Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 08:40 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Problem?

Yesterday at the field my plane did not respond at all when the radio was turned on.....checked the batteries, Tx and Rx were both fine, bypassed the switch, still nothing......finally, a little later I tried it again....when the antenna of the radio touched metal, the servos would chatter.....we thought it was the Tx....but when I got home, I tried a different Tx on the same channel.....the result was the same, the servos chattered when the antenna was touched to metal....but no control whatsoever.......do you guys think this is a bad reciever, or could it just be the rx crystal? I haven't tried changing the crystal because the only other one I have on the same channel is a Hitec...the one with the problem is an Airtronics. I would appreciate any insight on this.....

Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Sounds like either the RX or crystal to me. I don't know of any way to test a crystal. Maybe you could borrow a crystal from someone as a test.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Do you range test your planes and if so, is the range test shorter?
Old 09-27-2002, 03:24 AM
marv119

Uh Geistware did you read his post? How can he range test a plane that doesn't work?
Glowplug it sure sounds like you have a bad xtal to me.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:13 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar happen.. was flying along and rolled on the back and then .. nothing. The plane would not respond. After the crash we checked the batteries.. they were good. I exchanged crystals.. RX would not work with the original or the replacement. Rx was sent back to JR for further investigation. The radio was new in the spring. My guess is that the Rx went and took the crystal out in the crash.. ps when the servo was plugged into the Rx they would jump then nothing.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:55 PM
glowplug

Hmmmmm.....so far it's sounding like I may have to try a new crystal.......the reciever is an older airtronics with the old-style connectors...does anybody know if new airtronics crystals will work in it?
Also, a friend of mine has an extra receiver that is just like mine.....so I'm going to try that also....

Mike
Old 09-30-2002, 10:44 AM
redxfred
My Feedback: (3)

Glowplug: I heard of a guy who uses channel 40 and 41 crystals in his Futaba T6XAS (factory tuned to ch 40). Of course WE would never do this!

Whenever HE forgets, and leaves the the channel 40 transmitter crystal installed while trying to control his channel 41 plane, it acts just like yours.

Hope this helps...
Fred
VA
Old 09-30-2002, 01:32 PM
glowplug

Fred....sounds like YOU'VE been there when HE has done this?? he he he.
Well, in that case....it sounds like a crystal.....I'll have to try that first. Thanks

Mike