Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range Problem.... C.f. Fuse

Old 09-30-2002, 02:53 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Problem.... C.f. Fuse

New airplane... 2 meter pattern plane, carbon fiber fuse.

Futaba 8UA, Futaba PPM receiver, 1500 min NiCad, JR 8411 midi's on wings, JR8411 rudder, Futaba 9202 elevator, Hitec S81 on throttle. Pull/pull on elevator and rudder using nylon coated cable and nylon control arms and clevis. Carbon fiber pipe on exhaust. Trans and receiver previously flown in an other aircraft for test porposes with no problems but with standard servos and it was a balsa fuse.

Ran antenna outside of fuse along bottom. Was having a problem getting a good range check. At about 75 feet engine running and with engine off everything starts to jitter. When moving antenna back towards fuse about 3 inches from fuse servos would start to jitter again. I then moved the antenna away from fuse and would get about 125+ feet which is acceptable with trans antenna collapsed. I flew the airplane with the anntenna attached at the wing tip with no problems.

What possibilities could cause this condition? Is it the c.f fuse or the pull/pull wires?? I have an other plane that has a c.f. fuse but I am running a PCM receiver if it makes any difference. And I run the antenna outside with it and have had no problems.

How about it anyone running c.f fuse have any experiences like this?
Old 09-30-2002, 03:06 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi Wayne,

Can you replace the nylon coated cables (I assume metallic cables) with Kevlar pull-pull? If this works, then it is (was) a cable problem. Is it too late to run a tube in your wing, to allow sliding the antenna thru the wing? To get away from both suspects?

CF is supposed to be conductive, but I know of many other models with CF fuselages. None of mine... I'd still try to keep the antenna away from the fuselage.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Carbon fiber will block the signal from your Tx. I have a plane with an all carbon fuse and range was an issue. It doesn't matter if the Rx is PCM or not. (mine is) To get the best range I mounted the Rx as close as possible to the fuse side and ran the antenna outside the fuse to the vertical fin. You need to expose as much antenna as possible and get it as far from the fuse as possible. This gave the best results for me.

Good Luck
Pete
Old 10-03-2002, 03:54 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Originally posted by Ron S
Hi Wayne,

Can you replace the nylon coated cables (I assume metallic cables) with Kevlar pull-pull? If this works, then it is (was) a cable problem. Is it too late to run a tube in your wing, to allow sliding the antenna thru the wing? To get away from both suspects?

CF is supposed to be conductive, but I know of many other models with CF fuselages. None of mine... I'd still try to keep the antenna away from the fuselage.
Ron,

It appears to be the receiver. R127DF Futaba recievers I guess have low tolerance to this stuff. I put an FMA Fortress 8 channel in and it works fine. I understand it has something to do with how the antenna is setup. FMA, Hitec are I believe base loaded. The c.f. fuse must effect the tuning of the low end Futaba receivers. This plane is worth more then a cheap receiver so I must upgrade and save these for my fun fly wooden models.

Wayne