Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Digital Trim Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 12:02 AM
440GTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Trim Questions

I just picked up a Hitec Eclipse for my heli.
This is my first radio with digital trims.
I like everything EXCEPT the digital trims.
I like to see where the trims are are.
Is it just me do others feel the same way about
digital trims
Old 09-17-2002, 02:38 AM
rcpilotsteve-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I have digital trims on my RD6000super, Love 'em but I do have a display with a line graph. I still know where they are.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:14 AM
marv119

You definatly are not alone!!! I absolutly hate digital trims.I do not hear real well and cant hear the radio when it beeps to tell you the trims are moving.To make matters worse the longer you hold it the faster the trim goes.I can hear the beep when there are no engines running but a guy don't need to trim then.
I was lucky and was able to order a new 8103 without the digital trims(new old stock i assume)from my hobby shop on my channel #
Old 09-17-2002, 03:31 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Having multiple model memory, it helps to have digital trims. When I switch models, even the trim is stored in memory !!!!

A big plus !!!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:00 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I use an old Hitec Flash 5 as a buddy box. It has digital trims, but they are implemented using rocker switches, are slow and trim changes are not automatically memorized between flights... yuo have to remember to bring up a menu setting and save them. This setup sucks.

My main radio is a JR 10X. I *love* the trim setup on this box! Keeping the manual ratchet on the throttle is a masterstroke.

Also the fact that all trim changes are memorized automatically for each model memory means no more retrimming after switching model memories.

The only time I *don't* like the digital trims is during a maiden flight with an out-of-trim model. When you take off and the plane does something funky its nice to be able to get full trim instantly. Just a minor inconveniance... just means that I have to fight the bird to a safe altitude and trim at that point.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I think digi trims are great. You don't have to worry about them getting inadvertently bumped, while moving the tx around. You don't have to worry about remembering trim positions when you switch from model to model. If you can't hear the beep, just bump your trim once, as you would normally do, then watch the change in your model's flight.

I didn't like it on the throttle at first, but now I've learned to use a momentary switch for throttle cut.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:17 PM
GMPheli

The Airtronics Stylus has analog trims with a trim memory. It only registers a trim change when the unit is on and the trims are moved. And it only changes trims on the flight mode that you are in at the time. If you move the trims with the tranny off, or switch models, trims are unchanged. The best of both worlds. (it is called automatic dynamic trim memory, and it may be a function of the heli card, not sure if the base model has it or not)

AlanAngus
Old 09-17-2002, 04:43 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default Eclipse Digital Trims

440GTX:

My Eclipse was the first radio I had w/digital trims. I really do like the digitals (once I got used to them) but I just HATE the way the Eclipse handles them. I do not like having to go into the menu and move the trim to see where they are (percent wise) then MOVE IT BACK where it was then exit the menu. The instruction manual was also no help in explaining them and, in fact, my manual talked about the trims (when it did) as if they were analog style.

I got a Futaba 9C in April and the digital trim positions are always visible on the display screen. Much better (IMHO). The Eclipse has been relegated to flying only my electrics and, since it has the Spectra module, a "backup radio" for myself and others in the club.

My .02 on this subject.

Dan