Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What's a Flight Condition?

Old 10-03-2002, 01:16 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a Flight Condition?

As the subject asks, what's a flight condition? How are they used? Why are they helpful? Can the 8U and 9C do flight conditions?

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:53 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Flight Conditions

Don't know about the Futaba but in my Multiplex 4000 they're called Flight Modes and I suspect they're similar functionally. They allow you to set multiple flight conditions by flipping one switch.

For example, if I switch from Normal Flight to Landing mode the flaps will extend at a preset rate, say 5 sec., to full extension. Meanwhile the elevator trim is driving at the same rate to offset the trim change and the throttle is advancing 10% (or whatever I programmed in) to overcome the increased drag.

On a multi engine airplane you might program a Take Off mode with partial flaps, landing gear extended and uncoupled aileron to rudder mix.

If, after Take Off, you flip the switch to Normal flight the gear comes up, the flaps retract and the aileron couples automatically to the rudder. You could reset trim as well if you wanted.

Since the Mode switch is a three position switch you can see the possibilities. And there are ways to get more than three Flight Modes.

Hope this helps a little.

Tom
Old 10-03-2002, 07:53 AM
My Feedback: (62)

Default Condition

To my knowledge, the 8U and 9C are not capable of flight conditions. I own boht a Futaba 9ZAPS and a JR 10X. Both of those have flight conditions, but are very different in how they are accomplished, and what they are/do. Before I give my opinion let me say this, I like both radios and they both work fine. They fly my planes perfectly but are just different, thats all.
Customer service experiences with both companies have been exemplary to say the least. OK, when Futaba gives you a flight condition, it is a clean sheet of software with each and every option being available to the user. That is to mean, when you are first setting up your plane all of the menus are available whether you choose to use them or not. Once you set up the plane and decide to use a condition, you get the same set of options that was available to you initially. The JR offers conditions on the 10X but they are not as versatile. Maybe someone else can go further with this and use better examples for the JR. I've chosen to not use conditions at this stage of the game for simplicity reasons. I've been doing this since 1976 and just want to keep it simple these days. I did use conditions but it took a seperate folder with explanations to keep all of the different planes and conditions in order. If you search for this topic, I know there are several threads on it. Take care_bob