Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2/3AA for reciever battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
RVman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2/3AA for reciever battery

I am just wondering why it seems that everyone uses regular AA size batteries for receiver in airplane. When we want to save weight why not go with 2/3AA cells which are lighter and still have enough capacity. Is there any reason not to use them?? Alot of the car guys use 6V 2/3 AA reciever packs. Is there any reason not to use those battery packs for my airplane. Then i can go to 6V and have the same weight as a regular 4 cell pack.
thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 11:21 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 2/3AA for reciever battery

2/3 AA are fine.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
RVman

thank you
Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM
exeter_acres

I haven't used 2/3 yet, but I do use 4/5th///no problem
Old 03-23-2005, 08:57 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The issues is not the size of the cells but teir capacity and their ability to handle the amp flow.

If you are using 2/3 cells that are rated for motor use, such as the 900 mah cells I use on my Aerobird, they are GREAT receiver packs. However if you are using cells that can't meet your amp requirements, then you have a problem.

It is not the size of the cell, but its ability to deliver the needed current.

BTW, AA cells are cheap and typically meet the needs, so why go to the more expensive 2/3 cells unless you are trying to save weight. For many applications, if you make the pack lighter, you end up adding lead.

I use 4 A 2100 mah cells in my 3M sailplane simply because it was better to have bigger cells than more lead.

I am preparing a 3.6M scale sailplane. I might end up using 5 A cell pack OR I might use Sub C cells if I need the balance weight. Again, reserve power is better than lead.