Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

mixing hitech and airtronics servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:14 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mixing hitech and airtronics servos

Does anybody know if mixing servos from different manufacturers on a single plane causes any problems. One person I asked says that it will cause interference and buzz, another said it causes no problems at all. Which is correct?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: mixing hitech and airtronics servos

Really depends on what ya got in mind. For example on a trainer or a simple sport airplane its really no problem at all. Now say you want to use them on a dual aileron servo set up or worse on as a dual elevator servo set up with split or tied elevators then its not what I would do and the reason is the mismatch in servo power, speed and centering.

I do it all the time but agine it all depends. By the way Hitec and Futaba servos are reversed from each other Not sure about Airtronics or JR.

John
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
jeffk464

I have 5 airtronics servos connected to all control surfaces, I want to use a hobbico or hitec retract servo in this plane to save a little money. Should this be ok or will I get buzz or glitches.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Plug and play its not a problem! If this is your first use of a retract servo keep in mind these are not proportional servos meaning once triggered they will trave the full throw and do not respond to endpoint adjustments on the Tx. All adjusting is done mechanically by the size and throws of the output arm. This use is why some manufacturers include large oversize undrilled output wheels. Also these servos travel a full 180 degrees or just over.

John

Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 PM
jeffk464

cool thanks for the info
Old 04-09-2005, 06:26 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Here's a problem with mixing servos of different makers; the airtronics servos have 24 splines, the Hi-tec servos have 25 splines, You need different horns. If you have them no problem but if you have lots of airtronics stuff (like me) it could be a problem matching up the different splines.