Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR,Futaba pos,neg shift question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:10 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR,Futaba pos,neg shift question

Anyone know why the big two don't make radios that can change the shift so you can use a competitors receiver? I see Hitec offers this on some of their transmitters but not for PCM. I use Futaba and the new Jr 9303 looks real nice but just thinking about swapping out 10+ receivers blows the idea right out of the water . Just wondering if it's purely a technical thing or marketing or both.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: JR,Futaba pos,neg shift question

I was all set to buy the 9303. But then I remembered all my RX's are neg shift. Drat!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK concerning compatablity of PCM systems, there is no interbrand compatability with anybodys systems and both Hitec and Futaba have older and newer PCM systems that are not compatable with each other within brand.

Of the four major brands in this country only Hitec and Airtronics have some Tx's featuring shift selectability and only Hitec has a synth module to team with that selectabilty. A synth system without shift select is just not going to provide what we want as customers. As to why the other two do not I won,t go there. I can say I beleve #1` only uses negative shift in the North American market and else where their products are positive shift. Although they are soon to have a synth module I seriously doubt they will ever sell selectable Tx's in the North American market.

John
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
GBR2

Yep, it was a marketing thing. Everyone else in the world is positive shift but when Futaba started selling here, they went with negative shift to basically lock you into their equipment. I know Futaba now has a synth Tx module out but I'm not sure if it is "shift selectable".
Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
turbo4
My Feedback: (3)

This is an interesting post as I am in the same boat. The reason I bought the hitec E7 was for the spectra and the shift capabilities. But the problem now is the radio is lacking on features I need for larger planes. Luckily 4 of my five recievers are shift selectable, and one is a futaba. Im looking at the 9C. FWIW I have never needed to change channels on the TX, and if I did I dont keep a supply of various RX crystals anyhow. I have not used my TX in pcm mode yet thus I dont know if you can change shift within pcm
Old 03-24-2005, 10:32 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo4

I dont know if you can change shift within pcm

This is a moot point all four of the majors PCM systems are propropritory. There is no interbrand compatability and modulation shift is not relevant.

John