticed that when I reverse a servo (you must also reverse the trim direction) the trim indicators on the "main" screen move opposite of the direction you move the trim.

My final issue may cause me to return the radio to Tower. When I talked to Frank Knoll at the AMA show in Ontario, I told him I was concerned about buying the radio before it had some time on the market. Specifically, I told him I was concerned that when they had software changes, I didn't want to have to send the radio in for the updates. HERE'S THE PUNCHLINE Frank said, "You won't have to send in the radio, you will download the changes from your computer to the radio using the USB port ... no requirement to send it in." After reading the manual, I noticed that it indicated the USB port was for "factory use only." I called Futaba and they confirmed the verbage in the manual. Frank also indicated that there would be customer service reps that could answer questions on programming the 14, but the guys I spoke with received their 14 the same day I did and they have had zero training!

I feel very misled by the info I was given at the AMA show!

Old 03-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mc3854
By the way, the Sony digital camera battery is the exact same thing as the battery in this thing. Picked up one today! Some decals are even the same! 2200 mah! I don't know how much these will cost from Futaba but this was $60!!!! If you change the batteries quickly the time and date is not lost!!
You are going to hate yourself. The Tower price on the battery will be $79.99. But if you go to amazon.com you can get the SOny pack for $39 with no tax and free delivery (if you can wait 5 days to get it). I have 2 coming!!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: storklappe

A few thoughts on my new 14MZ. First, I agree with the comments on the case -- for the cost of the radio, the case should not fit like an after-thought. Second, I noticed that when I reverse a servo (you must also reverse the trim direction) the trim indicators on the "main" screen move opposite of the direction you move the trim.
You used the Hardware Reverse feature in the system menu and NOT the servo reverse menu on the linkage menu. If you use the actual servo reverse menu, your trim will automatically reverse with the servo.

The Hardware reverse feature is something that I don't understand well, but the manual clearly states to use servo reverse and not this menu to reverse servo motion.

My final issue may cause me to return the radio to Tower. When I talked to Frank Knoll at the AMA show in Ontario, I told him I was concerned about buying the radio before it had some time on the market. Specifically, I told him I was concerned that when they had software changes, I didn't want to have to send the radio in for the updates. HERE'S THE PUNCHLINE -Frank said, "You won't have to send in the radio, you will download the changes from your computer to the radio using the USB port ... no requirement to send it in." After reading the manual, I noticed that it indicated the USB port was for "factory use only." I called Futaba and they confirmed the verbage in the manual.
For now this is the case. I suspect that this feature will be enabled in the future. I suspect that it will be like updating firmware on a digital camera. You copy a file from a website. Then download that onto the CF card and you are good to go. The USB port may not even be needed. I sincerely doubt that Hobbico wants to have every radio sent back any time there is a firmware update. Assuming that there are any needed.

Frank also indicated that there would be customer service reps that could answer questions on programming the 14, but the guys I spoke with received their 14 the same day I did and they have had zero training!

I feel very misled by the info I was given at the AMA show!
Don't confuse customer service folks, located in Illinois, with field reps. Neither Futaba or JR provides those folks with formal training, etc. That said, despite getting the radio at the same time as the public, I think many will be able to help out.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mc3854
The battery also looks suspiciously like a Sony digital camera battery!! I am going to investigate this later!
Sony NP-F570. $39 at amazon.com with free shipping if you can wait a few days to get it. Tower will sell these for $80 once they get them in stock.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:22 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Can someone with a 14MZ answer a question for me please?

Robbe is bringing out its version of the 14MZ in a Robbe case (Robbe radios are built by Futaba). The Robbe FX-40 has rotary trims, not digital trims. It's the first time I have heard of rotary trims being used and they sound like a really good idea. Does the 14MZ have rotary trims or is it Robbe's own idea?

Harry
Old 03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MC3854,

Depending upon what battery it is, Sony makes some handy little wall chargers with folding plugs that cost about $40. One of my Sony still cameras and Sony camcorder use the same battery. The Info-Lithium batteries are so expensive because they give you real-time (and accurate) information, on the camera display, about how much useful time remains on the battery.

Post a photo of the 14MZ's battery, and the model # of the Sony camera battery you purchased. If they are compatible with this little charger I've got, I'll drag the stuff out and get a pic for you.

Don't have time now... gotta load the Ultimate and go fly!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Airwurthy

Is there any reason we could not use the charge jack in the back of the TX with a Triton charger? I'm confused, why do we have to buy a Futaba charger if the Triton will do lithiums? Someone please explain it to this moron.
Thanx,
Skipp
Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 PM
mc3854

If the receptacle on the back of the transmitter goes "STRAIGHT" to the battery you could do that! If it goes to some other circuitry to make it propriatery (I think that is spelled right) it may not work and may damage something. The type of plug you would need is a little odd too!

I modified the charger itself so I could plug my Sirius Li-Ion charger into it or use the 120 vac as usual!

The main reason I was concerned about removing the battery every time to charge it was how long before the battery connections inside the transmitter get to where they don't make good contact????? Murphys law would have it happen while I was flying!!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Dre

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First Impressions (after a few days of study). A couple of my observations have already been addressed.......

Positives:

1.) My interest in this radio was mainly due to the synthesized frequency feature (i.e., not having to open the plane to change the frequency). I put a premium on this feature as being able to fly on a channel that is not being used at the field eliminates the possibility of losing an airplane due to accidental turn-on.

2.) The touch-screen software interface is very nice. It is easier and more intuitive to use than the 9ZAP key pad, which I thought was quite good. 9ZAP owners should be able to program the 14MZ without the instruction manual.

3.) Finally(!), the relationship between the stick and control output (i.e., expo) can be described by a user input function, even a spline. The 14MZ does Expo, VTR (brought back from the 9V days, which I though was the way to go), and point-by-point input, and variants of this. Aside: JR10sx has VTR.

4.) Mixing can be accomplished the same as for "expo," permitting linear (standard to date) and nonlinear mixing options. There are also "virtual channels," which I interpret to be used for complex mixing schemes (i.e., the mix a real control to another real control through the virtual channel, which has its own functionality). All this is clever, but for me if tricky mixing is needed to make an airplane fly right, I get another design.

5.) The priority of flight conditions can be set, which was a problem on the 9ZAP, which prioritized on condition number. Stick-triggered condition switching is now more sophisticated, in that the same trigger can be applied to both sides of the stick, and the trigger point can be a range on the stick movement (e.g., between 60-80% elevator throw).

6.) A servo matching feature is provided (i.e., "Match-Box").

Aside from the above features, at least from the perspective of pattern use (my interest), feature-wise the radio is about the same as the 9ZAP.

Negatives:

1.) Stick tension at its maximum setting is less than some folks may desire. The sticks feel a little different (better) than the stock 9ZAP tension at max, and may be useable for us heavy-handed types who have changed the springs in the 9ZAP. It is not obvious how to open the radio to change the springs if so desired (sort of like car dashboard non-obvious), or what would be involved to change the springs. Couldn't Futaba have created a wider range of tension adjustment since about half the pattern folks use heavier springs than those supplied by the manufacturers?? To me this is a big oversight.

2.) The Tx battery (Li-Ion) is made specifically (shape and connector) for the 14MZ, so if you need a replacement, you get it from Futaba. The charger supplied requires the battery to be removed from the radio and placed in the charger (110V). There is an optional (i.e., not supplied) charger that can charge the battery while in the TX. The instructions warn against charging with any other charger than a Futaba charger. Not sure if the battery is unique such that it requires a special (i.e., Futaba) charger, or this simply reflects product liability concerns on the part of Futaba. Probably the latter. I cannot really imagine our normal chargers for Li-Ion would not work.

3.) I am fairly certain there is no way to transfer model data from a 9ZAP to a 14MZ. They can be connected for trainer purposes with an optional square (MZ) to DIN (9ZAP) cable, but there is no mention of backward compatible data transfer via cable, nor is CamPAC supported.

Factoids:

1.) Tx current draw is reported to be up to 1 Amp with the screen back-light active.

2.) Much to the satisfaction of the Windows critics, I am sure, there is the equivalent of a "re-boot" switch on the radio in case Windows goes into lock-up. The instruction manual says, the "RC" part of your radio will still function should this happen. I speculate the need for a re-boot is unlikely as a lock-up would be caused by punching software keys and trying to turn the radio off at the same time.

3.) Tx is significantly lighter than the 9ZAP; not all of this being due to the use of a Li-I Tx battery. It is well balanced, and feels a little different (better) in the hand than a 9ZAP--may be a little front-heavy.

4.) Tx antenna stores in the case bottom. I think the little door that hides it might be easy to break-off. The antenna installs by a push and half-turn type mechanism as opposed to screwing it in (clever and more robust).

5.) The instruction manual provided is a work in progress, with the final version to be supplied at some later date. It is more than adequate as is.

6.) Provided your PC supports CF media cards, model picture uploading is super simple (CF card provided). Aside, Futaba says to use only their CF card. I cannot imagine they are having cards made special for the 14MZ, and so would presume other CF cards might work.

7.) Tx to Rx frequency switching is accomplished by a secondary low range (distance) frequency transmission. Rx's are numbered and the Rx number must be supplied to the Tx. Presumably this "coding" is to keep from changing the frequency of a fellow 14MZ user. I interpret that the Rx code is associated with a particular Tx frequency, as the secondary frequency listed for the Tx is given as a range. Note: Two Rx's can be used at simultaneously (and switched at switched simultaneously).

8.) If the radio has not been turned on in more than 4-hours, it takes up to 30 seconds to "boot-up." If it has been less than 4 hours since last turn-on, it "boots" in a few seconds.....somewhat like a PC sleep mode.

9.) Tried-out the sound programming in terms of setting-up voice prompts to learn, for example, a new pattern. A "sequence" can be assigned the same switch, so you just hit the switch between maneuvers to get the next prompt (I used the snap switch). The "sound-bite" cannot be more than 3-seconds long. You would be surprised at how short 3-seconds is in terms of describing some of the F3A maneuvers!

Given that we have snow on the ground where I live, it will be a while until I can fly it in a precision airplane to see if one can tell any "resolution" difference between it and the 9ZAP.

Summary:

The 14MZ is a very nice piece of equipment. It far exceeds anything other manufacturers have available at this point due in large part (I speculate) to Futaba being able to leverage its experience and R&D from its other (primary) businesses. Aside: Somewhere it was reported Futaba spent $2MM to develop the 14MZ.

Regards,

Andre'
Old 03-06-2005, 10:58 PM
RCAddiction

Thanks, André. I have to concur with your observations. I got the chance to fly it last night (indoors) and today (outdoors, it was 60F in Chicago today!). I am very impressed at the comfort. FYI, I have tried a standard 64mb CF card and it works just fine.

QUESTION
it comes with 3 position switches where I would have dual rates applied, ie, switches SA, SB, SD. I cannot figure out how to do triple rates on those switches. Is it possible to do, or do I need do flight conditions? If they are not used for triple rates, what do you guys use these 3 position switches for?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

I just set up the 14MZ with a Polk Seeker Micro 6, which is a synthesized micro dual conversion RX that I use in one of my foamies. There had been some comment that the synth 14MZ might not work with the Polk synth RX. It seems to work just fine in my shop. Will try to range check and then fly it tomorrow, weather permitting.

The time was very close to correct when I got the unit..... the year was set to 06.... the battery was of course in the yellow bag.... so what I've seen so far the time & date stay with or with out the battery.

Did a fairly extensive & accurate range check today... with the antenna in place and fully collapsed per manual. Compared it to a match tuned 10X module & 9 channel JR-960S rec. (had these for several years). Anyway the comparison / range check proved out to be very close to the same which surprised me!

The receiver in both cases was in a foamy Formosa placed exactly the same in both tests. I dialed in the same frequency! Just switched receiver's and transmitter's for the two range checks.

The new Futaba 14MZ was slightly better in this test. I could actually bend down and almost place the transmitter on the ground turn 360 degrees and only get one direction that would failsafe, and it would recover the R/F link without getting closer or standing up!

The JR was within 10 paces of the same distance, but when the 10X went to the ground after seeing one or two fail-safes standing up and turning around 360 degrees.... the JR R/F link was at it's limit and would not recover from failsafe until I stood up and walked in another 20 paces. AGC circuit a little tight in the JR!

The total distance for the Futaba was 220 paces or about 660 feet. The distance for the 10X was about 200 paces or about 600 feet. The electric motor on the Formosa was running all the time at 1/2 power. The airplane was mounted on a wood stand about 3 feet above the ground.

With the antenna mounted but collapsed per instructions the distances become far enough to require a second person to signal when failsafe happens, too far to see elevator or rudder move to failsafe position!
It so happens about 300 feet is the limit on the JR with the antenna removed.... didn't try the Futaba with out the antenna because a new module would be hard to get and probably very expensive!

NOTE: Over the years I have never had any transmitter module effected by operating the transmitter without the antenna. I know the manuals say not to do it, but I've yet to kill or weaken a module doing it...
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
mc3854

Andre,

Sony digital camera battery is the exact same battery as in the transmitter. NP-F570 I ran mine all day yesterday with one in it. Charger is even the same as the camera battery charger.

As stated above, I modified my charger to charge the battery with my Sirius LI-Ion charger. Works perfectly!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I got my hands on one this weekend. I did not fly it, I was only able to look at it, the LHS had one in stock. I also looked at the manual ..

1> No doubt a very nice radio, best in class
2> Easy to program, although about the same as the 10x, just more graphical
3> light weight and very nice ergos, definitely lighter in weight than the 10x
4> awesome large LCD
5> synthesizer... its about time! Great feature for sure.

6> worth $2200 ? Probably not although I was one of the idiots that paid $1000 for a CD player when they first came out!
7> worth dropping the 10x to convert ? Absolutely not

While it definitely is "the" high end radio its hard to justify that kind of bread for a radio unless you can absolutely use its features. I can afford anything I want but for that price it better make me feel like I just came back from 3 days at the mustang ranch!

I guess I'll just wait for JR to catch up, in the mean time, I will continue to fly with my outdated and mundane JR 10x
DP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.